Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your brush with Greatness?

Re: Your brush with Greatness?

I don't know if I would call it a brush with greatness but I was out skiing in Utah with my family a few years ago. We were at Deer Valley which is a pretty swank resort. No snow boarders, huge houses all around, and the rich and famous like to stay and ski in Deer Valley. Anyway I was in a lift line waiting to catch a chair up to the top. Ahead of me getting ready to get on a chair was Mark Eaton. You ever seen a 7 foot 4 guy on skis? Its pretty awkward looking if you ask me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Back around the time I knew Max Lucado my circle also included Maulty Moore, who was a member of the '72 dolphins. That guy had One Nice Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't know if I would call it a brush with greatness but I was out skiing in Utah with my family a few years ago. We were at Deer Valley which is a pretty swank resort. No snow boarders, huge houses all around, and the rich and famous like to stay and ski in Deer Valley. Anyway I was in a lift line waiting to catch a chair up to the top. Ahead of me getting ready to get on a chair was Mark Eaton. You ever seen a 7 foot 4 guy on skis? Its pretty awkward looking if you ask me.
    Those guys are hard to miss, thought. I saw Artis Gilmore at the Louisville Zoo back when he played for the Colonels. He didn't exactly blend in.

I ran into Elaine Irwin Mellencamp at a grocery store in Bloomington, no make up on and was wearing a sweatshirt and baseball hat and she was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    ..as I turned the corner, chatting away with her I barreled right into Shatner. After the initial embarassment, and apologising, he was a very nice man. We chatted for about 10-15 minutes, and it was fun to see how he lit up talking about his horses.
    Did he invite you swimming?

About 5 years ago me and my wife are getting off a las vegas elevator. Im not looking in front of me because im talking to my wife and I bump into Mike Tyson. Horrifired that i had just bumped into one of the most dangerous men on the planet, I said im sorry and excuse me. He smiled and said that he was sorry and excuse me and then got onto the elevator. To this day I still tell people that i got Mike Tyson to tell me he was sorry. My other one is about a year or two ago I met and talked to Colin Cowherd for about 5 minutes when he was in Martini park in Columbus for his show. He was coming out of what I could only assume was some kind of production trailor in the parking lot. At the time i wasnt even aware that his show was thier that day. We actually didnt even talk about sports we talked about columbus and our kids. Much to the dissapointment of Redszone, he was actually a super nice guy.

I was a nodding acquaintance of family murderer Chris Beniot. Talked to him quite a few times about him wrestling in japan and such. His wife Nancy was a customer of mine back in my shoe salesmen days.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990REDS View Post
    About 5 years ago me and my wife are getting off a las vegas elevator. Im not looking in front of me because im talking to my wife and I bump into Mike Tyson. Horrifired that i had just bumped into one of the most dangerous men on the planet, I said im sorry and excuse me. He smiled and said that he was sorry and excuse me and then got onto the elevator. To this day I still tell people that i got Mike Tyson to tell me he was sorry.
    You didn't steal his tiger, did you? :

Quote Originally Posted by 1990REDS View Post
    About 5 years ago me and my wife are getting off a las vegas elevator. Im not looking in front of me because im talking to my wife and I bump into Mike Tyson. Horrifired that i had just bumped into one of the most dangerous men on the planet, I said im sorry and excuse me. He smiled and said that he was sorry and excuse me and then got onto the elevator. To this day I still tell people that i got Mike Tyson to tell me he was sorry.
    This could have been both a brush with greatness and a brush with death.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I met the band Chicago on the plaza at Riverfront Stadium back in the late 1990s. They were hanging out at a Reds game, I recognized them and went up to Jason Sheff and introduced myself.

He then introduced me to pretty much everyone in the band. I shook hands with Lee Loughlane, Walt Parazaider, Bobby Lamm, Bill Champlin....dude, it was so freaking cool.

By coincidence I had front row seats to their show the next night, and he kept telling the rest of the guys this fact, which he found much more amusing than anybody else. This may have been because he was a little tipsy, but he kept shaking my hand and saying, "I'm going to give you so much (crap) tomorrow night." (Which he did not, thankfully, but he did come over and shake my hand at the show).

During our conversation I mentioned that I knew his father had played bass for John Denver, and for years I thought it was this fact that impressed him enough to talk to me for as long as he did (He would have stood there all night, he was that cool), but then I read somewhere that his father's real claim to fame was that he was the bass player for Elvis Presley.

That's like going up to Michael Anthony's kid and saying, "Hey, wasn't your dad in Chickenfoot?"

I've ran into several famous people, but just yesterday I got to meet Dave Winfield. He's a client where I work and came into the office. Super nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Did he invite you swimming?
    Nope. But I'm not a tall leggy blonde either!

I've had phone conversations with coach K. It revolved around a friend of mine that died from cancer at 22, who was a huge Duke fan. One of the nicest most generous people I've ever met.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I have previously about having met Chuck Yeager and Martina McBride, although neither was a chance encounter.
    I met Yeager at a Yeagers Scholars meeting at Marshall University about five years ago. I chatted with him for some time and got his autograph, although I very much regret not having my photograph taken with him.
    I've met Martina twice at "Meet & Greets" before concerts, and had my photo taken with her each time. The photographs portion of Reds Zone has one of the photos taken of my wife and me with Martina. I later had Martina autograph that photo when I met her the second time. Sadly, she didn't seem to remember our first meeting as well as I did.
    The only other even quasi-brush with "greatness" I have ever had was a discussion with Rick Stanley more than a decade ago. Stanley is now an evangelist, but as a teenager he was the "stepbrother" of Elvis Presley. Vernon Presley married his mother in the 1970s. It was interesting discussing Elvis with him.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I had dinner with the owner of Ludwig drums on multiple occasions due to my mom's job. That was pretty cool and I'll never forget just how generous he was to the servers. He would drop a $100 tip for a $20 check.

Turn Off Ads?