Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #4 prospect?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Junior Arias

1 0.93%
  • Brad Boxberger

0 0%
  • Daniel Corcino

0 0%
  • Jonathan Correa

0 0%
  • Zack Cozart

16 14.95%
  • Danny Dorn

2 1.87%
  • Juan Duran

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

6 5.61%
  • Todd Frazier

8 7.48%
  • Yasmani Grandal

5 4.67%
  • Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

65 60.75%
  • Jacob Johnson

0 0%
  • Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • Ryan LaMarre

0 0%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

1 0.93%
  • David Sappelt

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

0 0%
  • Ronald Torreyes

1 0.93%
  • Chris Valaika

2 1.87%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Is there a more underrated prospect in the organization than Juan Francisco? I say no.
    He could blow away the prospect rankings (here and elsewhere), or he could bomb. I like him as a prospect, but if he's going to make it in Cincy he'll have to show some consistency on defense. Otherwise, he'll be given the EdE treatment (hello, AL!). Ks plus Es = short leash.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Is there a more underrated prospect in the organization than Juan Francisco? I say no.
    I basically agree. I definitely think he's the most divisive prospect--along with Alonso. It seems to me that this board is roughly split into a Francisco camp (power, production, counting numbers, improvement) and an Alonso camp (plate discipline, walks, pedigree, scouting reports).

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Juan Francisco is a much better prospect today than he was a year ago today, yet he is still going to find himself lower on the rankings because of the other talent in the system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I recall that, too. People were worried he'd go all Pete Kozma on us. {snip} but I knew he needed to make major adjustments once he hit professional baseball. The only surprise for me is how quickly and smoothly he did them.
    I am with this edited part here. The concerns from scouts coming out of college was that he wouldn't hit with wood. Zack will even tell you himself that he had to make major adjustments when he turned pro to adjust to wood because he was essentially all arms in his swing and had to learn to use his entire body with his swing as a pro. I am glad the Reds were on top of this one.

I think it's no coincidence that while the Reds have brought in a lot of fresh blood into the organization, the quality and quantity of prospects has increased significantly over the past few years. Scouting deserves a lot of credit, but the development side of it goes unnoticed a lot more often. How many of these prospects/ex-prospects do you think would have the success they're having during the Jim Bowden regime? I'm talking about guys like Travis Wood, Drew Stubbs, Logan Ondrusek, Homer Bailey, Devin Mesoraco, Billy Hamilton, Dave Sappelt, Johnny Cueto, Aroldis Chapman, etc.

Billy Hamilton. The move forward this year, the switch hitting change and the overall skillset makes him a really interesting prospect.

As far as the whole "no power" label, I think its nonsense. He is 6'1 so its not like he is some tiny guy with limited baseline power potential. The guy won't be slugging it out for any HR titles but I am pretty sure he could be a 15-20 guy at his peak.

Keep in mind once upon a time Zack Cozart was considered a no power guy.

Yeah, he's 6"1". And 160 pounds.

Personally, I'd like to see him stay 160 and keep all the speed and quickness he has shown. He projects to be a leadoff hitter and I think there's much more to that than power. And Billy has those other skills in spades.

Turn Off Ads?