Turn Off Ads?

Thread: New Baseball Episode of "The Simpsons"

New Baseball Episode of "The Simpsons"

It aired yesterday, and it was the best episode of The Simpsons in years. Lisa becomes the manager of Bart's little league team, and learns Sabermetrics from the local nerds. The episode includes lots of "stats geek" jokes, a cameo by Bill James, and, in a callback to the original baseball episode, an appearance by Mike Scioscia. My years of dedication to the show have finally paid off.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/184048/the-simpsons-moneybart
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 10-11-2010 at 11:34 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?
    So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: New Baseball Episode of "The Simpsons"

Twenty-two seasons...wow.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Awesome!

Loved it. They took some playful jabs at sabermetrics but also kind of made fun of the SABR vs. Traditionalist debate.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

My wife poked me in the ribs at least 20 times during the episode.

Best. Simpsons. In. Years.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Awesome episode! Limbaugh and Bill James in back to back episodes--sweet!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

"That's a problem for Future Homer."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    "That's a problem for Future Homer."
    "Last time I stepped on a baseball field, I got tased."
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Bill James "I made baseball as exciting as doing your taxes. "

I enjoyed the episode, but it's getting overshadowed by the couch sequence right now haha...

I loved the couch gag. It set a level of awesomeness that the episode somehow managed to sustain.

Subtle little dig at Lenny Dykstra too, which I'm sure most of the normal Simpsons viewers didn't even get.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Subtle little dig at Lenny Dykstra too, which I'm sure most of the normal Simpsons viewers didn't even get.
    That's part of what made it so great. They wrote smart, inside jokes without caring that most of their normal audience wouldn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Agreed with you and Footstool. The entire time I was thinking, "boy, this is a great episode for hardcore baseball fans, but it might bite the bullet with regular Simpsons' fans."

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Agreed with you and Footstool. The entire time I was thinking, "boy, this is a great episode for hardcore baseball fans, but it might bite the bullet with regular Simpsons' fans."
    Regular Simpsons fans long for the return of smart jokes and a clever narrative. I think this episode provided both.

Turn Off Ads?