Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your brush with Greatness?

Re: Your brush with Greatness?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I have previously about having met Chuck Yeager and Martina McBride, although neither was a chance encounter.
    I met Yeager at a Yeagers Scholars meeting at Marshall University about five years ago. I chatted with him for some time and got his autograph, although I very much regret not having my photograph taken with him.
    I'd love to have dinner with Yeager. Think of the stories he could tell.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'd love to have dinner with Yeager. Think of the stories he could tell.
    During the Yeager Scholars dinner, while he talked about his career, the story I best recall was about Yeager having taken a ride on a luge at age 80.
    While I was chatting with Yeager prior to the dinner I mentioned to him something I had read in his autobiography. In the book he had written about how he and his lifelong buddy, Bud Anderson, have in recent years sometimes flown P-51 Mustangs painted up to resemble the planes they flew together in World War II. Yeager's plane was named "Glamorous Glennis" after his wife, whereas Anderson, who was single in WWII, named his plane "Old Crow" after his drink of choice.
    In the book Yeager related that Anderson's wife had complained that people must think that his plane was named after her, lamenting what people must think she looked like an old crow. When I mentioned that to Yeager he responded: "She was an old crow. She was a [I]*****![I] ---edit: Rules here do not allow for my quote of the General. He used a word sometimes used in reference to a female dog, for those keeping score at home.
    At the time, Yeager, Glennis having died of cancer, had remarried, wedding a 49 year old at age 80. Sadly, I have read that this marriage has caused a breach between Yeager and his childen.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 10-25-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Reason for edit in post body
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    During the Yeager Scholars dinner, while he talked about his career, the story I best recall was about Yeager having taken a ride on a luge at age 80.
    While I was chatting with Yeager prior to the dinner I mentioned to him something I had read in his autobiography. In the book he had written about how he and his lifelong buddy, Bud Anderson, have in recent years soemtimes flown P-51 Mustangs painted up to resemble the planes they flew together in World War II. Yeager's plane was named "Glamorous Glennis" after his wife, whereas Anderson, who was single in WWII, named his plane "Old Crow" after his drink of choice.
    In the book Yeager related that Anderson's wife had complained that people must think that his plane was named after her, lamenting what people must think she looked like an old crow. When I mentioned that to Yeager he responded: "She was an old crow. She was a [I]*****![I] ---edit: Rules here do not allow for my quote of the General. He used a word sometimes used in reference to a female dog, for those keeping score at home.
    At the time, Yeager, Glennis having died of cancer, had remarried, wedding a 49 year old at age 80. Sadly, I have read that this marriage has caused a breach between Yeager and his childen.
    Yeager is quite a character. MY grandfather was his childhood friend and oh the stories he could tell! As a Marshall alum who had very close ties to the Yeager Scholars I also "bumped into him" a few times. His reputation for being a wild and crazy guy did not come unjustifiably!

My grandmother ran a little restaurant in rural Boone County after her husband died. My mother was very young at the time. Mom tells the story that Yeager burst in one day, woman in tow, saying, 'look, I told you I was married! This is my wife and little girl!' at which point he sat down and put my mother on his lap.

There has to be a story there somewhere.

Allen County (OH) Fair -- 1993.....

I arrived in the early evening and most of the parking places had been filled. I was directed to park on the infield of the race track. Upon exiting my vehicle, I noticed Billy Ray Cyrus (who was performing that night) about fifty feet or so away from me. He was riding a policeman's horse as a few other policemen were cruising around with him.

I then look down onto the ground and noticed a few jagged rocks strewn about the grassy field. I suddenly had a vision of myself picking up a rock about the size of a baseball. This vision continued with me executing a perfect fundamental crow hop and hurling the jagged rock on a straight trajectory towards Mr. Cyrus' head and his famous mullet. The vision then continued with the mounted Allen County police officers galloping towards me and ordering me to put my hands above my head.

I decided not to throw any rocks. I just waved at him and he ignored me.

Hap's story reminded me that I once rode in an elevator with Bud Selig up in Milwaukee.

I had my chance to take him out and I blew it. I think I said "hi".

Pay attention to the open sky

I forgot to mention astronaut Story Musgrave in my first post. Musgrave used to be CNN's go-to guy when it came to space stuff and has made more trips into space than any other human in history. He gave a speech at my place of employment one a few years ago.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

TV Guide network's reminding me that my phone list should include Mary Louise Parker. She was friendly.

