Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds have pick #27 in 2011 MLB draft

Re: Reds have pick #27 in 2011 MLB draft

Sappelt...I love this kid, but does he have the power we'd want from a LF'er?
    If you've got power at other positions where it's not typically found, like the Reds do, you don't have to get big power from LF. Sappelt is no slap hitter -- plenty of EBHs in that bat.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    If you've got power at other positions where it's not typically found, like the Reds do, you don't have to get big power from LF. Sappelt is no slap hitter -- plenty of EBHs in that bat.
    Fair point. For me, I fully expect to see Mesoraco, Frazier and Sappelt up here with the club this year. Hopefully before the ASB even.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The Reds' system is thinning when it comes to pitching? That may be true at Louisville, but it seems very strong to me at all the other levels moving forward. I'm not freaking out as much about third base as a lot of other people because I have faith in Frazier (and Junior Arias is a solid prospect), but my biggest concern is left field. If Frazier becomes the everyday third baseman, who takes over in left field? I like Heisey and all, but I think the Reds would be taken to a new level with someone of Holliday's caliber.
    The use of the word "thinning" jumped out at me too. I was just going to post that when I saw your comment. I'm guessing that the writer is assuming since we've "graduated" so many pitchers to the ML level that we've left the cupboard bare. Do others agree? I think it's more like camisadelgolf suggests. Also, what did you think of the pick he suggested?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Lotzkar is an "it" guy if he can stay healthy. Guillon and Correa also might be, assuming they continue to pitch as well as they did last season as they continue up the ladder.

All three have questions, obviously, but how many pitching prospects don't? Add to that the youth in the Cincinnati rotation (and Chapman and Leake in the pen) and the truth of the matter is that, while they might not have a bone fide "ace" in the pipeline, they have at least five options as TOR arms available right now at the major league level.

Can another team say that?
    But see this is where teams rise and fall. The Reds have a nice group of young guys including the names you pointed out. But, those guys all have a knock on them, like all prospects. I don't see a Shelby Miller in the pipeline, a Homer Bailey circa 2006 if you will. Those guys not only provide for a base for future rotations, they also have tremendous trade value. I don't see teams lining up for Lotzkar, Corcino, or Carrera yet.

It isn't meant as dig on any of those players, just a statement that there don't seem to be many "it" guys on the mound, in the system.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    The use of the word "thinning" jumped out at me too. I was just going to post that when I saw your comment. I'm guessing that the writer is assuming since we've "graduated" so many pitchers to the ML level that we've left the cupboard bare. Do others agree? I think it's more like camisadelgolf suggests. Also, what did you think of the pick he suggested?
    I'm all about 'best player available', and if that's who the Reds have at the top of their board, I'm totally fine with that. Besides, I really do believe you can never have enough pitching. But if you spend a first round draft pick on a starter, who gets moved to the bullpen?

Code:
    AGE	MLB			AGE	AAA			AGE	AA			AGE	A+			AGE	A	
    35.10	Bronson Arroyo		24.73	Matt Fairel		22.39	J.C. Sulbaran		22.44	Kyle Lotzkar		20.54	Wes Mugarian
    26.12	Johnny Cueto		27.52	Scott Carroll		26.55	Mark Serrano		24.65	Josh Smith		21.59	Mitch Clarke
    28.75	Edinson Volquez		27.48	Matt Klinker		24.19	Josh Ravin		23.10	Tanner Robles		21.55	Jake Johnson
    25.91	Homer Bailey		27.39	Dallas Buck		25.56	Clay Shunick		22.74	Dan Renken		21.55	Jonathan Correa
    25.15	Travis Wood		24.39	Mike Leake		24.31	PedroVillarreal		21.60	Dan Corcino		20.13	Ismael Guillon

27.91	Sam LeCure		26.00	JordanHotchkiss		25.48	Lance Janke		21.61	Dan Tuttle		23.60	Stalin Gerson
    Like I said, I don't think you can ever have enough pitching, so I'm not saying it can't/shouldn't be done, but I just see much bigger needs right now. Who's going to play the corner positions in Bakersfield and Dayton? Juan Duran will take a spot, and Junior Arias & David Vidal can probably handle third, but other than that, who are the legit prospects? Donald Lutz? Jaren Matthews? Theo Bowe? Robert Maddox? Dominic D'Anna? I'm not really excited about any of those guys. Kyle Waldrop might break out, but I think most people see him as more of a center fielder right now.

