Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    511

    2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    First they need to trade for Matt Kemp to plug in Lf and hit #4 in the order. Id say this may work.

    Yonder Alonso, J. Cueto, and J. Smith to the Dodgers

    an Reds get Kemp and a prospect

    Then they need to pry Greinke from the Royals.

    Say send Leake, Merasco, Heisey, and Valaika to the Royals

    the Reds get Greinke

    Then the lineup looks like this.
    SP
    Grenike
    Arroyo
    Wood
    Bailey
    Chapman

    BP
    Cordero
    Masset
    Volquez
    Bray
    Rhodes
    Ondrusek


    Starters
    C- Hannigan/Hernadez split time again
    1B- Votto
    2B- Phillips
    3B- Rolen
    SS- Janish
    LF- Kemp
    CF- Stubbs
    RF-Bruce

    Batting order
    1) Stubbs
    2) Bruce
    3) Votto
    4) Kemp
    5) Rolen
    6) Phillips
    7) Hannigan/Hernandez
    8) Janish

    Thats a solid club right there.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    First they need to trade for Matt Kemp to plug in Lf and hit #4 in the order. Id say this may work.

    Yonder Alonso, J. Cueto, and J. Smith to the Dodgers

    an Reds get Kemp and a prospect

    Then they need to pry Greinke from the Royals.

    Say send Leake, Merasco, Heisey, and Valaika to the Royals

    the Reds get Greinke

    Then the lineup looks like this.
    SP
    Grenike
    Arroyo
    Wood
    Bailey
    Chapman

    BP
    Cordero
    Masset
    Volquez
    Bray
    Rhodes
    Ondrusek


    Starters
    C- Hannigan/Hernadez split time again
    1B- Votto
    2B- Phillips
    3B- Rolen
    SS- Janish
    LF- Kemp
    CF- Stubbs
    RF-Bruce

    Batting order
    1) Stubbs
    2) Bruce
    3) Votto
    4) Kemp
    5) Rolen
    6) Phillips
    7) Hannigan/Hernandez
    8) Janish

    Thats a solid club right there.
    I'm glad you aren't in charge, lol.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,400

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I'm glad you aren't in charge, lol.
    Why? You aren't get going to good players for nothing. Reds fans tend to over-romanticize the quality of their players/prospects.

  5. #4
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Why? You aren't get going to good players for nothing. Reds fans tend to over-romanticize the quality of their players/prospects.
    1st of all Johnny Cueto, and Leake aren't prospects anymore, they've been very productive at the major league level.

    On top of them you would be losing Jordan Smith, who has been pretty decent out of the bullpen. Yonder Alonso, Chris Heisey, and Chris Valaika.

    I guess I don't look at losing Cueto, Leake, and 4 other guys with a lot of potential a wise move for the future. Especially when you're a team with a limited payroll like the Reds, depth is a beautiful thing. What are you going to do if you trade 6 of those guys for Grienke and then he has a major injury? Im not saying I wouldn't trade top prospects for him, but in these deals you're trading guys who are already producing well at the major league level, along with several top prospects. No thanks.

  6. #5
    Retro-Gamer Krawhitham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,733

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    Kemp is only signed through 2011 (for 7 million) and then is a FA

    Greinke makes 11:$13.5M, 12:$13.5M and then is a FA

    You're adding 20 million and removing very little about 2 million

    7 players for 2 seams a little extreme when you could lose the 2 in just a couple years because of FA

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    906

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    no mention of volquez in this post? fore shaowing? i think yall are giving up your hopes this offseason which is likely to have little activity. i think the reds come back w/ about the same cast of characters next season.

  8. #7
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I'm glad you aren't in charge, lol.
    Me too.

    The reason we're winning now is because 40% of our 25-man roster came through our farm system.

    Sure, some of our guys have 2 to 3 years in the majors under their belts, but they should only continue to improve with more seasons.

    We need to tweak the roster, not overhaul it.

    Agree that Kemp for 1 year is not worth those guys.

    I'm up for getting Greinke, and like his contract amounts considering he's a #1 type starter. I'd be more forgiving regarding who'd we'd have to trade for Greinke.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    913

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    Alonso, Smith, and Cueto for Kemp? Way too much. Straight up for Cueto would be enough (with maybe a low level throw in). Other than that, I am not sure the Dodgers are looking for prospects. Who knows what they would want with their ownership issues. Yet your trade is way too much for Kemp.

    You can also subtract at least one, probably two from the Grienke trade. Leake and Mesaraco would be able to get it done. Catching prospects like Mesaraco are worth a lot, and adding in a first round pitcher with a year in the bigs already is more than enough. Maybe a throw in lower level player. Yet I don't think this team is looking to unload Mesaraco. Hernandez is old and injury prone (plus only has an option year left), and Hanigan is no spring chicken.