And watching the Steelers yesterday I saw a guy I had a class with, Doug Lagursky, playing right guard.
    Last edited by tixe; 10-25-2010 at 06:14 PM.

This is my favorite baseball brush with greatness story.

Ralph Terry (Yankees pitcher 50's-60's) was playing A Ball in NY, on a Saturday he happened to read that the HOF game was being played in nearby Cooperstown. Ralph who had never seen a MLB game got permission to go to the game, it was the Yankees so he was also cleared to sit on the bench.

Feeling good and wanting everyone to know he was a "player" he strode into the bench area where he saw 3 older gents sitting on the far end. He walked right up to them and declared (in a voice he decided later sounded a tad cocky) "I'm Ralph Terry and pitch for the Binghamton Yankees!!"

The oldest guy next to turned and said.. "Well how do you do Ralph? My name is Cy Young and these two gentlemen are Zack Wheat and Ty Cobb." Terry felt a tad overwhelmed and sat down, Young proceeded to talk pitching with him for the next hour.

I used to work at Domino's Pizza in McLean, VA, and also in Great Falls, VA and also in Georgetown, DC. I probably made hundreds and hundreds of pizzas for famous people.

For example...

In McLean, I made a medium extravaganzza for Colin Powell about once a week. However, I never talked to him on the phone; it was always his housekeeper. One time, I delivered it, just so I could say I delivered a pizza (that I had made) to Colin Powell. The housekeeper tipped me $1.50.

We also delivered to Ethel Kennedy's house (Hickory Hill) on a regular basis.

In Georgetown, there was a restaurant about a block down the street (Prospect Ave NW) where (then-Secretary of State) Madeline Albright would eat dinner on a regular basis. A security detail of about a dozen Chevy Suburbans would block off the street and all the parking lots. Sometimes, the windows would be down and the agents could be seen with their guns already drawn.

When I was fifteen years old, my sister and I went to a Reds-Astros game that would end up being rained out. Because of the hard rain, her VW bug wouldn't start. We had to call our dad but didn't have a dime for the pay phone. Johnny Bench stopped by, loaned us a dime, and waited with us until our dad arrived.

In the late 1980s, I met and became friends with Johnny Sain. He told me lots of stories and gave me some autographed items.

I met Ted Kennedy at Logan Airport in the late 1960s. It was early in the morning and he stood with my mother and me as he waited to board a plane.

I traded shots of Wild Turkey with Boston Bruins tough guy Wayne Cashman at goalie Eddie Johnston's bar in Rowley, Massachusetts.

I played electronic Pong with Bruin defenseman Dallas Smith at Rico's in Danvers, Mass.

I met Kurt Vonnegut at a bed and breakfast in Bridgton, Maine.

I partied with Delbert McClinton after his gig at a bar in Boston.

I listened to an inning of a Red Sox game and talked baseball with former vice-presidential candidate Henry Cabot Lodge.

Charles Sweeney, who dropped the second atomic bomb, served with my father in World War II and was a regular at our house and a drinking buddy of my father's.
    Last edited by Spitball; 10-25-2010 at 10:20 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

In the late 1980s, I met and became friends with Johnny Sain. He told me lots of stories and gave me some autographed items.
    I've been reading a bunch in Sain this past week, he sounds like a real baseball character, a pitchers dream, and that's just as a coach. I've always been interested in his career, he tends to be on staffs that interest me. His body of work is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I've been reading a bunch in Sain this past week, he sounds like a real baseball character, a pitchers dream, and that's just as a coach. I've always been interested in his career, he tends to be on staffs that interest me. His body of work is amazing.
    He was an interesting and opinionated guy. He had some very interesting theories and baseball stories, especially about Billy Martin.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    He was an interesting and opinionated guy. He had some very interesting theories and baseball stories, especially about Billy Martin.
    Yep, martin and he tangled when they coached in Minnesota, Martin dressed down a pitcher for failing to sac correctly, Sain apparently was so incensed at the whole staff that he moved out of the coaches dressing room and dressed with the players. And continued to do that for the rest of career, including when he was the coach of the 68 Tigers

I saw David Stern about an hour ago when I was running.

Turn Off Ads?