Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What should the Reds do in Left Field next season?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jonny Gomes in a similar role

1 0.96%
  • Chris Heisey

9 8.65%
  • Strict Platoon using existing players within organization

3 2.88%
  • Acquire Legitimate high OBP leadoff hitter

28 26.92%
  • Acquire Legitimate Cleanup hitter

63 60.58%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want? Left Field

Re: What do you want? Left Field

This was a tough one for me. Obviously, I wouldn't mind the Reds acquiring a true cleanup or leadoff hitter to play LF. But I decided to wish instead that they sign/trade for a young SS with the same money/trade chips they would have used to get said LF. That leaves the internal option I'm not sure why everyone has suddenly soured on: Chris Heisey.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I voted cleanup guy. I think maybe Stubbs/Phillips at the top of the order could work. I certainly seemed to towards the end of the season.

But basically, a GOOD hitter would be fine.

Kemp, Willingham, Cody Ross, Markakis have all been mentioned. I think they're good options. Some cheaper than others.
    Ross isn't a much better hitter than Gomes, but he hits LH really well (.924 OPS lifetime).
    I doubt he wishes to be part of a platoon, though.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Here's a question...Are Juan Francisco or Yonder Alonso any sort of consideration to move to the position? What about Chris Heisey? If so, do you think the Reds would do that next year or sign/keep other OF's to platoon them?

Obviously both Francisco and Alonso offer the promise of power and Heisey a pretty good glove...I don't know the book on Heisey as a potential clean up hitter though.

I can see Gomes or Nix coming back next year in bench roles but a platoon where they cover the spot on the field?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I would like to see them upgrade either LF or SS and then figure out the other spot. A Gomes / someone else platoon might be the easier move to make. Plus, if you bring Jonny back as the short side of the platoon he gives you so much flexibility as a late inning defensive replacement for Stubbs or Bruce.

George Foster

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    George Foster
    I'd be all in favor of THAT option. But I'd think his walker might hamper his defensive mobility.

In regards to Kemp...I've heard that he's a disruptive force in the clubhouse. That's not something we want to throw into the mix there in Cincy. If that's incorrect or we've got someone who can handle him...possibly.

And Jason Bay...I want someone who can handle the position defensively first and foremost. And then go for the best bat out of THAT group. Don't look bat first. And yes, this means Dunn is out of the equation. As is Manny.

A true Leadoff hitter... Needed that all year. Votto needs a high OBP guy in front of him...
    I think, with the right instruction next spring, this can be Drew Stubbs in CF, which is why I said clean-up hitter.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'd be all in favor of THAT option. But I'd think his walker might hamper his defensive mobility.

In regards to Kemp...I've heard that he's a disruptive force in the clubhouse. That's not something we want to throw into the mix there in Cincy. If that's incorrect or we've got someone who can handle him...possibly.

And Jason Bay...I want someone who can handle the position defensively first and foremost. And then go for the best bat out of THAT group. Don't look bat first. And yes, this means Dunn is out of the equation. As is Manny.
    One thing that I think is important to note is that Kemp may have been a disruptive force in the Dodgers' clubhouse, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'd be one in the Reds clubhouse.

1) Sometimes it helps if a player gets traded, and gets a wakeup call.
    2) The Reds clubhouse is pretty stable whereas the Dodgers are a zoo. Players react to their surroundings as much as anything.

That being said, I tell Juan Francisco and Yonder Alonso to wear an outfielder's glove all winter long in case they might catch something.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I voted #4, OBP. It's cheaper than power, just as good from a run scoring perspective and would bring more balance to the lineup.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

We need a big bopper to take pressure off of Rolen. If this year showed anything you can piece meal the rest of it if you've got a legitimate heart of the order. Rolen is getting older and is going to need more days off, the playoffs showed just how much him not at 100% hurt the offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Give me option #4 or 5. Either one. I mentioned Matt Kemp and Grady Sizemore in another thread. I've seen Jacoby Ellsbury's name thrown out there by someone on here a while back. If he can be had cheaply I wouldn't be opposed to that. David DeJesus is another interesting option. He's got a career .360 OBP and plays good defense. The latter two could more than likely be acquired without giving up one of our top young arms.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Here's a question...Are Juan Francisco or Yonder Alonso any sort of consideration to move to the position? What about Chris Heisey? If so, do you think the Reds would do that next year or sign/keep other OF's to platoon them?
    I fully expect Francisco to get 60 games at 3rd base next year.

The reds with a healthy Scott Rolen are a different ball club. Since they already extended him, spelling him 1 game out of every 4 or more in order to protect his back seems the only sensible thing to do.

It eases Francisco into the lineup and helps keep Rolen healthy. If Francisco sees another 30-40 games in left.....well, that might not be such a bad thing either.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

OBP.

This will keep Stubbs out of the leadoff spot, which I think is very important for his future development.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    OBP.

This will keep Stubbs out of the leadoff spot, which I think is very important for his future development.
    Saying you want OBP really isn't mutually exclusive. I want a guy who can hit leadoff, OBP around .360, and play solid defense. And oh yea his name is Carl Crawford and he will cost you about $15-$20M/year.

To be honest I just want someone who improves the overall ball club and isn't a butcher out there in LF. I would sacrifice a little defense if I could get an impact type bat.

Some players mentioned above would interest me but would be far from sold. Ellsbury is coming off an injury riddled season and really doesn't have any long term success to rely on. Sizemore would be a great target if you could get him healthy for an extended period of time. Luke Soctt, pass.

In order for the Reds to improve next season they need to get away from 4th OF or platoon times and get a legit starter. They will have the likes of Gomes/Heisey/Nix/Edmonds(?) to choose from to fill the 4th and 5th OF spot.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Saying you want OBP really isn't mutually exclusive. I want a guy who can hit leadoff, OBP around .360, and play solid defense. And oh yea his name is Carl Crawford and he will cost you about $15-$20M/year.
    You also just described David DeJesus who makes $6 million this year. Granted he's coming off surgery, but he's supposed to be healthy going into the season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?