Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Week 5- Bengals vs. Buccaneers

Re: Week 5- Bengals vs. Buccaneers

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Thanks to my location, I didn't get to see today's game, but Carson's pick and near pick problems that I've seen is bad decision making. I've now joined the Bratkowski is the problem bandwagon. I'm slow to jump, but too much talent for the offense to be throwing away game after game.
    You're fortunate you didn't see this one. It was brutal. As a 47-year old, lifelong Bengals fan, I've seen them meltdown in many ways over the years. But few have been uglier than yesterday's. Yes, Brat is and has been a problem for a long time now. How they guy still has the job I have no idea. But he is far from the only problem.

I've been a huge fan and supporter of Carson Palmer's since the day we drafted him, and I hate to say anything negative about him. But the truth is, he's killing our offense right now. I hope it's some kind of confidence issue and he'll overcome it. Time will tell. But back-to-back losses to the Browns and Bucs, with the brutal schedule we have coming up, may have already doomed this season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

In a way, it really made me sad to hear so many fans boo Carson Palmer when they acknowledged him passing 20,000 career passing yards yesterday. The guy hasn't been right since the elbow injury in early 2008 (whether that's a coincidence or not, who really knows) and no one in their right mind could reasonably argue he's playing good football right now, but it's crazy to think that it's gotten to this point. Unfortunately, I can still clearly remember the days of Klingler, O'Donnell, Akili, Frerrote, Kitna (pre-2003), etc. and it stinks to realize we're probably to the point that we have to again start looking for a replacement at that position.

Again, I have no idea if it's injury, a mental issue from lack of trust in his offensive line and/or previously suffered injuries, his offensive coordinator, all of those, or what, but the guy just doesn't make the decisions these days you'd expect out of an eight year veteran. Enough of his throws lack the zip he used to have (see yesterday's INT return) that it does make you think it could be something physical, but even this year, I've seen him make some nice throws - just not nearly with the frequency we used to see. Still, it saddens me to see fans booing him when I know what the alternative very well could (and likely will) be and for all that he's meant to the organization in finally providing competent QB play for many years (even though you're clearly not seeing that now).

I've been a Bengals fan since 1982 - the bottom line is -

Marvin has to go. He doesn't play to win, he has to go.

If Carson can't turn it around in the next few games, I'am afraid he may have to go as well.

Anyone else have this fear that if we let Lewis go we go back to the 90's Bengals of 3-13, 4-12 years every season?

I am not thrilled with Marvin Lewis right now, but the alternative scares the crap out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Anyone else have this fear that if we let Lewis go we go back to the 90's Bengals of 3-13, 4-12 years every season?

I am not thrilled with Marvin Lewis right now, but the alternative scares the crap out of me.
    Absolutely - even though Marvin has some fairly major faults, there's no comparison in his teams during his tenure and the 1991 - 2002 Bengals.

I think Marvin has proven the Bengals can win. Its time for the next coach to come take them to the next level.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

To the next level? With this obtuse owner and the rest of his family of car clowns?

The next coach has to have the players knowing that he is in charge.

Only Forrest Gregg has shown he could actually command the respect needed to coach in this organization. I always saw Wyche as more of a joke with a brilliant offensive mind that thought too much and wanted to be liked too much.

Those 1985-1989 teams should have been in the playoffs every year...and only managed to do so in 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Absolutely - even though Marvin has some fairly major faults, there's no comparison in his teams during his tenure and the 1991 - 2002 Bengals.
    What is even more scary to me is that if Marvin is let go, it is going to be next to impossible to bring in a coach who would generate instant respectability to the franchise. (Bill Cowher is not walking through that door).

Add in that we have two aging wideouts in TO and Ocho, a QB who just turned 30 with plenty of question marks, a pretty suspect running game, and a very pourous offensive line. Unless Shipley bounces back, Jermaine Gresham might be the only building block this team has to look forward to.

The defense might be the only glimmer of hope down the road, and even that has problems. I'm hoping the Tampa game though is a turning point, where we were constantly applying pressure to Freeman.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Marvin needs to go. He's had long enough.

Palmer needs to go, as well. I'd draft a QB and start him as a rookie. Having a rookie HC and a rookie QB isn't the end of the world. The Ravens went 11-5 in 2008 with both.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Regardless of how you feel about Marvin, I'll be surprised if he's back here next year. If reports are correct, he's made it clear there are some things that have to change if he's going to be back (building a bubble to allow them to practice indoors during bad weather being at the top of the list). Anyone who's followed this organization for any time knows Mike Brown does not, and will not, back down in these stalemates - the man is simply too stubborn.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Marvin needs to go. He's had long enough.

