Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Confessions of an Agent"

"Confessions of an Agent"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ent/index.html

Surprised this isn't already being talked about.....

That night I sat in my hotel room making a list of pros and cons in my head. Sure, it was breaking NCAA rules, but I would be helping Kanavis out. How would I feel if my mom was sick and I didn't have money to help her? I went through this for hours and finally decided to do it. The next morning I went to the bank, pulled out some of my bar mitzvah money, $2,500 in cash, showed up at Kanavis's door and told him, "Kanavis, I gave this a lot of thought, and I want to help you out. I know how I would feel if it was my mom."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "Confessions of an Agent"

I think like "Juiced" was with steroids, this is a self serving story that tries to paint the agent as sympathetic but will probably lead to much brighter lights being turned on the other major forces in college and "amateur" athletics.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Hoosier nice reference with "Juiced". While many people thought Canseco was self serving and off base he proved to be pretty accurate with everything he had written. I hope this story sheds light on the dirty game behind college sports and cleans it up quite a bit.

This happens and it won't stop, IMO. I knew athletes at UC when I went to school and "runners" are everywhere.

It's almost impossible for a school to stop the actions of an individual.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

More Wichard/Blake/Pro Tect smoke for the UNC folks to have to navigate.

My favorite part of the story was this:

"On Jan. 28, 2008, the day the NFLPA declined the appeal of my suspension, I walked into a commercial real estate office near my home in Encino and signed up for a training program."

Commercial real estate. In California. In 2008.

Karma didn't wait very long to get a hold of Mr. Luchs.

Outing a bunch of former college & pro football players for actions that were at best suspect, and at worst sleazy, doesn't strike me as the kind of thing that a financially secure family man does.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    More Wichard/Blake/Pro Tect smoke for the UNC folks to have to navigate.

My favorite part of the story was this:

"On Jan. 28, 2008, the day the NFLPA declined the appeal of my suspension, I walked into a commercial real estate office near my home in Encino and signed up for a training program."

Commercial real estate. In California. In 2008.

Karma didn't wait very long to get a hold of Mr. Luchs.

Outing a bunch of former college & pro football players for actions that were at best suspect, and at worst sleazy, doesn't strike me as the kind of thing that a financially secure family man does.
    Yep. Right or wrong this guy is an incredible sleaze bag. What a sad, sad person.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think like "Juiced" was with steroids, this is a self serving story that tries to paint the agent as sympathetic but will probably lead to much brighter lights being turned on the other major forces in college and "amateur" athletics.
    I'm sure he's trying to get back at Gary a little bit, which might be, in part, his motivation for sharing. But hopefully this highlights the rampant corruption running amok in the NCAA these days.

I know you and I were chatting about this when talking about Kentucky, and this is the kind of stuff I mean. Agents, boosters, even coaches... this stuff is commonplace. No team is 'clean' and certainly no team is playing with eligible players by standards of "amateurism."
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

So when does he write his book?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

There are usually questionable motives when someone comes forward with stuff like this, but at the very least, this should shed some light on the ridiculous amount of corruption going on in the NCAA.

I particularly liked the part where Mel Kiper denied helping that agent lure clients, but the client confirmed Luchs's account of the story.

If I had to guess, I'd say most of his accounts are correct, no matter how self serving they may be.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Yes, I was being cynical. And I agree, exposure can be a good thing even if there are some self-serving motivations (and I don't know if there are).

But how do you fix the problem short of holding the players and their families under house arrest? The agents aren't breaking any laws and aren't governed by the NCAA Clearinghouse. Now with runners doing the agent's work for them, catching this is like uncovering a drug ring, expect the runners operate at an even more tactical level. The resources required to truly counter these efforts could probably fund another 1000 scholarships.

Perhaps the best way to combat this is to create a viable, alternative path for kids to make money immediately. Create real minor league systems in the NBA and NFL (the D-league doesn't count) and give the kid the choice of entering upon high school or attending school under scholarship for at least three years. It won't prevent college freaks like Steven Strasburg from improper agent interaction, but it should make it less common. Pay the kids who want paid, and teach the kids who want an education.
    Last edited by paintmered; 10-13-2010 at 10:59 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Yes, I was being cynical. And I agree, exposure can be a good thing even if there are some self-serving motivations (and I don't know if there are).
    Oh, I know... My post was more of a general statement.

