Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else think we may need 3B help in 2011?

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Anyone else think we may need 3B help in 2011?

Rolen looks to be 55, not 35.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone else think we may need 3B help in 2011?

Well he got a lot of days off this year, but it was obvious he wore down bad. So yeah, I'm pretty sure we will need help there.

And Francisco is not the answer
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

could alonso possibly pick up 3rd? IDK defensivly they seem kinda similar except for the long throw to 1B? maybe give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    could alonso possibly pick up 3rd? IDK defensivly they seem kinda similar except for the long throw to 1B? maybe give that a try.
    Didn't he play a little 3B at Miami?

Even if he did, I doubt the Reds would go that route.

I was always surprised that they didn't move Frazier there permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    Doubt it... I dont think he'd be any better than Francisco
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Fransisco has a good bat, but shaky on d right?
    That's a bad bad place to hide a bad defensive player...I'm not real sure what our options are.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Fransisco has a good bat, but shaky on d right?
    That's a bad bad place to hide a bad defensive player...I'm not real sure what our options are.
    He's not really that bad of a defender. He has trouble getting to some balls, but he has a great arm. The main problem I have with him is plate discipline. He's known for not being able to take a walk.

I'm fine with a Rolen/Francisco platoon next year.

Quote Originally Posted by mmt1552 View Post
    I'm fine with a Rolen/Francisco platoon next year.
    I wouldn't mind seeing that, myself.

Rolen looks like he can't bend down out there. Just stiff.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well, we're stuck with Scott for 2 more years. That is kind of bittersweet. When healthy, he's been a huge asset to this team. But when he's not......he's a huge liability.

I've stated all second half of the season that they will have to platoon Francisco with Rolen next season. Francisco gives you a LHed power bat, so it works for the most part. Francisco's defense isn't as bad as people make it out to be. He was voted best defensive third baseman one year in the minor leagues in their league (can't remember what year). So he's not THAT bad.

I'd be fine with that platoon. I just think it puts Cairo as the odd man out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Well, we're stuck with Scott for 2 more years. That is kind of bittersweet. When healthy, he's been a huge asset to this team. But when he's not......he's a huge liability.

I've stated all second half of the season that they will have to platoon Francisco with Rolen next season. Francisco gives you a LHed power bat, so it works for the most part. Francisco's defense isn't as bad as people make it out to be. He was voted best defensive third baseman one year in the minor leagues in their league (can't remember what year). So he's not THAT bad.

I'd be fine with that platoon. I just think it puts Cairo as the odd man out.
    Well, Cairo is a bench guy for the most part.

I really would like to see if JF is up to it. Rolen looks stiff as a board in the field and at the plate. It looks like he can't hit anything low in the zone right now. To be honest, I had no idea. I mean, I knew the power had evaporated, but damn.

Frazier should also be a possibility. I don't know why they've jerked him around playing him everywhere. He always seemed like a future 3B to me.

But, yeah. Let's give Francisco a real shot. Speaking of which, I dunno why he didn't PH tonight.

I honestly think Rolen is close to done. His AB's have looked rather awful, I had a hard time watching him swing tonight and last Wednesday night w/o cringing, and he seems to be losing a lot of mobility. Which is a shame because his veteran leadership is a huge plus, but he's beginning to decline quite quickly.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Scott seems like the type of person/player who would retire abruptly if he thought he didn't have it anymore.

Wouldn't that be a huge change if he did so after the postseason? That would change everything.

I mentioned this somewhere else, but I wonder if Mark Reynolds could be bought low from Arizona as back up and insurance to Scott Rolen.

Turn Off Ads?