Palmer needs to go, as well. I'd draft a QB and start him as a rookie. Having a rookie HC and a rookie QB isn't the end of the world. The Ravens went 11-5 in 2008 with both.
    You are correct sir.

Today's QB needs to be mobile, be able to get out of the pocket, throw on the run. I'm afraid Palmer just isn't the guy. I had high hopes for Marvin, but his time has run out - PLAY to WIN... too many times with not much time on the clock - he chooses to punt it away... Dude, look at the score... PLAY to win... atleast give the team a chance. You gotz to go!

arod, are you Herm Edwards? He was a "play to win" guy too. :

YouTube - Herm Edwards "You play to win the game!"

But anyway, welcome to the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

If Marvin leaves best case scenario is they get another coach in here who can do as well as Marvin, i.e. 8-8 being the norm with the odd outlier 4-12 or 10-6 season here and there.

The more likely scenario is that the Bengals relive the 90's until Mike Brown is dead. And possibly beyond because nobody really knows how Katie will do as owner.

Wouldn't shock me to see the team leave at some point in the next 10-20 years, Brown offering Hamilton county monetary concessions in exchange for getting out of the stadium lease early makes you wonder.

The whole thing is a shame, as fans we all deserve better. I don't ask for much and I was perfectly happy with the 2009 season, but this is looking like it'll be year 20 without a playoff win. That's ridiculous.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

BTW, this is the owner of the Bengals:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...spartone090210

Mike Brown isn’t especially gifted in terms of economic generosity, entrepreneurial enterprise or assembling winning football teams. When it comes to unintentional comedy, however, the Cincinnati Bengals owner has no peers in his profession.

Year after year, Brown is the NFL’s answer to Yogi Berra. At league meetings you can always count on the backward-looking, disapproving Grinch to make a self-serving comment that leaves the room in hushed silence – and, later that night, provokes uncontrollable fits of laughter at dinner tables and on barstools.

There was the time Brown, while making an analogy about his change of heart regarding the waiving of club-seat premiums, invoked the name of Adolf Hitler. Another year Brown was the lone owner to speak out against commissioner Roger Goodell’s personal-conduct policy, insisting that each owner should be able to keep his/her own house in order – and ignoring the irony that the Bengals employed more miscreants than any other franchise.

Last spring Brown was at it again, this time as one of the only voices against lengthening the regular season. Brown’s concern about a potential move to an 18-game regular season (while cutting back to two preseason games) wasn’t based on player safety; rather, it had to do with weather considerations. “If you were giving me my choice,” Brown told a stunned audience of 50 owners and club executives, according to two witnesses, “I’d rather sell an extra preseason game in August than another regular season game in January. It’s bad for us to sell tickets in the cold. My fans would rather have the game when it’s warm.”

To Brown’s credit, he announced at last week’s owners’ meetings in Atlanta that he had changed his mind – he’d rather have a ninth regular season contest at Paul Brown Stadium than a second preseason home game. There was just one caveat: no home games in January. When NFL schedule czar Howard Katz assured Brown, “You can be away the last month of the season,” the owner enthusiastically agreed.

Said one NFC owner: “There are 31 teams who’d rather play at home down the stretch … and then there’s Mike Brown.

Brown, shrewd and ever-conscious of the bottom line with perhaps the sweetest stadium deal of any owner in sports, reportedly offered $40 million in lease concessions to cash-strapped Hamilton County in exchange for the option of getting out of his lease (which runs through 2025) almost 10 years early, potentially increasing franchise value. On a league level, Brown is viewed as a contrarian with an aversion to progress. “He doesn’t have a conscience,” says the aforementioned NFC owner. “He’s all about revenue-sharing – he comes right out and says, ‘I just want some of your money.’ He’s worn out his welcome with 99 percent of that room. He came out and said that new stadiums are the worst thing to happen to the NFL because they raised the bar for other clubs. Unbelievable.”
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

My favorite "Mike" story -- a guy I know and trust claims he saw Mike Brown at the Graeters in Mariemont a few years back (late 90s / early 2000s, I think the story goes). Mike rolled up to the place in a fairly beat-looking sedan (missing one hubcap) and walked in without saying a word to anyone. He stood in line, and when it came to his turn he ordered a single scoop of vanilla ice cream. Mike flashed his "Golden Buckeye" discount card for senior citizens, paid in exact change, and left without saying a word to anyone.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?