Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #4 prospect?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Junior Arias

1 0.93%
  • Brad Boxberger

0 0%
  • Daniel Corcino

0 0%
  • Jonathan Correa

0 0%
  • Zack Cozart

16 14.95%
  • Danny Dorn

2 1.87%
  • Juan Duran

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

6 5.61%
  • Todd Frazier

8 7.48%
  • Yasmani Grandal

5 4.67%
  • Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

65 60.75%
  • Jacob Johnson

0 0%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Ryan LaMarre

0 0%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

1 0.93%
  • David Sappelt

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

0 0%
  • Ronald Torreyes

1 0.93%
  • Chris Valaika

2 1.87%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRed44 View Post
    Just curious, why is Felix Perez not included on these lists. I like his chances much more then most of the available list. It's quite possible the gaping whole known as LF will be his to lose within the next couple years.
    He'll be added to the next poll.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm going to vote a lot of names before I vote Felix.

I went with Grandal. So I can see the overwhelming choice here is Hamilton though.

So if the question I asked was, "Who will have the better career, Grandal or Hamilton?", you guys are going with Billy? I'm not. Or am I reading the question different than some of you?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I went with Grandal. So I can see the overwhelming choice here is Hamilton though.

So if the question I asked was, "Who will have the better career, Grandal or Hamilton?", you guys are going with Billy? I'm not. Or am I reading the question different than some of you?
    I hope you aren't reading the question differently than some of us, because that is supposed to be how the question is read.

And yes, in that case, I am taking Billy Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I hope you aren't reading the question differently than some of us, because that is supposed to be how the question is read.

And yes, in that case, I am taking Billy Hamilton.
    Absolutely a fair point and a fair choice. I'm an odds guy, and I'm just suprised more people aren't projecting the 12th pick in this years draft to eventually be more sucessful than a guy who is doing great in rookie ball and more importantly has fine tools. Not to take anything away from Hamilton, but my Vegas mind says go with Grandal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Hypothetical question, why is it assumed Cozart can't someday hit for a high avg.?
    Because he's 25 and is a career .262 hitter?

Gotta take Billy here. I actually picked him last round.

I like Cozart a lot but he's not a contender for me until a few more rounds have passed.

Fun question: How many Reds prospects are serious contenders for top-100 status? At least five, certainly.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    Fun question: How many Reds prospects are serious contenders for top-100 status? At least five, certainly.
    Chapman, Mesoraco, Alonso, Y Rodridguez, Hamilton and Grandal. I think we will see each of them in a Top 100 over the winter (perhaps not all in the same one).

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

There is an interesting dynamic developing when talking about prospects and their rankings. You pose an good question in "Who will have the better career?" But I think you have to look further than just who will have the better big league career.

I fully believe that every organization should be able to produce organization fodder across all levels. Guys who will be called up to play in the majors who are nothing more than replacement, or sub-replacement level big leaguers. Guys like Rosales who probably will play a handful of years in the majors but never really be anything more than a utility player. Should that type of player rank ahead of a guy with the ceiling like Hamilton? Should that guy really have more value than Hamilton? To me being a prospect isn't just about making it to the show, more the overall value that he has as he makes his way through the minor league system.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Because he's 25 and is a career .262 hitter?
    Just played his age 24 season, but I digress. Odds are probably with you but until he doesn't do it or hits age 27-28 I will not assume he won't. Contact issues can be fixed (and routinely are with motivated players) and without harming any other facet of his game. In fact it will likely improve his other facets if he improves it.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 10-19-2010 at 06:26 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Is there a more underrated prospect in the organization than Juan Francisco? I say no.

Very funny how the selection of Cozart in the draft was met with resounding unhappiness. If I recall, he was singled out as the worst of the Reds' high draft choices that year.

Now he's likely to be a top six or seven guy in the RedsZone poll.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Is there a more underrated prospect in the organization than Juan Francisco? I say no.
    I agree. He's 23, his minor league stats every year are among the organization's best. His OBP is gradually improving. And defensively, he has a great arm, is improving, and didn't look too bad with the Reds this year.

His tools are unquestioned.

Yet he's not the flavor of the month and won't do well in this poll.

Whatever. Reds seem to like him, he's usually the first guy called up to the majors when they need a lefty bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Very funny how the selection of Cozart in the draft was met with resounding unhappiness. If I recall, he was singled out as the worst of the Reds' high draft choices that year.

Now he's likely to be a top six or seven guy in the RedsZone poll.
    I recall that, too. People were worried he'd go all Pete Kozma on us. To be honest, I always liked Cozart more than others, but I knew he needed to make major adjustments once he hit professional baseball. The only surprise for me is how quickly and smoothly he did them.

Turn Off Ads?