Perhaps the best way to combat this is to create a viable, alternative path for kids to make money immediately. Create real minor league systems in the NBA and NFL (the D-league doesn't count) and give the kid the choice of entering upon high school or attending school under scholarship for at least three years. It won't prevent college freaks like Steven Strasburg from improper agent interaction, but it should make it less common. Pay the kids who want paid, and teach the kids who want an education.
    That is a great idea. I've never understood why it was "college or nothing" for football players out of high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    But how do you fix the problem short of holding the players and their families under house arrest? The agents aren't breaking any laws and aren't governed by the NCAA Clearinghouse. Now with runners doing the agent's work for them, catching this is like uncovering a drug ring, expect the runners operate at an even more tactical level. The resources required to truly counter these efforts could probably fund another 1000 scholarships.
    Technically what the agents and the athletes are doing aren't illegal. But there are many things that you aren't illegal, but could cause you to lose your job. If the company has a policy where you can't have a relationship with another co worker, you can't have an affair with the secretary. There are laws and then there are policies.

What the NCAA and NFLPA need to go is get together and find a way to punish agents who give money to student athletes. I would even offer a reward to a college athlete to turn in a rogue agent. If an agent, or his runner, or anyone associate with the agent is caught giving money to a student, they automatically lose their certification for a year. If they are caught doing it again they are banned.

I would also offer a cash reward to any student who turns in an agent. If an agent is going to give you a couple of grand that would be pretty hard to turn down as a college kid. But if the NCAA is going to give you a reward for turning in an unscrupulous agent then it may just be worth it.

I really doubt if a minor league NFL system would work. Where would the money come from? Who would want to invest in a a minor league team? What day would it play on? And how many teams would you have?

A minor league team isn't going to play on Sat because of the NFL and NCAA's agreement on playing dates. It could play on a Fri but then you are combating yourself against high school football. So lets say you have a minor league team playing on Wed nights, who is going to attend that game? And how are you going to make money from it?

We have seen "minor league" organizations fail time and time again. There are "minor league" systems in Arena football and the football league that is starting right now. No way would the owners want to financially commit themselves to a minor league system of football. And no business man in his right mind would want to put up the financial backing to own a team.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    A minor league team isn't going to play on Sat because of the NFL and NCAA's agreement on playing dates. It could play on a Fri but then you are combating yourself against high school football. So lets say you have a minor league team playing on Wed nights, who is going to attend that game? And how are you going to make money from it?

We have seen "minor league" organizations fail time and time again. There are "minor league" systems in Arena football and the football league that is starting right now. No way would the owners want to financially commit themselves to a minor league system of football. And no business man in his right mind would want to put up the financial backing to own a team.
    One thing we have to remember about minor league sports is that it's not only minor league in the level of play but also in the level of pay. More often than not, someone who plays in the minor leagues is working another job to support himself (and his family if he has one). You have to pay for food and a place to live and you are barely squeaking by. Compare that situation to a college player. All they have to do is go to class - for free - and practice. Their food and living is paid for. They don't have to work either. They don't have any money of their own but a generous booster or agent may help them out when they need a few extra bucks.

I really don't know what to do about the situation. College players have been getting paid ever since they started playing. Sure, you could give them a legal stipend but then you get into a real slippery slope as far as who gets paid and how much. If it isn't agents it's going to be someone else. We remember Reggie Bush giving his Heisman back because he received improper benefits while at USC. But, did you know that another Heisman winner received money before his eligibility was up? And it wasn't from an agent either it was from then L.A. Rams GM Pete Rozelle.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/heisma...e-at-lsu-28988
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

good read thanks for posting

Sometimes I almost think the best way to deal with these problems is to develop 'anything goes' policies. Drop all the rules about amateurism in big-time college athletics, let's stop pretending there is anything 'pure' about it. There's almost no way to stop it. If someone wants to pay an athlete, let him. If someone wants to give the athlete a car or help pay his rent, so be it. What does that hurt?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Turn Off Ads?