Harang - $2M buyout
    Cordero - $12.125M
    Rolen - $8.167M
    Phillips - $11.188M
    Chapman - $3.708M
    Masset - $1.545M
    Alonso - $1M
    Subtotal = $39.733M

Near Minimum ($400,000 - $500,000 range)
    Wood
    Bailey
    Valaika (if on team)
    Stubbs
    Smith
    Ondrusek
    Maloney
    LeCure
    Leake
    Heisey
    Francisco
    Janish
    Hanigan
    Subtotal = approximately $6M

Question Marks
    Arroyo - re-sign him to big contract, or exercise one year option for $11M, or buy him out for $2M?
    Hernandez - had a vesting option for $3.25M that kicked in for 2011 if he played in a 120 games or more. Obviously that didn't happen. Not sure if it's still a mutual option or not. Do you bring him back? I think they do because of all of the latino pitchers on the team.
    Cabrera - $4M mutual option or $1M buyout if team declines option.
    Rhodes - made $2M each of the last 2 seasons. He's a free agent. Do you bring him back or did he wear down as the season went on? Not sure.
    Bloomquist - made $1.7M last season. He's a free agent that can play multiple positions. Kind of like a Cairo who can also play the OF. Is he worth it?
    Russ Springer - do you sign him to another minor league contract or not? Or does he retire?
    Edmonds - gonna be 41 years old and he made $850,000 this past season.
    Gomes - $1.75M option for 2011. I think they pick it up.
    Cairo - made $500,000 in 2010. He's a free agent.
    Corky Miller - made minor league wages in 2010.
    Laynce Nix - they declined arbitration on him last year and re-signed him after no team showed interest. Supposedly made the minimum in 2010.
    Isringhausen - is he done or bring him back to the minors to see what he has?

Arbitration Eligible
    Votto - negotiate long term contract now or wait?
    Bruce - same as Votto
    Cueto - same as Votto
    Volquez - I'd wait on Edison to make sure his arm is okay. He only played part of the season so he shouldn't get much of a raise in arbitration.
    Bray - Another who came back from surgery. Shouldn't get much in arbitration to hurt the team right now.
    Burton - was in the minor's all season long. Might get a paycut. LOL.
    Owings - wouldn't surprise me to see them decline arbitration and release him to free agency.

Waiting in the wings.........
    Jose Arredondo - will he recover, return to pre-surgery form, and be a factor in the bullpen next season?
    Balentein - what are their plans for this guy?
    Cozart
    Frazier
    Dorn
    Mesoraco
    Grandal

There are alot of questions about this team heading into the offseason.
    Team Payroll - always keep in mind we are small market and more than likely will peak at a payroll around $75M - $80M at the most. Arbitration eligible players are biggest factors right now. Arbitration could increase the payroll $20M alone. Based on those locked in for next year with the highest paid contracts and the guys making minimum, this team is already at $46M approximately. Add in another $20M for the arbitration guys and they're around $66M. Then there is a rumor of signing Arroyo long term. That might kick us up to $80M. That leaves zero payroll flexibility unless someone making a bunch of money is traded (Phillips?).

Discuss................
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2011 Team Payroll

IDK but i see the reds being active in the trade market especially if arroyo signs long term i think we trade some pitchers for a bigger piece. if it was just a one year deal i think you hold

also would love to find a trade partner for cordero

i keep hernandez until our young minor league catchers are ready to split time w/ hanigan.

and i'd really like to know what alonso's future looks like for the reds. maybe thats answered in spring training

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Winning is fun.

It's hard to discuss what payflex there might be until we know if Votto, Bruce and Arroyo are going to sign long term deals.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    It's hard to discuss what payflex there might be until we know if Votto, Bruce and Arroyo are going to sign long term deals.
    Exactly. I lean towards excercising the 1 yr option on Arroyo, arbitration with Votto and locking up Bruce long term. Votto can't possibly get any more expensive than he already is and another year of Arroyo at 11M makes sense for the Reds.

If that is the direction they go, it does chew up a lot of the payflex. I would lean towards not bringing back almost any of our other "question marks" and using that money to fill the holes.

I will play if someone gives me a global budget. Thanks for the thread BTW.

Makes no sense to try and sign Votto long term now, because as someone already said, his value is at an all-time high. I would try to sign Bruce long-term.

Would not like seeing Arroyo signed to a long-term deal. I think this next year is it for him with us.

Wouldn't mind seeing Phillips in a package trade either for a rock solid LF OR as salary relief to free up money to get a LF, as I think we have existing middle infield help in our system that, while certainly not up to BP's level, certainly doesn't fall too short. And as we saw in glimpses this year, Valaika might not be a bad #2 guy to Stubbs' lead-off man.

Man.. this stuff makes my head hurt.

Love the guy, but I hope Gomes does not return. I would like to see Heisey out there everyday in left. It'd be one of (if not the) best defensive outfields in baseball.

Very thorough financial report Vottomatic, thanks!

I do think that the payroll will be higher than $75-80M, especially since that is what is was in 2010, and the Reds had a decent increase in attendance, went to the playoffs and should see a nice jump in season ticket sales in 2011. I would say at least $85M, maybe even higher. Especially since Cast got a taste of contending and now wants to win to it all.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

And a few small corrections...

Only $1M of Chapman's salary comes out of the team payroll. The rest comes out of the team's development chest. It was set up that way specifically so that the Reds could afford more major league talent over the length of Chapman's contract. Actually only $14M of his $30M contract comes out of payroll. The rest comes out of development money.

The $20M for the arb guys is a worst case scenario. I would think that most of the those guys will sign before arb for less, or sign a backheavy long term deal. So it's really hard to put a hard number on it. But if the all go to arb and win, it will be around $20M for all of them.

And signing Arroyo only adds $11M at most to the payroll, especially if he signs a long term contract that likely will include a reduced 2011 for security for a few years.

But overall you are correct, the Reds will have little payflex in 2011 (maybe $3-5M) without a bump in payroll.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Votto, is going to cost mega-bucks, (He deserves it).
    Bruce will not be cheap.
    Take Arroyo's option, and hope he isn't necessary after '11.

So many teams are going to come calling looking to acquire Reds young pitchers. We will have to trust Walt to trade the right guys, and get the max return. No more instead of Bruce, how about we give you Hamilton? And, Okay, we'll take Volquez instead of Wilson. (Not a slur on Bruce or Volquez, just how would the alternatives worked out).

Turn Off Ads?