Appears that Meyer is moving up the board and probably won't be available for the Reds' pick anyway.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...ticle_18979262

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Appears that Meyer is moving up the board and probably won't be available for the Reds' pick anyway.

Big surprise. Clearly I was weeks/months ahead of the paid scouts. I could work for project prospect, but I am a little bit more efficient than somebody who projects off of 1 batting practice session.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

On the Shelf

The biggest injury news of the Draft season has come from Matt Purke, the immensely talented Draft-eligible sophomore from Texas Christian University. Purke, who was a first-round pick of the Rangers two years ago but didn't sign, was thought to be perhaps the top college lefty in the class before the season began.

I think Matt Purke might be a great pick at #27 if he fell to the Reds spot. The Reds could then try to steal a great talent at that spot. It would be worth rehabbing Purke for the rest of the season if needed. If Purke doesn't sign then the Reds would have pick 28 next year. Does anyone else think that Purke would be worth the risk at pick 27.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    I think Matt Purke might be a great pick at #27 if he fell to the Reds spot. The Reds could then try to steal a great talent at that spot. It would be worth rehabbing Purke for the rest of the season if needed. If Purke doesn't sign then the Reds would have pick 28 next year. Does anyone else think that Purke would be worth the risk at pick 27.
    All depends on his health status, but potentially yes.

He is very similar to Anthony Ranaudo from last year in terms of a top-of-the-draft talented college pitcher falling for health reasons.

I do worry that the Reds might be presented with a problem scenario where he will holdout for top-of-the-draft money if he is healthy or he will sign if he is not. He did not sign despite being a first round pick coming out of HS, so he clearly has the fortitude (or stubbornes depending on how you look at it) to holdout/not sign.
    Go BLUE!!!

I wouldn't draft Purke. Unless the injury is a "simple" TJ fix (like Kyle Gibson last year), stay away. Purke's mechanics are pretty flaky, too. Kind of a violent 3/4s delivery.

Baseball America has their latest mock draft up, with both free and pay versions. The free version shows the Reds taking John Stilson, Texas A&M RHP.

http://ht.ly/4UbaS

The more I read about Jason Esposito, the more I think him. I'm a little concerned at how poorly he played in the Cape league though.

My preferences three weeks before the draft (excluding guys like Rendon, Cole, Starling, Springer, Lindor, Hultzen and Bundy who are virtual locks to be gone by the time the Reds pick):

1. Josh Bell OF - switch-hitting OF is arguably the best hitter in the draft. Only downside is defense.
    2. Either of the Bradley pitchers (Archie or Jed) P - Archie may fall due to signability and may be too expensive, either one easily becomes Reds best pitching prospect.
    3. Daniel Norris LHP - Best HS LHP in the draft
    4. Levi Michael SS/3B - Could help the big club the fastest given the hole at 3B after Rolen retires
    5. Javier Baez SS/3B - Ditto except a couple years behind Michael given he's a HS player. By the time he's big-league ready, Reds could have other problems.

I'd also be content with any of the following pitchers: Matt Barnes, Alex Meyer, Trevor Bauer, Taylor Jungmann, Taylor Guerrerri, and Sonny Gray
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-17-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'll say it again: I love Trevor Bauer. He looked awesome when I saw him paired with the Reds in a different mock draft, pity he's unlikely to fall to us anymore.

If we do get a pitcher, please let it be one with good mechanics and a high upside. We don't need another Kyle Lotzkar or Mike Leake; we need someone with the potential to lead this rotation and not be a Tommy John risk after every outing.

Turn Off Ads?