Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game 163 on its way out in expanded playoffs?

Game 163 on its way out in expanded playoffs?

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com...s-way-out.html

It's about the elimination of tie-breaker game 163.

The one the Twins and Tigers played last year is possibly the best game I've ever seen. I was hoping for the double tiebreaker involving the Braves and the NL West. Leave it alone please.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Game 163 on its way out in expanded playoffs?

Why is Bud determined to ruin the game of baseball?

When it comes down to making the playoffs or not, that should be decided on the field, NOT by a computer.

You can also count me as against the extra wild card. Just leave well enough alone, Bud. If you want to leave a legacy, bring about increased instant replay.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Why is Bud determined to ruin the game of baseball?

When it comes down to making the playoffs or not, that should be decided on the field, NOT by a computer.

You can also count me as against the extra wild card. Just leave well enough alone, Bud. If you want to leave a legacy, bring about increased instant replay.
    I actually love this. I feel like they're getting this one right. This puts the emphasis back on winning the division.

Baseball is a long season and after 162 games, I don't think you've got a right to complain if you're left out, especially if it's on account of losing more than winning to a specified team in 12-18 meetings.

I applaud this, if it leads to a Wild Card round.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I feel like the emphasis is already on the division, though.

Wild Card teams can't ever have home field advantage, unless it's in the World Series due to Bud's crazy "All Star game is important!" rule. And to win the Wild Card you are fighting against teams from every division in your league, making it also quite tough.

I might be wrong, but I just don't like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I feel like the emphasis is already on the division, though.

Wild Card teams can't ever have home field advantage, unless it's in the World Series due to Bud's crazy "All Star game is important!" rule. And to win the Wild Card you are fighting against teams from every division in your league, making it also quite tough.

I might be wrong, but I just don't like this.
    Is it really, though? Apparently in the LDS, home field is only worth a win about 55% of the time. This year the road team went 11-4.

I don't know that the Yankees really cared much that they were the wild card.

Now, imagine the Yankees having to win a 1-game playoff as one of the two Wild Card teams. Suddenly the fact they didn't beat out Tampa Bay for the divisional title seems to be a bigger deal.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Doesn't anyone remember the unparalleled drama of the New York Giants radio announcer screaming in 1951 "The Giants win the computer tiebreaker! The Giants win the computer tiebreaker!"?
    A one game playoff to decide who goes on and who stays home is terrific drama. I'm not surprised that Bud Selig wants to eliminate it.
    One other thing ticks me off. The Hall of Fame has already been polluted by the induction of Bowie Kuhn. I fully expect that Selig will eventually join Kuhn in the HOF.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

As a fan of a small market team, extra playoff teams is better for us in the long run.

The longer we play meaningful games, the more fun the season is for me.

And it should allow teams way out of contention to get better returns on their deadline deals, as there will be more buyers and less sellers.

Good Lord Almighty, Bud Selig's a fool! Game 163s are awesome. I watched Tigers-Twins last year from a little hotel room while on vacation in DC (which was awesome, BTW) and the game was one of the funnest I've ever seen. A Twins walkoff in the 12th! OCab homered in that game too, a 2-run shot.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

It looks like I'm in the minority in that I dislike game 163. I feel like teams play each other enough times during the regular season, why can't you just use the head-to-head record. I've always believed the head-to-head record should be used. Baseball is never decided by 1 game. Playoff series are best of 5 and best of 7. During the regular season you play division teams 15 times or so, and other NL teams like 9 times. Why would you throw away that series and make another game? Doesn't make sense to me.

Besides, the Reds would have gone to the playoffs in 1999 since we had beaten the Mets 5 out of 9 games during the season.
    Votto for MVP

I like the idea of eliminating the 1 game playoff. I also think the season should be cut down a few games and maybe play some day-night doubleheaders.

1) I do not like November baseball.

2) The team with the best record (unless you are a wildcard team) should have home field throughtout the playoffs and World Series).

3) If playoffs are expanded series should be no less the 3 out of 5 for wildcard,then 4 out of 7 for the final 3 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Col_ IN Reds fan View Post
    I like the idea of eliminating the 1 game playoff. I also think the season should be cut down a few games and maybe play some day-night doubleheaders.

1) I do not like November baseball.
    Neither do I but they bring it on themselves with all the off days during the playoffs. How ridiculous is it when the NLDS wraps up on Monday night and the NLCS doesn't start till Saturday? Unless it's the All Star break, how many times do you have a 4 day break? They play from April to October with an occasional day off for rain or for scheduling and then during the playoffs they have a game, an off day (or 4) then another game.

2) The team with the best record (unless you are a wildcard team) should have home field throughtout the playoffs and World Series).
    I'm with you but tell that to Bud.

3) If playoffs are expanded series should be no less the 3 out of 5 for wildcard,then 4 out of 7 for the final 3 rounds.
    I'm with you there too but if you are going to have a wild card playoff, it should be the same length as the divisional series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

How ridiculous is it when the NLDS wraps up on Monday night and the NLCS doesn't start till Saturday?
    Patently.

Baseball should tell the networks to A. Bite it and B. Bite it harder.

Also remove the games off TBS, it's the equivalent of Versus. Take less cash and gain more visibility on the networks.

What's with this talk about deciding things on a computer? It's not that difficult to count the number of wins one team has against another. I can do that math on my fingers.

And I don't get the hand wringing over losing all the drama of game 163. With a one game playoff between wild cards you're getting that exact same one shot, lose and go home drama you get in game 163. The only difference is that you're guaranteed a pair of them every year instead of maybe stumbling into one that season.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Patently.

Baseball should tell the networks to A. Bite it and B. Bite it harder.

Also remove the games off TBS, it's the equivalent of Versus. Take less cash and gain more visibility on the networks.
    Baseball should tell the networks to bite it. I agree but then again the playoffs are on TBS. If they tell TBS to bite it whats next the playoffs are on WE?

I hate the set schedule that doesn't allow for flexibility. If the divisional series ends in 4 and 5 games, no way should we have to wait until the series were originally scheduled to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Baseball should tell the networks to bite it. I agree but then again the playoffs are on TBS. If they tell TBS to bite it whats next the playoffs are on WE?

I hate the set schedule that doesn't allow for flexibility. If the divisional series ends in 4 and 5 games, no way should we have to wait until the series were originally scheduled to finish.
    There's always MLB Network or ESPN or even Fox. It couldn't have done any worse than Lone Star.

Flexibility's one thing but they are taking it to NBA levels. Did there need to be an off day between Game 1 and Game 2 of the Reds-Phils series? And did it really need to start on Thursday? They could have scheduled the NLCS to start on Wednesday.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?