Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Agent Market For Shortstops

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Free Agent Market For Shortstops

I would love to see the Reds acquire J.J. Hardy. He's an above average defensive shortstop and has a career .746 OPS, though it's tailed off the last two years. Get him out of Target Field and into the smaller GABP and he would probably hit 15-20 homers and OPS .750. He could probably be had for a reasonable price too...

Anybody know what the defensive metrics say about Uribe? I could see GABP giving his power numbers a huge spike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Bartlett is the one I'd like to see sought after. He is a potential top of the lineup guy even though this past season wasn't a good one and by far the best defender of the bunch. I'm guessing the Reds would rather retain OCab than trade for Bartlett and his additional 2 mill but if we were to go after one he'd be my target.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 10-17-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I had a dream last night the Reds signed Uribe. Don't ask me why. I don't even know why I'd dream about such a thing. Random, I realize, but thought I'd pass that along.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Uribe is around average defensively. Personally, I have no interest in the Reds signing a free agent with a .300 career OBP -- though I'd take Uribe over Cabrera.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Hardy sounds interesting. Pretty impressive between '07 and '08. Not sure why his numbers have been down the past few years, but he seems way too young to be tailing off like that.

I'd be ok with Hardy or Uribe on a reasonable deal, but with Cozart and Janish, I'd be happy with a third option who can hit LH and maybe play a little 2B and 3B added to the mix. I and many others have floated Reid Brignac's name before (and I still like that idea) but the Red Sox may have an extra SS lying around. Marco Scutaro is in the last year of a two year deal at $5 Million and after finally getting healthy Jed Lowrie put up a line of .287/.381/.526/.907 in 197 PAs. Lowrie can play SS, and spot at 2B and 3B, hits lefty and would seem to be obtainable. Not sure if the Reds match-up with the Sox needs and they probably would be more likely to deal Scutaro, but Boston may be a place to look.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Uribe would be a good option for 2 years/$4 million per year if the Reds decided to bring in a free agent.

Hardy would probably be worth a 3 year deal at $3 million per year.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

What about a Janish/Omar Vizquel platoon?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'd rather go in with Janish as the guy next year, spend the money on a bat for LF.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Janish/Renteria?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'd rather go in with Janish as the guy next year, spend the money on a bat for LF.
    Ditto.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    We just need a decent backup in case he misses any time. I guess we could lean on Valaika, but I wouldn't want him in there for any long stretches. I don't think Cozart is quite ready, so I'd like to see them pick up a backup somewhere.

I agree that the spot with the most potential for improvement through FA is left Field.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Unless it's a significant upgrade, like Stephen Drew, let Janish and Cozart compete in ST. The team is going to have to continue to try to develop players from within, and SS is a spot where they can do that in 2011 -- if the choice is between the homegrown guy and a middling vet on a short-term deal.

The idea is that if the homegrown guy proves to be a player, you've got a budget-friendly solution for a few years. Not the kind of thing you want to be doing at multiple positions every year, but one spot a year, if the system has produced the possibility, is a healthy approach for an organization like the Reds. Last year was CF. They showed patience with Stubbs, and now look -- they don't have to worry about it for a while. It won't always work, but they have to try nonetheless.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 10-18-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Turn Off Ads?