Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most Painful Sports Loss of your Lifetime

Re: Most Painful Sports Loss of your Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

It was either 2006 or 2007, Christmas Eve - Bengals vs. Broncos.

The Bengals needed one win to make the playoffs, and they had marched down the field to score a touchdown that would tie the game, pending the PAT. Brad St. Louis promptly blew the snap and The Bengals missed the playoffs, on a missed extra point.

Probably not the most painful loss of my life but certainly worth mentioning. That one stung for quite a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

For a second I was like, c'mon an Akron-NIU game can't be that heartbreaking. Then I was like, wait a second, why is Tirico calling this game? Then I saw the top of the screen....

This happened at the MAC Championship??? That's a tough one to swallow....

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post

The Bengals needed one win to make the playoffs, and they had marched down the field to score a touchdown that would tie the game, pending the PAT. Brad St. Louis promptly blew the snap and The Bengals missed the playoffs, on a missed extra point.

Probably not the most painful loss of my life but certainly worth mentioning. That one stung for quite a while.
    To make matters worse, the next week they simply needed to beat the Steelers(and get some help later in the day,) with the score tied, Shayne Graham yanked an easy FG attempt wide. On the first play from scrimmage in OT Santonio Holmes scored on what I think was a simple WR Screen.

Of course the help they would have needed came later in the day.(It involved the 49ers winning I think.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    For a second I was like, c'mon an Akron-NIU game can't be that heartbreaking. Then I was like, wait a second, why is Tirico calling this game? Then I saw the top of the screen....

I thought you were going to say:

"Then I was like, wait a second, I was at this game!"

Seems like a common theme throughout this thread.

As bad as that was, like Hoosier Red said above, watching them lose the Pittsburgh game the following week in the manner they lost it was definitely worse, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

1. Carson Palmer's knee going boom. I literally didn't watch any of the game after that play and its still the worst game I have ever watched.

2. Kenyon Martin's leg going boom. I didn't watch this game either as it happened while I was in 10th grade. I remember hearing about it in the hallway on my way to English and just losing it. The best player in the country just went down on the best team in the country a week before the tournament. Then the committee goes out and gives us a #2 seed. Thanks guys.

3. Al Leiter.

4. Ohio State vs Miami - BCS Title game - And not for the reason that you would think. I am a huge Buckeye fan. My friends girlfriend had a few of us over that night to watch the game. Since it went to overtime, it lasted longer than expected and her parents kicked us out because it was 'too late'. I had to listen to the final few plays by Miami on the radio as we went 65 down a 35 trying to get to a TV.

5. I don't remember the exact game, or who the Reds were even playing.... but they won 15-2 and there were TWO brawls in the game. Why was it disappointing? I had tickets. My friend talked me into going out with him that afternoon and he promised he would get me back in time for the game. As we got back to the parking lot in Florence, Kentucky he went to start his car and it didn't start. Dead battery. We got a jump from a guy and drove through the parking lot. As we stopped at a stop sign in the parking lot, the car died. Wound up calling someone to come down there. My friends went to the store to get a battery. Came back, wrong battery. Had to go back again. By the time we got back to my house, it was already past 8. I didn't make it to the game. I still get angry over missing that game.

All Cincinnati basketball related:
    Miles Simon.
    West Virginia - half court in the tourney.
    UCLA double overtime.
    Syracuse in the BE tournament a few years ago.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 10-14-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    As bad as that was, like Hoosier Red said above, watching them lose the Pittsburgh game the following week in the manner they lost it was definitely worse, IMO.
    For some reason, I had it in my head that The Broncos game was the last game of the season. Aye, I'm losing it.

Some of these 8-8 Marvin seasons tend to run together. Optimism, tools to compete, 8-8 finish, disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post

It's even worse when you consider we haven't won a MAC Championship since 1983 and we won our final three games (one without Garrett Wolfe) and one at Toledo (a team we hadn't beat since 1990). We won all three playing a freshman QB because our starting QB got hurt in the first of our last three games. Winning a MAC Championship may seem insignificant in the realm of college football, but it's everything at NIU.

We still haven't won a MAC Championship to this day. We do, however, have a good shot at it this year.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Florida vs. Nebraska in the 1995 Fiesta Bowl, for the National Championship. Everyone was picking us to win and it was an absolute joke. I think Tommie Frazier just scored again.
    As a UF alum, I was actually in the stands that night at Sun Devil Stadium. To this day, I still get sick to my stomach when I see a bag of Tostitos. To make matters worse, I traveled there with a guy who was a pretty avid Nebraska fan.

I used to rag on him relentlessly about Nebraska; saying things like the Husker players thought the "N" on their helmets stood for "Nowledge"... When I was potty training my young son, I even taught him to say "See you in Lincoln!" every time he flushed the toilet.

Anyway, after watching my team get eviscerated for 60 minutes that night, I came away with a new found respect for Nebraska football fans. I have watched SEC college football games consistently for more than 30+ years. Husker fans travel better than any program I have ever witnessed before.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Husker fans travel better than any FOOTBALL program I have ever witnessed before.
    fixed.

As a Falcons fan, this was brutal. Especially when the safety trying to catch Rod Smith had a specific reason why he may have been a step slower that day.

YouTube - JOHN ELWAY TO ROD SMITH TD BRONCOS VS. FALCONS SUPERBOWL

Turn Off Ads?