Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Least favorite sports radio personality.

Re: Least favorite sports radio personality.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    You really have a few different types of radio hosts.
    1) The Know-it-all contrarian (Cowherd)
    2) The local homers (every city has them, in Columbus we have Ricordati and Torgerson. They are small, petty, and boring)
    3) The local beat writer/columnist turned radio guy (Daugherty, Hooley in Columbus)
    4) The ex-jock
    5) The "none of the above" don't bring anything to the table guys except a radio voice (like Coleman)

I tend to prefer #3. They are more informed than the others, know the local players, but aren't relentless and obnoxious homers.
    The common man and the Torg are pretty entertaining if you ask me. A lot of local guys are. I don't even consider those guys homers. They're pretty critical quite often.

As far as No. 3, I also tend to lean that direction, though sometimes Hooley leans too far to the opposite direction of "homer." He's sometimes over the top with his criticism. But generally, I like guys that don't cater too much to the home crowd, so I agree in principal.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The common man and the Torg are pretty entertaining if you ask me. A lot of local guys are. I don't even consider those guys homers. They're pretty critical quite often.

As far as No. 3, I also tend to lean that direction, though sometimes Hooley leans too far to the opposite direction of "homer." He's sometimes over the top with his criticism. But generally, I like guys that don't cater too much to the home crowd, so I agree in principal.
    You're right. They aren't the true local homers (neither are from Columbus.) But they are very petty and always bad mouth guests after they hang up.
    Last edited by improbus; 10-17-2010 at 10:04 PM.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I guess I could pretty much listen to anyone except Andy Furman or Tom Gamble.

I try to live a good life, because I figure that if I went to Hell, Andy Furman would be on the radio there constantly.

I'll say this though... Dan Patrick is a guy I have a lot of respect for, but every time I try to listen to his radio show I'm disappointed. Seems like a lot of schmoozing with his sidekicks and not so much actual content.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I try to live a good life, because I figure that if I went to Hell, Andy Furman would be on the radio there constantly.
    Furman's actually been filling in on some Fox Radio national shows.

I'll say this though... Dan Patrick is a guy I have a lot of respect for, but every time I try to listen to his radio show I'm disappointed. Seems like a lot of schmoozing with his sidekicks and not so much actual content.

I agree. It seems like he's trying to hard to be a college kid with all the talking about food and women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I don't mind Cowherd so much. He is a caricature of a radio guy, but at least he takes a stance. So many radio guys spend 4 hours on the air and say nothing (I'm looking at you Jim Rome). Cowherd comes with 4 or 5 points per day that he tries to get across. I would rather listen to someone say something (whether I believe it or not) than someone who says nothing. His style reminds me a little of Bill O'Reilly or Rush. You can tell Cowherd has spent alot of time listening to them. Remember, the secret to Rush and O'Reilly's success (irregardess of their political views) is that they get their lovers to listen avidly and their haters to listen angrily. But, they listen nonetheless.

I really enjoy the Dan LeBatard show (which you can download on ITunes). They are sort of the Stephen Colbert of sports radio in that they are a spoof on the genre. LeBatard loves to attack the cliche driven sports world and I find it fun.

BTW, sorry for the three slightly political references, but I'm more interested here in describing their style of presentation and not their actual message or content. (My lawyers advised me to attach this to my post.)

Re: Least favorite radio personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    If by "right" you mean "dead wrong," then you are spot on.
    I guess it depends on what your definition of 'fraud' is.

I don't know if Mark May has a radio show, but if he does, I'm sure it's terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I guess it depends on what your definition of 'fraud' is.
    Considering it was back in May when he was calling them a fraud, and saying that they wouldn't win the division, and that the Cards were the class of the central, and that every single GM in baseball would take Adrian Gonzalez over Joey Votto.

So by that definition, the guy literally went o-fer. Therefore, dead wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Considering it was back in May when he was calling them a fraud, and saying that they wouldn't win the division, and that the Cards were the class of the central, and that every single GM in baseball would take Adrian Gonzalez over Joey Votto.

So by that definition, the guy literally went o-fer. Therefore, dead wrong.
    Yeah, he was wrong on the Reds winning the division. But I think the team was a 'fraud.' What kind of division champion beats up on all the 'crappy' teams and then lays an egg against even the slighest bit of good teams and then proclaims they had a great year? This was a 'meh' year for the REds. Great. Congratulations for making the playoffs. We played 3 more games than the Pirates this year. So what? I'm not happy with this season. We're supposed to beat the terrible teams. If you want to get all excited because we improved and actually beat the teams we're supposed to beat, then more power to you accepting an average team.

And even as a Reds fan I would take AGon over Votto. While I love Joey, AGon plays in a pitchers division while we play in Bandbox Central and he still puts up the same stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Yeah, he was wrong on the Reds winning the division. But I think the team was a 'fraud.' What kind of division champion beats up on all the 'crappy' teams and then lays an egg against even the slighest bit of good teams and then proclaims they had a great year? This was a 'meh' year for the REds. Great. Congratulations for making the playoffs. We played 3 more games than the Pirates this year. So what? I'm not happy with this season. We're supposed to beat the terrible teams. If you want to get all excited because we improved and actually beat the teams we're supposed to beat, then more power to you accepting an average team.

And even as a Reds fan I would take AGon over Votto. While I love Joey, AGon plays in a pitchers division while we play in Bandbox Central and he still puts up the same stats.
    Considering you joined this board this past September, none of this really suprises me.

So many "points" to argue here, but I'll just go with the easy one. Votto's numbers were actually better on the road than at home, and everyone of Votto's numbers was better than Gonzo's even when you adjust for the park factor.

Other than that, trying to say that a team that went 91-71 with a payroll of ~$75M is a fraud is borderline insane.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Petros Papadakis is awful. Nails on a blackboard voice, carries on with stupidity. I made the mistake of tuning in to my local sports radio station in the evening a few weeks back and he was on, carrying on with something like "Platypus Thursday" or something like that for, well, I don't know how long....made it all of 10 seconds.

To give you an example, hold your nose and scream the stupidest thing you can think of over and over again, pause, talk Southern Cal football, pause, go back to screaming stupidity and you have Petros Pterodactyl.
    Last edited by CarolinaRedleg; 10-19-2010 at 09:12 PM.
    Hope isn't a strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Furman's actually been filling in on some Fox Radio national shows.
    This is sad news

I don't know what else to say.

Really, I tend to avoid radio guys who constantly play the LCD (Least Common Denominator) card. It happens too often in all media (USA Today, Mike and Mike, etc...) It is just generic and not interesting. I am a SPORTS fan. I like the actual games. I like the strategy, the actual X's and O's of sports. That is the fascinating part of sports, not the off the field stuff. Explain to me why Favre is struggling ON the field, not what he is doing OFF the field. Very few sports shows (TV or Radio) do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I find Jim Rome unbearable.

If you ever want to hear someone say the same thing 45 different ways to stretch the clock, he is your guy.

He'll say something that takes the comprehension of a third grader to understand, pull out a thesaurus, and say the same thing over and over with different words. It's like, Hey, I get that Roger Federer is a great tennis player- have anything else for us today Jim, or are you just going to run out the time until the first of 2 thousand commercial breaks we're taking this hour?

And enough of the code talk. Someone shouldnt have to listen to you for four weeks to "catch on" to what you are saying.
    Sawlid take. Epic.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?