Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy 70th birthday, John Lennon

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Happy 70th birthday, John Lennon

Thank you Matt for starting this thread, because I was going to.

Lennon has been a huge inspiration in my life, through his music and his message. Love each other and live in peace. It's such a simple message that we can't seem to wrap our minds around it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I listen to WGRR (Oldies) here in Cincinnati and they have a few contests going around John's birthdate, so its been in the back of my mind this week. But I honestly didn't think about it when I picked a Beatles t-shirt to wear today. Had black jeans on and thought the shirt (black with the group circa Rubber Soul) would look good together.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

One of the biggest influences on my life, along with Paul and the Beatles (as a group). They have left an indelible impression on my very soul that I will never be able to shake and never want to. As a youngster I was the typical Beatlemaniac. And when they broke up I was like most who "wandered" through the 70s selfishly hoping for a reunion because I didn't want it to end.

Of course I'm a lot older now, and when I reflect back on John's life I consider it quite tragic regardless of his huge success and cultural impact. He came from a broken home where his parents both abandoned him. And in his teen years, when he was reconciling with his mother, she was tragically taken from him. Those "scars" are what created the John Lennon we all came to know. And he hid his pain behind his often sarcastic whit. Songs like "I'm A Loser" and "Help" really revealed a lot about John's inner pain and void in his life.

And that is what's so sad to me. He tried to fill that void and erase that pain via all types of avenues, be it the Beatles, money, fame, drugs, therapy, and some of the associations he had over the years.

And when he finally found that answer, that peace, within his family, and especially his son (Sean), while reconciling and trying to rebuild that relationship with his other son (Julian), he was murdered. It's just very, very sad.

The BBC's Andy Peeple's did an extensive interview with John two days before he died. I remember listening to it and made copies. Here's a link to Pt 1, with the other parts listed on the right..... YouTube - John Lennon - The Complete BBC Interview, 12/6/1980 Part 1

I've been re-listening to it after many, many years. It almost brings tears to my eyes.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Some insight into John Lennon:

http://www.counterpunch.org/lennon12082005.html

It's a very political interview so I won't excerpt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Some insight into John Lennon:

http://www.counterpunch.org/lennon12082005.html

It's a very political interview so I won't excerpt.
    There's no denying that in the early 70's, after he moved to NYC, Lennon took up associations with what some call the "radical political left" like Rubin and Hoffman. And you see evidence of that in some of his songs from that period like "Power to the People", and albums like Plastic Ono Band, Mind Games, and especially Some Time in New York City. His involvement was what spurred our government, and misguided IMO, to try and deport him. The documentary "The U.S. Vs John Lennon" is highly recommended.

What's funny is that years later I listened to an interview where John, after he was finally issued his Green Card, was reflecting back on that period, and he was basically asked "Didn't you invite a lot of the trouble you incurred by your involvement with the radical left, and the anti-war movement?" Lennon kind of shrugged it off, laughed, and even facilitated, describing it as simply a phase he went through in his post-Beatle life. He had always been a Beatle and knew nothing else, and was simply scared not knowing what to do next. So he threw himself into the anti-war movement. And while he still held some fondness for some of the people, he also regretted some of his involvement, and that he allowed himself to be used because of his Beatle name and star power.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Personally I'd have a hard time being inspired by a guy who did drugs to the extent John did. The nude stuff he did with his homely wife wasn't too impressive either.

I do love his music though

People inspired by Mr Lennon would probably be prone to a less judgemental outlook.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    People inspired by Mr Lennon would probably be prone to a less judgemental outlook.
    Am I being judgemental when I say LSD is a very dangerous drug?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Am I being judgemental when I say LSD is a very dangerous drug?
    Different times, different mindset.

And this is coming from someone who's never tried anything other than alcohol. Not even weed. He clearly was into some things now considered very taboo...but his message (and that of his music) can't really be questioned very much. Peace, love & understanding. Kinda hard to go wrong with that formula.

That being said...happy belated b-day John. My favorite Beatle.

It takes a strong mind to traverse the psychedelic minefields.

Let me take you down 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
    Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
    Strawberry Fields forever.

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.
    It's getting hard to be someone but it all works out.
    It doesn't matter much to me.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

And this is coming from someone who's never tried anything other than alcohol. Not even weed. He clearly was into some things now considered very taboo...but his message (and that of his music) can't really be questioned very much. Peace, love & understanding. Kinda hard to go wrong with that formula.
    Pretty much sums it up. People seem to forget that even icons are flawed human beings just like the rest of us, and John would be the first to admit he made his share of mistakes and bad decisions in his life.

I downloaded a couple of Lennon's interviews last week mostly from radio stations and one from Howard Cosell that was really interesting. He was so open about everything and seemed genuinely down to earth as anyone as famous as he was could be. On several of them he even read the weather forecasts.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

That being said...happy belated b-day John. My favorite Beatle.
    Quoting Elvis for a Lennon thread. Works for me.

Turn Off Ads?