Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bad contract for bad contract.

Bad contract for bad contract.

Can't the Reds find a team with a bad contract, let's say someone overpaying for a LF or SS but who needs a closer, and trade Coco for him? The Reds have a number of pitchers who can do the job better, and they might fill a need short term at those other positions. These bad contract trades happen more and more these days...

Thoughts on possible candidates?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Bad contract for bad contract.

Cordero is actually an OK pitcher.

Taking on bad LF or a bad SS on a bad contract doesn't make sense.

If a SS is pretty good, a $10M contract wouldn't be considered bad.

The only 1 year left bad contract for a SS or OFer I can think of is Beltran. The others all have contracts too bad to match up.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    The only 1 year left bad contract for a SS or OFer I can think of is Beltran. The others all have contracts too bad to match up.
    How much does he make? I'd trade Coco for Beltran if the salaries/Mets made it a wash. The Mets might too, with a new regime in place and K-Rod possibly headed to jail.

I'd rather go after Matt Kemp though, even if it meant keeping Coco around for his final season.

How about Coco, Valaika and Bailey or Leake for Jose Reyes (assuming Mets pickup his option)? Keep Cozart/Janish around as insurance in case one/both of Reyes and BP leave after 2011. Then trade Alonso and Heisey for Kemp, and bring back Gomes as the 4th OF.
    Last edited by Benihana; 10-12-2010 at 12:57 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    How much does he make? I'd trade Coco for Beltran if the salaries/Mets made it a wash. The Mets might too, with a new regime in place and K-Rod possibly headed to jail.

I'd rather go after Matt Kemp though, even if it meant keeping Coco around for his final season.

How about Coco, Cozart, and Bailey or Leake for Jose Reyes (assuming Mets pickup his option)?
    They owe Beltran $18.5M in '11, but I guess there might be ways to work around that, if the Mets were interested. I would think the Mets could probably trade Reyes for something of pretty good value without having to take a contract back.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

If the Mets are going to completely dismantle anyone with less than a multi-year deal then I would gladly kick the tires on Beltran/Cordero deal throw a couple mil in maybe for a middling spect that we dont have plans for. Beltran if healthy could be a perfect candidate for a Scott Rolen-esque rebound with the bat. Stick him in LF and problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

It seems as though the Pads are at least on the fence about bringing back Ryan Ludwick, while leaning towards keeping him at the moment. So, maybe they would be open to a deal for him in return for some younger players? I don't know if I would do Alonzo for Ludwick straight up, but they could have some interest in Alonzo if they move Gonzalez this winter. I REALLY like that kid Ryan Webb, even if he can't quite harness his stuff just yet. Maybe Alonzo for Ludwick and Webb, if the Reds can negotiate a new deal with Ludwick within 72 hours of agreeing on the deal? Something like that?

I think the Cardinals made a huge mistake dealing Ludwick mid-season, and would enjoy the added benefit of kind of capitolizing on it to improve our club next year. Not that he's the re-incarnation of Dale Murphy, but I see some Kevin McReynolds attributes in that guy as a hitter and think he would be a very nice, reasonable addition hitting behind Votto next year.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    They owe Beltran $18.5M in '11, but I guess there might be ways to work around that, if the Mets were interested. I would think the Mets could probably trade Reyes for something of pretty good value without having to take a contract back.
    The Mets would also have to figure out what's going on w/KRod first. Technically, he's still theirs, and his contract (if they're not able to void it due to his legal problems) is huge:

$11.5 million next year and a $17.5M option ($3.5M buyout) kicks in for 2012 if:

- He finishes 55 games in 2011, and
    - 100 games finished in 2010-11, and
    - Doctors declare him Rodriguez healthy after 2011

He finished roughly 50 games in 2010 and missed about a month or so. So if he closes next year and stays reasonably healthy, that option is going to kick in for 2012.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?