Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Agent Stock Watch: Jonny Gomes

Free Agent Stock Watch: Jonny Gomes

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Free Agent Stock Watch: Jonny Gomes

It will be interesting to see what the Reds do with Gomes.
    I kind of doubt that the Reds will be able to release him, and then resign him, but I figured someone would've snatched him up last year as well.

I think that due to his buyout, his true cost would only be something like 1.3 or 1.4 million (Can't recall).. IMO, he's worth bringing back as a backup OF at that price.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    It will be interesting to see what the Reds do with Gomes.
    I kind of doubt that the Reds will be able to release him, and then resign him, but I figured someone would've snatched him up last year as well.

I think that due to his buyout, his true cost would only be something like 1.3 or 1.4 million (Can't recall).. IMO, he's worth bringing back as a backup OF at that price.
    No question they should bring him back as the No. 4 OF (presuming they can sign or trade for a legit starting LF). I think you are accurate with your recollection of his contract situation. He is owed around $2 mil next year with a buyout of $500K or so. At that price, they absolutely should bring him back as the top backup OF. He can give Jay Bruce a break in RF on occasion, the LF a break on occasion and can pinch hit. Need to bring him back IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    No question they should bring him back as the No. 4 OF (presuming they can sign or trade for a legit starting LF). I think you are accurate with your recollection of his contract situation. He is owed around $2 mil next year with a buyout of $500K or so. At that price, they absolutely should bring him back as the top backup OF. He can give Jay Bruce a break in RF on occasion, the LF a break on occasion and can pinch hit. Need to bring him back IMO.
    That's solid Blitz. If used correctly Gomes is well worth the paycheck (and spot on the 25 man).

According to Cot's his buyout will be $200K this year

It's likely he'll be back. Probably to start the offseason as a platoon/4th OF type, but it wouldn't shock me to see him go in as the starter if there aren't any LF upgrades to be had in Walt's budget.

It would be very stupid for the Reds to decline Gomes' option.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

the key phrase

Gomes is a useful player if utilized correctly

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    the key phrase
    I think we can all agree that he is better used in certain situations. But the position has been somewhat distorted by some regarding last season.

I posted this in another thread, but many were given ample chance to take the position away from Gomes last season. Dickerson fell on his face. Nix was not good in the 1st half. Heisey did zero as a starter. Edmonds got hurt. Nix got hot, then got hurt.

I'd bet that if Nix and Edmonds didn't get hurt or if Heisey didn't collapse from August to the end of the season, Gomes' role would have been materially reduced. But the reality was that there really weren't many other options.

I think everyone (including Dusty and Jocketty) is aware that LF is a huge opportunity to upgrade. The question is how realistic is that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    It would be very stupid for the Reds to decline Gomes' option.
    Because poor defensive LFs than can only hit LH pitching are hard to find?

Because he's guaranteed to sign elsewhere if the Reds don't more than double his salary coming off a down year? (even though he resigned in the spring last year for just $800k)

Because the Reds don't have other reasonable OF options in house if he does resign elsewhere?

I understand that there's an argument for bringing Gomes back in a certain role. But I simply don't understand the idea that letting him walk would be a big mistake, as if he were irreplaceable.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 10-26-2010 at 12:10 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Because OFs than can only hit LH pitcher and who play horrible poor defense are hard to find?

Because he's guaranteed to sign elsewhere if the Reds don't more than double his salary coming off a down year?

Because they don't have other reasonable OF options in house?

I understand that there's an argument for bringing Gomes back in a certain role. But I simply don't understand the idea that letting him walk would be a big mistake, as if he were irreplaceable.
    Intangibles. If not for Gomes, no one on the team would care about baseball. Don't you pay attention to data?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Intangibles. If not for Gomes, no one on the team would care about baseball. Don't you pay attention to data?
    Meh. That's a gross overstatement of the position of the re-sign Gomes camp.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm ready to sever ties with Gomes and go a different direction entirely. But I recognize some of the tangible and intangible reasons to retain him, and these statements probably don't advance the discussion much.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Meh. That's a gross overstatement of the position of the re-sign Gomes camp.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm ready to sever ties with Gomes and go a different direction entirely. But I recognize some of the tangible and intangible reasons to retain him, and these statements probably don't advance the discussion much.
    I agree. It was a horrible statement, but I just wanted to beat whoever was going to say it to the punch.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Because poor defensive LFs than can only hit LH pitching are hard to find?

Because he's guaranteed to sign elsewhere if the Reds don't more than double his salary coming off a down year? (even though he resigned in the spring last year for just $800k)

Because the Reds don't have other reasonable OF options in house if he does resign elsewhere?

If Gomes' option were to be declined, I wouldn't cry over it. I like him, but if they can upgrade the spot then that is great.

But I have two issues with your rationale above:

I think we have seen solid evidence that Walt knows the market. We've seen him expose Dorn to the Rule 5 draft and watch him remain a Red. We've seen him non-tender Gomes last season and get him back at a reduced price. We've seen him cut Balentien last spring only to keep him after he went through waivers. I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt that, if he were to exercise Gomes' option, that means that there is likely a market for him.

Do they? I've seen more than a few reasonable options go down in flames the past few years. Like if the Reds go into 2011 with Heisey as the primary LF and he pulls a Dickerson, what happens then? I would have hated to see Walt listen to what a few people wanted this offseason and went with Dickerson as his primary LFer.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I think we have seen solid evidence that Walt knows the market. We've seen him expose Dorn to the Rule 5 draft and watch him remain a Red. We've seen him non-tender Gomes last season and get him back at a reduced price. We've seen him cut Balentien last spring only to keep him after he went through waivers. I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt that, if he were to exercise Gomes' option, that means that there is likely a market for him.
    I know I'm nitpicking a little here, but let's not act like he's perfect when it comes to understanding the market.
    He signed Willy Taveras to a Major League contract.
    He extended Mike Lincoln at a price that was probably much higher than necessary.
    Orlando Cabrera earned over $3M to put up (albeit arguably) the worst season of his career.
    He decided not to sign Jim Edmonds to a minor league contract.

I really like what Jocketty has done, and he understands the market very well imo, but let's not get out of hand with how well he's doing in terms of understanding the market.

Turn Off Ads?