Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone concerned with 3B?

Re: Anyone concerned with 3B?

Ist Half Rolen ,290/.361/.548/.909 with a BABIP of .289 in 324 PA
    2nd Half Rolen .277/.352/.420/.772 with a BABIP of .322 in 213 PA.

2nd Half Rolen got a lot of rest (111 fewer PAs than 1at half) and is still a good player, given his defense, even if that production drops a little more as the BABIP falls to normal, but a middle of the line-up presence he isn't. 2nd half Rolen looks a lot like the Rolen many expected and the hoped for step forward from Jay Bruce will simply offset that drop that is likely from Rolen in 2011.

I still like Rolen as a guy who can get on base and handle the bat in the 2 hole. Hitting in front of Votto would help and having some one else behind Votto would likely help as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

2nd half Rolen had back and shoulder injuries. Get the guy healthy, and be prepared to DL him in July/ August if his aging body needs it.

I've never had the privelege of seeing consistent, ridiculous defense like Scotty. That alone is worth the 2 remaining years of his contract.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

If you find another meat of the order bat to go between Votto and Bruce and have the luxury of batting Rolen 6th, then you can rest him or DL not have to force that much pressure on his replacement (Francisco, Frazier or whoever).

I think Rolen still is an asset for thisteam if his health is shepherded wisely. I believe you must have an adequzte stand-i who is capable defensively and has some punch in his bat.

I'm more concerned about the position long term. I don't see an adequate replacement in the entire system (with the possible shift of Arias). That includes Francisco (not enough glove) and Frazier (not enough bat). I'd really like to see them spend a high pick or two on the position in the next couple of drafts and in non-1b power potential in general.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    2nd half Rolen had back and shoulder injuries. Get the guy healthy, and be prepared to DL him in July/ August if his aging body needs it.

I've never had the privelege of seeing consistent, ridiculous defense like Scotty. That alone is worth the 2 remaining years of his contract.
    Rolen's shoulder injury is never going to heal. It was operated on in 2005 and again in 2007 and it's what hampered him in 2007, 2008 and 2009. He even stated in the first half that his shoulder was feeling better than it had in a while, but evidently it's back to being a problem. Not sure if an off-season of rest will get him back to his first half self, but judging by his previous years, I'm guessing not. The 2nd half guy is what has become the norm since 2007 and I'm skeptical of a repeat of first half Rolen, and in any case it should be viewed as a bonus if 1st half Rolen makes a return. The Reds should be looking toward 2011 as though Rolen is not a middle of the order presence and the team needs to be looking elsewhere.

Rolen is still an asset at 3B even if second half Rolen is all we get. He still provides fantastic defense, unquestioned leadership and gets on base. It simply is a matter of the Reds realizing that an upgrade in LF may be required to help take up the slack in the power department.
    Last edited by mth123; 10-15-2010 at 05:10 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Rolen's shoulder injury is never going to heal. It was operated on in 2005 and again in 2007 and it's what hampered him in 2007, 2008 and 2009. He even stated in the first half that his shoulder was feeling better than it had in a while, but evidently it's back to being a problem. Not sure if an off-seaoson of rest will get him back to his first half self, but judging by his previous years, I'm guessing not. The 2nd half guy is what has become the norm since 2007 and I'm skeptical of a repeat of first half Rolen, and in any case it should be viewed as a bonus if 1st half Rolen makes a return. The Reds should be looking toward 2011 as though Rolen is not a middle of the order presence and the team needs to be looking elsewhere.

Rolen is still an asset at 3B even if second half Rolen is all we get. He still provides fantastic defense, unquestioned leadership and gets on base. It simply is a matter of the Reds realizing that an upgrade in LF may be required to help take up the slack in the power department.
    This is pretty much my opinion in a nutshell.

Turn Off Ads?