Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Carl Crawford

Carl Crawford

Watching this game 3 in the ALDS, I can't help but feel like this guy is exactly what this team needs. He fits in exactly with what the team does well, and addresses some of the holes that they have. He's already made 2 good catches tonight and just added an insurance run via HR in the top of the 9th for the Rays. He's already got experience on the biggest stage in baseball, something this team clearly needs.

I know he's expected to start a bidding war between the big market clubs, and the Reds wouldn't be expected to compete. The same thing was said about Chapman though, and we got him. If we got creative, we could clear payroll space for him. Moving a few of the players nearing arbitration for other missing pieces (like Cueto or Volquez) could help, as well as choosing not to retain players we have cheap replacements for like Cabrera and Hernandez. If we maybe moved Phillips, or Cordero with a couple prospects and chipping in on his salary, I think the team could make it work.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carl Crawford

i agree we could make it work. trading phillips could work since there is a replacemet player and there is no replacement player for LF. i'd love to trade cordero. i'd hate to trade phillips b/c ive come attached to this team so much that id hate to see him go but to be honest at the end of the day i just want th best collection of players on the field to help us win.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    i agree we could make it work. trading phillips could work since there is a replacemet player and there is no replacement player for LF. i'd love to trade cordero. i'd hate to trade phillips b/c ive come attached to this team so much that id hate to see him go but to be honest at the end of the day i just want th best collection of players on the field to help us win.
    I feel the same way. If you could move Cordero with say a Frazier or Francisco or another prospect, I think somebody bites on a year of his salary. That would honestly clear a year of Crawford's salary by itself.

Then if you really wanted to get ambitious, you could move Cueto/Volquez with Mesoraco/Alonso or whoever to KC for Greinke. Take their arbitration eligible salaries out of consideration, and with the playoff money the team should be seeing, they'd be in good shape monetarily, and address two of the team's biggest holes.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The Reds need to start wheelin' and dealin' some of their surplus players and get the missing pieces of the puzzle.

I agree you need to look at the positions that have cheaper, nearly equal backups, such as Valaika for Phillips, and Janish for OCab.

Then they need to entice some team to take Cordero off their hands by adding in some desired prospects along with it, and the fact Cordero only has one more year wouldn't be too much for some team to take on if they want to rebuild with some quality prospects we give them.

Don't re-sign OCab (-$3M), trade Phillips (-$11M0, trade Cordero (-$12M).........save $26M.

Don't re-sign Gomes, even though he's cheap. We have plenty of OFers in waiting - Heisey, Balentien, Dorn, Sappelt, etc..........and if we're talking about signing Crawford, those guys would be backups anyway. So no room for Gomes if you sign Crawford.

Exactly. The team has already shown the ability to be creative in payroll management to get the guy they want, like in negotiating Chapman's contract. They reworked Rolen's contract, they traded Rosales with Taveras to get he and his marginal salary off the roster. Trading a guy like Maloney or another surplus guy with Cordero is something I wouldn't say would be out of pattern for this team.

There is no way in hell they can move Cordero to free up money. There are not alot of takers for overpaid closers who lead the league in blown saves.. just sayin

Let's say you go the super ambitious route and move all the parts around you need to get Crawford and Greinke:

2B Phillips
    LF Crawford
    1B Votto
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    CF Stubbs
    C Hanigan
    SS Janish

Greinke
    Arroyo
    Cueto/Volquez
    Wood
    Leake/Bailey

Chapman
    Rhodes (if you resign him)
    Masset
    Ondrusek
    Bray
    Burton

With guys like Valaika, Nix, Heisey, and whatever cheap veteran they might choose to replace Cairo, that's a pretty deep and well rounded team that would be the favorite for the division and be set-up to go deep in the post season.

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    There is no way in hell they can move Cordero to free up money. There are not alot of takers for overpaid closers who lead the league in blown saves.. just sayin
    No one would take Cordero just to take him, but with a good enough incentive prospect thrown in, a team with relief problems might be willing to roll the dice for a year if they get a good young player along with him.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Let's say you go the super ambitious route and move all the parts around you need to get Crawford and Greinke:

2B Phillips
    LF Crawford
    1B Votto
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    CF Stubbs
    C Hanigan
    SS Janish

Greinke
    Arroyo
    Cueto/Volquez
    Wood
    Leake/Bailey

Chapman
    Rhodes (if you resign him)
    Masset
    Ondrusek
    Bray
    Burton

With guys like Valaika, Nix, Heisey, and whatever cheap veteran they might choose to replace Cairo, that's a pretty deep and well rounded team that would be the favorite for the division and be set-up to go deep in the post season.
    I think Scott needs to be moved down the order and platooned with Francisco.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Rolen will consider retirement this offseason. He seems like a proud guy and his second half and postseason performance has been awful due to health problems.

We really need Bruce to emerge as that 4-hole hitter next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I think Scott needs to be moved down the order and platooned with Francisco.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Rolen will consider retirement this offseason. He seems like a proud guy and his second half and postseason performance has been awful due to health problems.

We really need Bruce to emerge as that 4-hole hitter next year.
    He definitely hasn't looked good. It's not a problem that's going to go away, but maybe an offseason of rest can at least help.

Complete off the wall idea, but I wonder what the price would be for Mark Reynolds from the DBacks to back up Rolen.
    Last edited by TC81190; 10-09-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Turn Off Ads?