    On top of all that, as stated, you are adding a ton of salary this team cannot afford.
    Last edited by scott91575; 10-17-2010 at 12:24 AM.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    IF KC wont bite on ChrisH,Jordan Smith, Valakia and Yonder for ZAckG then I dont do the trade....Yonder has shown flashes of being very good with the bat....Jordan is a staple to any bullpen in baseball...might not be the front runner, but he would do good for any pen, Chris and Chris look to both be starters in this league....CH looks like he could stay awhile.....that is alot to give up for Zack, who by all means is leaving KC soon as he gets a chance.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    511

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    IF KC wont bite on ChrisH,Jordan Smith, Valakia and Yonder for ZAckG then I dont do the trade....Yonder has shown flashes of being very good with the bat....Jordan is a staple to any bullpen in baseball...might not be the front runner, but he would do good for any pen, Chris and Chris look to both be starters in this league....CH looks like he could stay awhile.....that is alot to give up for Zack, who by all means is leaving KC soon as he gets a chance.
    KC would want a young starting pitcher in return for Grenike. So if you dont add one they will not bite,
    Kemp is under team control for 2 more years not 1 more. Till after the 2012 season.

  12. #11
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,500

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    I like the targets, just think the deals are giving up too much.

    Kemp is on the trading block because of bad work habits, and a perceived lack of desire to play. He is also coming off his worst year ever, both offensively and defensively. He is damaged goods. The Dodgers are not happy with Loney, so Alonso might be desired, but they really need a strong starting pitcher, and a good one will be all that it takes to get Kemp. They will want one of Cueto/Volquez/Bailey. The trick for the Reds is figuring out which one will be the best to trade. It's a toss up right now, imo.

    As for Greinke, he too is coming off his worst year ever, plus he will make $27M the next two seasons. If the Royals trade him, they will want cheap, young talent, as they are a few years away from contending. Probably more guys in A and AA than major league ready guys. They definitely would be interested in Alonso, as they need bats. They will find a place for him if he is hitting. A Greinke deal would probably look more like this...

    Yonder Alonso, Juan Duran, Phillippe Valiquette, Juan Carlos Sulbaran and Neftali Soto.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I like the targets, just think the deals are giving up too much.

    Kemp is on the trading block because of bad work habits, and a perceived lack of desire to play. He is also coming off his worst year ever, both offensively and defensively. He is damaged goods. The Dodgers are not happy with Loney, so Alonso might be desired, but they really need a strong starting pitcher, and a good one will be all that it takes to get Kemp. They will want one of Cueto/Volquez/Bailey. The trick for the Reds is figuring out which one will be the best to trade. It's a toss up right now, imo.

    As for Greinke, he too is coming off his worst year ever, plus he will make $27M the next two seasons. If the Royals trade him, they will want cheap, young talent, as they are a few years away from contending. Probably more guys in A and AA than major league ready guys. They definitely would be interested in Alonso, as they need bats. They will find a place for him if he is hitting. A Greinke deal would probably look more like this...

    Yonder Alonso, Juan Duran, Phillippe Valiquette, Juan Carlos Sulbaran and Neftali Soto.

    not saying your wrong.....and not saying I am right...but I just dont see us giving that much up for anyone not named Doc Halladay.

    Go look up previous trades for top notch pitching and see what was given up...maybe it is on par with what you posted, but I think the trade I was saying is overpaying by a ton.....you just dont see teams giving up more than a few prospects for anyone nowadays, let alone 5 prospects.....who knows? But I do know that I want ZG on this staff.

    Zack G
    Bronson
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Leake/Wood/Chapman......these guys are gonna have to split time if we want them in the playoffs...got to watch those innings

    so if we trade Leake or Wood.....that leaves us with Bailey as more trade bait or that much needed 6th starter when pitchers need rest or injuries occur...Sam L and Matt M gives us a few more options.....

    so LEake or Wood should be able to gain us a good LF bat to go along with already getting our Ace for the staff. Let Janish take over SS and our team just got better by at least 15 games and should make us a staple for the playoffs these next 3 years.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    Is Kemp really that much better than Gomes? Enough to justify paying him that much more? To me he's not, and not even close.

    I'm all for upgrading LF, but I don't think Kemp is the answer. I'd like to see what it would take to get Greinke, but I wouldn't give up the farm for him or anything and that is what it would likely take.

    We have a really good young core, and some potential aces on our staff. We're going to be better next year, and you never know, guys always become available at the trade deadline and I'd like to see us be more active then assuming we're in the race.

  15. #14
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    Reds trade Heisey, Cueto, Phillips, Cordero, Neftali Soto, and Brad Boxberger to Seattle for Chone Figgins and Felix Hernandez.

    Cordero and Phillips have 1 year left on their contracts for a total of $23M approximately. Seattle takes on their contracts to allow the Reds to financially take on Figgins and Hernandez's contracts, and on top of it Seattle gets a starting OFer, #2 quality young proven starter in Cueto, and 2 quality minor leaguers. Seattle was unhappy with Figgins this year, so they get rid of their so-called problem. The Reds get rid of Cueto and won't have to deal with the problems it causes when playing the Cardinals. Masset/Chapman/Ondrusek close as a tandem.

    That is my blockbuster deal of the century.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    352

    Re: 2 moves that the Reds have to make this off season

    Jason Bartlett and Matt Kemp


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25