Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What should the Reds do in Left Field next season?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jonny Gomes in a similar role

1 0.96%
  • Chris Heisey

9 8.65%
  • Strict Platoon using existing players within organization

3 2.88%
  • Acquire Legitimate high OBP leadoff hitter

28 26.92%
  • Acquire Legitimate Cleanup hitter

63 60.58%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want? Left Field

Re: What do you want? Left Field

I'm sorry, but if The Rays really started James Shields in Game 2 just to protect his trade value, then I would lose a lot of respect for them as an organization.

Their goal should be to advance in the postseason, not leverage a trade piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I'm sorry, but if The Rays really started James Shields in Game 2 just to protect his trade value, then I would lose a lot of respect for them as an organization.

Their goal should be to advance in the postseason, not leverage a trade piece.
    It was Buster Olney speculating. I think there is about a 1% chance that that was the main reason why Shields started.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    It was Buster Olney speculating. I think there is about a 1% chance that that was the main reason why Shields started.
    It was speculation, but do you see a more likely possible reason as to why he started in front of Garza?

I certainly hope that's the case. I like The Rays quite a bit, I would hope they'd be above that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    It was speculation, but do you see a more likely possible reason as to why he started in front of Garza?
    For one, weren't his numbers much better at home?

For one, weren't his numbers much better at home?
    Looks like it. But so were Garza's.

As an aside, he also was talking about guys attitudes today and what their priorities are and he told a funny story that an agent told him about the guy's client, a big name young player in the league today.

The agent's phone starts ringing at like 5 in the morning and he sees on the caller ID that it is his client. So he basically freaks because he thinks someone got arrested, or died, or something just bad happened. So he answers the phone and it is the player. The agent is like "What's wrong?" And this kid goes on and on telling him that Nike gave his teammate more and better gear and how he deserves better stuff than that guy.

Again, so much that goes on that we have no idea that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I think Votto and Bruce together in the lineup vs. righties is genius. They've both proven the ability to hit lefties, thus elimnating the lefty/lefty fear.
    Even with Votto and Bruce in the three and four holes, I think you need a third masher back to back. I think, because of his health/durability concerns, I would feel much better if he was counted on as the 4th option in the meat of the order.

Even if they get another bat, I wouldn't mind having him around as a right-handed bat off the bench at that price. I'be felt all along that that would be the role he would flourish in (not so sure how he would feel after starting for two years though). If Gomes is brought back with LF in mind, I'd hope they went after a lefty like Luke Scott to split time.

I love Jonny, but I just think that expecting solid year-long production from him in the heart of the order with Rolen's precarious situation would seem like a great way to insure there is no repeat in 2K11. I think they have to be agreesive and addrees it and I thnk they will.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Looks like it. But so were Garza's.
    Yeah, but Shields is the HR fairy, no way you start him in Texas instead of Tampa, if you've already decided they're both starting games in that series. You could make a good case they should have left Shields out of their rotation, but I don't think there's any way Maddon does that.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

68 people have voted on this thread and not one, wants Gomes back in the same role.

Somehow I think the results at the GABP offices would be different.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    68 people have voted on this thread and not one, wants Gomes back in the same role.

Somehow I think the results at the GABP offices would be different.
    If they lived in the hypothetical like we do, they might be the same. I think the difference between us and them a lot of times is that we expect them to be able to grab a "high obp, plus defense" LFer off the shelf and be able to pay in Maloneys and Franciscos. That isn't reality and these moves aren't done in a vacuum.

If they feel comfortable in keeping Gomes because it allows them to do other things, then we should look at the offseason as a whole and not on a move by move basis. Because all of these moves are linked due to money and personnel concerns. Returning with Gomes does not make an offseason a failure.

Gomes has value at $1.8M next season. That is why his option is being picked up. It isn't because they are going to hand him the starting job out in LF. Heck if Cabrera's option were for $1.8M I would assume they would pick it up as well. Its all about building a team based around the best 25 men you can. IMO if Gomes is your 25th player you have a pretty solid ball club.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Gomes hit lefties well again this year. Part of the problem of the position's performance was Nix's injuries and the fact that the NL central doesn't have a lot of lefty starters.

If we can't get the LFer we want, how about a nice other half of a real platoon to go with Gomes?. I could live with Gomes getting 300 PA, if 200 are against lefties.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I would love to have Gomes back in a spot start/bench role next year. Problem is, you can't put flawed players like Gomes on a roster and expect Dusty to use him properly.

The Tigers released the injured 36 year old Magglio Ordonez, whose 2010 line in just 323 AB was .303/.378/.474, including 12 HR (1 for about each 27 AB).

Is he too injured, too old, too much like Gomes in the field?

Turn Off Ads?