Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post-Hype Sleeper: Homer Bailey

Post-Hype Sleeper: Homer Bailey

Figured it would only be appropriate if I posted it

http://www.rotoauthority.com/2010/10...er-bailey.html

Bailey's work leading up to his DL stint wasn't amazing - 5.51 ERA, 1.48 WHIP, 7.3 K/9, 3.7 BB/9, 1.24 HR/9 in 50.6 innings across nine starts. But check out what he did after he returned: 3.55 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 9.1 K/9, 2.9 BB/9, 0.62 HR/9 in 58.3 innings across ten starts. That included nine and ten-strikeout efforts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Post-Hype Sleeper: Homer Bailey

Is this like tooting your own horn?

But yeah, after he came back, a case could be easily made he was the Reds' most consistent starter by far. If he extends those post-DL numbers into next season and beyond, he'll be a great pitcher.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I hope he does, but didn't he have a similar [actually even better] end of season performance in '09?

To me its not a question of talent, but of him figuring out how to do this consistently.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Didn't he have a stretch similar or better than that at the end of last season? Hopefully its not a sign of inconsistency but actually just further proof his injury at the beginning of the year was what was really hampering him down. The reality is, he may have turned the corner.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I hope he does, but didn't he have a similar [actually even better] end of season performance in '09?

To me its not a question of talent, but of him figuring out how to do this consistently.
    Very similar. Slightly fewer strikeouts and a few more walks.

This year, after the injury he had 61 Ks and 19 walks in 58 innings

Last year, in the last 58 innings, he had 53 Ks and 25 walks.

The ERAs were comparable, though the last 58 innings in 2009 was slightly better than this year. Better FIP, though, to end the year in 2010.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Would be really nice, though I wish I could say that we haven't seen this movie before. Not that I don't think he can do it, but he needs to put it together for an extended perio of time.

I wish his fastball had a little more movement on it, but he's still got good pretty good "stuff", even with a somewhat straight heater.

Here's to hoping for a fully healthy 2011 for Homer, because if he can stay healthy the whole year, he could be a candidate for 12-14 wins IMO. He also seems to be a guy who can go up against The Cardinals and hold his own. That's certainly something to like.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Figured it would only be appropriate if I posted it

http://www.rotoauthority.com/2010/10...er-bailey.html
    Homer (the pitcher, not the poster ), showed a tremendous growth in maturity the 2nd half of 2010. I don't know if he had some sort of divine intervention during his DL stint, but he came back looking like a major league pitcher, not just a kid with a great arm.

It was encouraging to see his velocity spike late in the year.....and even better to see that fantastic playoff appearance.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Homer (the pitcher, not the poster ), showed a tremendous growth in maturity the 2nd half of 2010. I don't know if he had some sort of divine intervention during his DL stint, but he came back looking like a major league pitcher, not just a kid with a great arm.

It was encouraging to see his velocity spike late in the year.....and even better to see that fantastic playoff appearance.
    Worst case scenario he looks like he could be a pretty good closer. IF in some impossible way we were able to unload a good portion of Cordero's contract, it could become a real possibility since we already have a ton of guys aiming for the rotation.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

My question is, was he not right all of that time from the start of the year until he went on the DL in May? We all were well aware that he was well over his 'limit' in innings from 2009 and sure enough, he came out flat in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My question is, was he not right all of that time from the start of the year until he went on the DL in May? We all were well aware that he was well over his 'limit' in innings from 2009 and sure enough, he came out flat in 2010.
    Just looked at the 2010 Verducci list. Had some huge misses this year.

Felix, Latos, Johnson, Scherzer, Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Just looked at the 2010 Verducci list. Had some huge misses this year.

Felix, Latos, Johnson, Scherzer, Davis.
    Lets note that he isn't picking them out, its a purely numerical list.

Lets note that he isn't picking them out, its a purely numerical list.
    True. However, he did pick the "system", and his name is tied to it. If I invent some system based on my parameters, I can't take all credit when it's right, and blame the system when it's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    True. However, he did pick the "system", and his name is tied to it. If I invent some system based on my parameters, I can't take all credit when it's right, and blame the system when it's wrong.
    I don't think that he does either of those things at all though. His name is on the system, but he is far from the only person who is a believer in it. Teams certainly abide by it for the most part as well. They do so because there is something to it.

I don't think that he does either of those things at all though. His name is on the system, but he is far from the only person who is a believer in it. Teams certainly abide by it for the most part as well. They do so because there is something to it.
    I wonder if they truly believe it or if they know that they want to limit someone and use this arbitrary number b/c they don't want to hear about this "known" threshold that they blew through.

Turn Off Ads?