Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cubs sign Mike Quade as Manager to a 2-year deal, with club option for a 3rd.

Cubs sign Mike Quade as Manager to a 2-year deal, with club option for a 3rd.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubs sign Mike Quade as Manager to a 2-year deal, with club option for a 3rd.

anything that keeps me from seeing ryno on a regular basis is a good thing

Re: Cubs sign Mike Quade as Manager to a 2-year deal, with club option for a 3rd.

who?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

The interim guy who ran the club last season after Lou left.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Any one else think that having a no-name manager might make it more difficult for the Cubs to sign a top free agent?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Any one else think that having a no-name manager might make it more difficult for the Cubs to sign a top free agent?
    Possibly, but the Reds hired a "no-name" manager once and that worked out pretty well.

Cubs will be tough. Good move.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Let's see..... ummmm no.

Big city, big payroll, a chance to be a part of the biggest celebration ever if your team wins.

Baseball players have respect for baseball guys, not just name managers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Cubs will be tough. Good move.
    I don't see it. Cubs have some awful contracts that they need to move. Their rotation is also a little weak. They do have some nice young players but they need to find solutions for Fukadome, Soriano, and Ramirez as well as find out which Zambrano they are going to get.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Let's see..... ummmm no.

Big city, big payroll, a chance to be a part of the biggest celebration ever if your team wins.

Baseball players have respect for baseball guys, not just name managers.

I understand this premise. I know this is only one instance, but I remember Cordero said he signed here because of the presense of Dusty Baker. I just don't see players pining to play for Mike Quade that did not come up in the Cubs' system.

The Cubs would have the luxury of being in Chicago and having a big payroll, irregardless of who they signed as their manager. I just think that some big-time players may have been even more excited to play in Chicago if they got a Joe Girardi rather than an organizational soldier.

I just don't think that many guys would get excited to play for a guy who didn't play in the bigs and was a third-base coach for a bad team. How much respect does Mike Quade get as a baseball guy? He doesn't have much of a resume to speak of at this point.

I just don't think that many guys would get excited to play for a guy who didn't play in the bigs and was a third-base coach for a bad team. How much respect does Mike Quade get as a baseball guy? He doesn't have much of a resume to speak of at this point.
    This isn't the NFL, the manager is not entwined in a system that makes or breaks a franchise. Most managers are "baseball guys" most were complete washouts as players, most make their resume in the minors through day to day interactions throughout the game that we as fans never even see or touch.

Evidently Mike Quade impressed someone enough to get them to open their wallet, chances are that impression was forwarded by feedback from guys in-between the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't see it. Cubs have some awful contracts that they need to move. Their rotation is also a little weak. They do have some nice young players but they need to find solutions for Fukadome, Soriano, and Ramirez as well as find out which Zambrano they are going to get.
    I hope those contracts keep Zambrano's wish from coming true.

Big Z calls for Cubs to sign Dunn.

Asked what he'd do to improve the Cubs, Zambrano replied: "If I want to do something with this team, I think we need another good hitter to protect (Aramis Ramirez) and Marlon (Byrd). You know which one I'm talking about."

Adam Dunn?

"Yeah, I want that guy," he said. "He wants to play for us, not only this year, but two years ago he told me he wants to play at Wrigley Field badly, after he was traded to Arizona from Cincinnati......"
    http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com...adam-dunn.html
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I understand this premise. I know this is only one instance, but I remember Cordero said he signed here because of the presense of Dusty Baker.
    That and the Reds outbid the Brewers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Adam Dunn wants to play for The Cubs? Perhaps those people who questioned his desire to win were right. :
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Adam Dunn wants to play for The Cubs? Perhaps those people who questioned his desire to win were right. :
    Nice.

Turn Off Ads?