Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most Painful Sports Loss of your Lifetime

Re: Most Painful Sports Loss of your Lifetime

Any of the Indiana Pacers playoff loses to the Knicks or Bulls in the mid to late 90's.

Also the Colts AFC championship game losses to the NE Pats.

I just really for some reason detest teams from the east coast.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 10-11-2010 at 11:36 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Probably MSU over TOSU in 1998. I still say that was the best college football team I have ever watched.
    That's definitely in my top 5. I agree that that was probably the best OSU team of my lifetime, and one of the best teams I've seen anywhere.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

UK/Duke, 1992, followed closely by the Bengals second Super Bowl loss to the 49ers. Those two losses took awhile to get over.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    That's definitely in my top 5. I agree that that was probably the best OSU team of my lifetime, and one of the best teams I've seen anywhere.
    I had seats in row seven on the 40 yard line behind the OSU bench (before the stadium renovations) that season. The punt that hit Nate Clements in the back fell right in front of me. Sickening. I remember just fuming for days. Look at the names on that team especially the defense. Several of those guys are still in the NFL.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 10-12-2010 at 12:08 AM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    Miami's hockey team loss to Boston University in the championship game in 2009. They gave up two goals in the final minute and lost in OT. I have it on tape and still will not watch it.
    Oh God how did I forget about that one? Never seen anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Mine happened as recently as this past year. The Kentucky-West Virginia game in the Elite Eight.
    Seriously not trying to rub it in, because I respect the heck out of that UK team.

However, it's amazing how one person's lowest sports moment can be one of another guy's (mine) most memorable good experiences.

Two words: Domenik Hixon

If you don't know what I'm talking about, youtube his name and Akron. Watch video. That one hurt for literally a month.

Illinois/North Carolina is a close second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

The family flew all the way out to Phoenix and essentially skipped Christmas to watch that debacle...

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    To this day, I honestly believe they were the best team in the country that year. The only two games they lost were when Pat White went down to injury. Seeing them wax OU 48-28 in the Fiesta Bowl only furthered my frustration, because they probably would have beaten OSU by even more had they not lost that stupid Pitt game.
    I don't remember a whole lot of details about that season, but WVU's defense was never good enough to make them the best team in the country, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Probably MSU over TOSU in 1998. I still say that was the best college football team I have ever watched.

What an incredible loss and probably the key in getting Cooper fired a few years later. I guess it shouldn't be that bad now that we have Coach Tressel. That loss absolutely shocked me to the core though.
    2006-07 Loss to Florida in the BCS Title Game. Florida came out and beat the snot out of OSU. OSU came in slow and lazy, something I never thought you would see out of a Tressel coached team. Troy Smith played one of the worst games of his career.

2007-08 Loss to LSU. Ohio State didn't have the talent but was playing well. They started the game out in a flurry up 10-0 and could have been better hand OSU not got dinged for a couple of penalties. After that they morphed into a bad team.

2005 Losses to Texas and PSU. Most talented team that I can remember. They had 1st round picks all over the roster in Holmes, Gonzales, Ginn, Whitner, Hawk, Carpenter, and Wells. Not to mention a Heisman winning QB. If Hamby catches the TD pass in the endzone OSU wins the game against Texas. Then the loss to PSU ended all hopes of OSU getting lucky and getting back into the BCS Championship mix. It wouldn't have mattered, but to have hope is a good thing.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

The second Super Bowl loss to the Niners and U of L's Final Four loss to Michigan St. Those hurt.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

The family flew all the way out to Phoenix and essentially skipped Christmas to watch that debacle...
    Ha. I was at this game as well. Most significant play Roy Hall made in his entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I don't remember a whole lot of details about that season, but WVU's defense was never good enough to make them the best team in the country, was it?
    Common misconception about that team was that they were all offense and no defense. Compared to their 2006, the offense actually struggled quite a bit that year, as Steve Slaton had appeared to have lost a step, and the offensive line started to wear down. Their defense was what actually made them such a great team. NO ONE ran on them, and their pass D was slightly above average if I remember right. The defense was absolutely loaded that year with a lot of 5th year seniors, and tons of playmakers, just not a lot of NFL talent. In the only two games they lost, they gave up 13, and 21 points.

Ha. I was at this game as well. Most significant play Roy Hall made in his entire career.
    IIRC Roy Hall caught the first TD pass against Michigan that year. It was after UM had marched down the field and scored first. IMO that was his most significant play. But yea him tackling Ginn in the end zone was idiotic.

1. 2001 Daytona 500, never been so sad over something in sports than what I was that year Dale Earnhardt died in the last turn of his favorite race, literally cried like a baby the next morning over his loss.

2. Game 1 of the 1995 NLCS, still remember literally crying when Reggie Sanders struck out to end the game, I knew we had lost the series when that strikeout occured.

3. 2007 Backyard Brawl-Pitt 13, WVU 9, literally cried and punch the couch over and over when it finally hit me that our legit chance at a national championship was taken away.

4. Game 2 the other night-knew we were finished, should have never been in the postseason, and I never was so melancholy about driving to a Reds game the way I was on Sunday. Didn't cry on this one but man was I depressed (and still) all weekend, what a way to ruin your weekend. I really didn't want this season to come to an end.

5. 1999 one game playoff, I really didn't want that season to come to an end.

Common misconception about that team was that they were all offense and no defense. Compared to their 2006, the offense actually struggled quite a bit that year, as Steve Slaton had appeared to have lost a step, and the offensive line started to wear down. Their defense was what actually made them such a great team. NO ONE ran on them, and their pass D was slightly above average if I remember right. The defense was absolutely loaded that year with a lot of 5th year seniors, and tons of playmakers, just not a lot of NFL talent. In the only two games they lost, they gave up 13, and 21 points.
    Maybe the past three editions of his Michigan squads has clouded my judgment. The mental conception I have of a Rich Rodriguez team has a flashy offense and an awful defense. I also don't know what his reputation with WVU was in big games. It seems like it had to be mixed, no?

Turn Off Ads?