Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aroldis Chapman and Yonder Alonso make BA's International League Top 20

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Aroldis Chapman and Yonder Alonso make BA's International League Top 20

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...0/2610779.html

Aroldis Chapman came in at #3, while Yonder Alonso came in at #12. Here is the league's Top 5:
    1. Carlos Santana, c, Columbus Clippers (Indians)
    2. Jeremy Hellickson, rhp, Durham Bulls (Rays)
    3. Aroldis Chapman, lhp, Louisville Bats (Reds)
    4. Jesus Montero, c, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
    5. Freddie Freeman, 1b, Gwinnett Braves

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aroldis Chapman and Yonder Alonso make BA's International League Top 20

Some questions from the chat:

Kyle (Oxford): How did Travis Wood miss the list? You had to be impressed with the numbers he posted in Louisville and the job he did down the stretch for Cincinnati. Do you think he settles in as a number 3 starter?

John Wagner: Miss the list? Too many guys in front of him. He's 21-29 this year and on the list most other years. I was impressed, but I'd like to see him repeat it. And we haven't seen MLB hitters adjust to him; when they do, I believe they'll have success, and he'll need to adjust. Watch that adjustment, and you'll see if he belongs. Personally, I'd say he's a STRONG #4-#5 starter.

GC (Newport, KY): Thoughts on Zack Cozart?

John Wagner: Sorry this is in the lightning round ... Both he and Valaika are intriguing. Cozart gets the nod because he is the shortstop. Cozart's hitting was a bit of a surprise, and if he can keep that going he'll be in MLB. Most years, Cozart would have been in the IL's Top 20. This year, 21-29 ...

Donnie (Cincinnati): Juan Francisco as a 3B?

John Wagner: Love the bat. I'd say yes, because he was pretty bad in the OF.

Todd Frazier (Louisville, KY): John, what did people tell you about my season this year?

John Wagner: Your brother Jeff said ... aw, shucks. I can't do it. You probably get enough of that grief at the dinner table. People told me that you struggled the first two months of the season (.194 on June 5) and spent the rest of the year catching up. You've got power, and you (and your brother) are terrific grinders, especially at the plate. They also said they want you to find a defensive position where you're comfortable and really show improvement

No Travis Wood? Wow. Not only should Wood be on the list, he should be in the top 10, IMO. Give me Wood over Ivan Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    GC (Newport, KY):
    Donnie (Cincinnati): Juan Francisco as a 3B?

John Wagner: Love the bat. I'd say yes, because he was pretty bad in the OF.
    I think this says it all about this guy John Wagner. He should play 3B because he was pretty bad in the OF? Isn't he pretty bad at 3B, which is a much more important defensive position than LF?!?!
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    No Travis Wood? Wow. Not only should Wood be on the list, he should be in the top 10, IMO. Give me Wood over Ivan Nova.
    Um, yes.

This guy Wagner is a chump.
    Go BLUE!!!

Brad Lincoln at 15 is pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think this says it all about this guy John Wagner. He should play 3B because he was pretty bad in the OF? Isn't he pretty bad at 3B, which is a much more important defensive position than LF?!?!
    Did you watch him play third with the Reds? Seemed ok to me. Lacks great range. Catches the ball, has a strong and accurate arm.

102.2 IP, 85 H, 9 HR, 26 BB, 86 K, 3.51 ERA, 2.3 BB/9, 7.5 K/9. Left-handed, 23 years old, throws in the low 90's, with a nasty cutter and changeup. Oh, and those stats are at the major league level. How in the world could they leave Travis Wood out of the top 10, let alone completely off the list?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    102.2 IP, 85 H, 9 HR, 26 BB, 86 K, 3.51 ERA, 2.3 BB/9, 7.5 K/9. Left-handed, 23 years old, throws in the low 90's, with a nasty cutter and changeup. Oh, and those stats are at the major league level. How in the world could they leave Travis Wood out of the top 10, let alone completely off the list?
    Because the International League managers didn't watch him in the majors, so his stats there are meaningless toward the opinions of those asked about on this list?

While I agree that he should be on the list based on his work done in the International League, using what he did in the majors isn't going to do much for this type of list.

Wood should have been top ten, maybe top fifteen.

Wagner has little idea, it seems, of Louisville's talent level.

Based on what Wood did in the International League, I'd take him over Britton and Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Did you watch him play third with the Reds? Seemed ok to me. Lacks great range. Catches the ball, has a strong and accurate arm.
    Except for the time he almost killed someone in the stands at Wrigley Field. Of course that might have been intentional.

Overall he only had 12 balls hit to him, and 8 assists with 1 error. Not a lot of play to figure out his defense with the Reds. Fielding percentage just over 91%. Not sure how you got your assessment from his play in the majors. Although 91% is right at his minor league percentage (which includes time in LF and first base, much easier positions). Not good. In comparison, Rolen was almost at 98%. While Rolen is good, he was not gold glove level.

Fielding percentage does not equate to a great fielder, but it certainly can point out bad ones. Hate to say it, but Francisco is not very good in the field at 3rd.

Francisco has an intriguing bat, but I just don't think he has the glove to stick in the NL. I saw him in Louisville, I saw him in Cincy and I just don't know that he's a big league fielder. He might become adequate at 1st, but only in the Adam Dunn sense. He has to hope he can improve his read in the OF to be more than a bench guy unless he moves to the AL.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

If he loses some paunch, Francisco can be solid enough to play 3B, considering the power in his bat. But if he gets any bigger, his range will be knee to knee at best.

Turn Off Ads?