Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade idea

Trade idea

What about trading for Shin Soo Choo?

Dont know what it would take, but if we could get him for let say Alsono and Francisco or somethign Id be all for it.

1. Stubbs
    2. Phillips
    3. Votto
    4. Choo
    5. bruce
    6. Rolen
    7. Hanny/ramony/Mes
    8. Janish (unless we get another SS)

Then hopefully Todd Frasier will be ready and we can make him Rolens backup and he'll get plenty of PT there. Him and Heisey can also be the backup outfielders. Maybe Nix too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade idea

As a South Korean citizen, Shin Soo Choo is obligated to serve two years in the military and he has yet fulfilled this requirement. I bet he requires in the $4-6 million range to sign compliments of Scott Boras and Being a small market club, the Reds can't take a chance on Shin Soo Choo given his military obligations.

Quote Originally Posted by OpeningDay View Post
    As a South Korean citizen, Shin Soo Choo is obligated to serve two years in the military and he has yet fulfilled this requirement. I bet he requires in the $4-6 million range to sign compliments of Scott Boras and Being a small market club, the Reds can't take a chance on Shin Soo Choo given his military obligations.
    He's only obligated if he wants to remain a South Korean citizen. He also has an out by playing for South Korea in the Asian Games in November. If South Korea wins he would be waived of his obligation.

Well we would obviously figure all that out before the trade. But if he can get out of it Id be all for it.

And someone mentioned he could be a leadoff hitter, so if you dont want stubbs leading off you could lead off choo, move rolen or bruce to cleanup and drop Stubbs down to 6 or something.

Could be a stacked OF with Stubbs, Bruce, and Choo, not to mention Votto over at first.
    Could be a very potent and stable lineup.

And I believe he is a pretty good fielder as well but not positive on that.

I'd love to have him (assuming you could work out the military service thing), but I don't see Cleveland trading him until he gets too expensive for them to keep. That team doesn't have a lot to draw fans right now, and he's kind of the bright spot.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by OpeningDay View Post

I heard them talking about this a few weeks back on an Indian's game. I'll pass on him.

Will be tough to get him from Cleveland as he is basically the only good player they have left.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Will be tough to get him from Cleveland as he is basically the only good player they have left.
    Im not sure who the indians have at 1st and 3rd, but this trade would essentially give them two middle of the order bats in Alonso and Francisco.

You cant have a lineup all based off one player, this would give them two big spots that you could probably plug in right now somewhere in the 3-6 range in the order.

I wouldnt be so quick to think the indians wouldnt do it.

I would not mind getting Grady Sizmore if it would be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    I would not mind getting Grady Sizmore if it would be possible.
    What's his contract staus? Does he have anything left in the tank? If so, not a bad idea for a LF and leadoff man.

Trade Volquez + Francisco for Matt Kemp
    Trade Alonso for Jason Bartlett

1. CF Drew Stubbs
    2. SS Jason Bartett
    3. 1B Joey Votto
    4. LF Matt Kemp
    5. 3B Scott Rolen
    6. RF Jay Bruce
    7. 2B Brandon Phillips
    8. C Hanigan/Hernandez
    9. Pitcher

Hi guys, I like this topic and it wouldn't be the first time we stole someone from the Indians huh Brandon Phillips. Here is the contract information on both Choo and Sizemore courtasy of cotsbaseballcontracts.com

Grady Sizemore of
    6 years/$23.45M (2006-11), plus 2012 club option
    6 years/$23.45M (2006-11), plus 2012 club option
    signed extension with Cleveland 3/06, replacing 1 year deal for 2006 signed 3/06
    $1M signing bonus
    06:$0.5M, 07:$0.75M, 08:$3M, 09:$4.6M, 10:$5.6M, 11:$7.5M, 12:$8.5M club option ($0.5M buyout)
    2012 option may escalate to $10.5M if Sizemore wins Gold Glove or Silver Slugger, makes All Star team or ranks high in MVP vote (2008 All Star selection increased price of 2012 option to $9M)
    award bonuses: $75,000 for All Star selection, $0.1M each for Gold Glove, Silver Slugger
    if Sizemore is traded:
    he receives $0.5M assignment bonus and his salaries for remaining seasons increase by 10%
    2012 option becomes a player option (buyout forfeited if Sizemore declines the option)
    largest deal ever for play with less than 2 years of ML service
    1 year/$0.3183M (2005)
    re-signed by Cleveland 2/05
    split contract paying $85,200 in minors
    drafted 2000 (3-75), $2M signing bonus
    agent: Joe Urbon
    ML service: 5.056

Shin-Soo Choo of
    1 year/$0.4611M (2010)
    1 year/$0.4611M (2010)
    re-signed by Cleveland 3/10/10
    1 year/$0.4203M (2009)
    re-signed by Cleveland 2/22/09 ($234,300 in minors)
    1 year/$0.3904M (2008)
    re-signed 3/7/08
    1 year/$0.3831M (2007)
    re-signed 2/07 (split contract paying $109,600 in minors)
    1 year (2006)
    re-signed 3/06
    acquired by Cleveland in trade from Seattle 7/06, with Indians paying Mariners undisclosed amount of cash
    signed as a free agent from South Korea in 2000
    $1.3M signing bonus
    agent: Scott Boras
    ML service: 2.119

and just because we have discussed a third baseman how about this guy. He has played a little over there.

Asdrubal Cabrera 2b-ss
    1 year/$0.4446M (2010)
    1 year/$0.4446M (2010)
    re-signed by Cleveland 3/10/10
    1 year/$0.4167M (2009)
    re-signed by Cleveland 3/9/09 ($194,500 in minors)
    1 year/$0.3933M (2008)
    re-signed 2/28/08 (split contract, $68,000 in minors)
    1 year (2007)
    contract purchased 8/7/07
    acquired by Cleveland in trade from Seattle 7/06
    signed 2002 as amateur free agent from Venezuela
    agent: Alan Nero
    ML service: 2.027

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Good job stealing my trade idea from the other thread.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86391

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

We don't need a SS, unless it's Hanley Ramirez. Janish will be fine. Stick him in the 8-hole in the lineup and leave him alone.

We shouldn't trade Francisco. Rolen could retire at any moment, or be chronically injured permanently. We have no one else in the minors that can replace him except Francisco.

If acquired by Cincinnati, perhaps Shin Soo Choo could fulfill his military requirement for by serving in the "Red" army. Ha!

Turn Off Ads?