Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since I asked for the worst World Series-

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Since I asked for the worst World Series-

What's the best you remember? Even though I've only watched parts of it on tape, '75 stands out for me.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Re: Since I asked for the worst World Series-

'75 Reds-Red Sox of course. People forget the 3 days of rainouts in Boston leading up to game 6 adding to the drama.

others....

'91 Twins-Braves
    '64 Cards-Yankees
    '01 Dbacks-Yanks
    '86 Mets-Red Sox
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    '75 Reds-Red Sox of course. People forget the 3 days of rainouts in Boston leading up to game 6 adding to the drama.

others....

'91 Twins-Braves
    '64 Cards-Yankees
    '01 Dbacks-Yanks
    '86 Mets-Red Sox
    Good list, though 64 was before my time.

I remember also:

1969 - Amazing Mets. Series wasn't close. But it was a major upset. Baltimore was loaded that year (and all those years). They were the Mets and I was living in NY at the time.

2003. Marlins knock off the Yanks. I was already in S. Florida at the time. Party every game night.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

1972 - Reds/Athletics

Although the Reds lost it was a 7-game nail-biter from beginning to end. I especially remember the game-ending throw and tag by Morgan/Bench to end game 5. Wow!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    1972 - Reds/Athletics

Although the Reds lost it was a 7-game nail-biter from beginning to end. I especially remember the game-ending throw and tag by Morgan/Bench to end game 5. Wow!
    You're right. It was a good one. I had almost forgotten about that play. All I could think about was Tenace and Rudi.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

others....

'91 Twins-Braves
    '64 Cards-Yankees
    '01 Dbacks-Yanks
    '86 Mets-Red Sox
    64 was before my time but the others I agree with. The 2001 had to be one the best ever because of the sheer drama of everything. 9-11 had just happened about 6 weeks before. The WS was in NYC and two of the games at Yankee Stadium had dramatic home runs. Game 7 was just a classic in every sense. Randy Johnson pitching in relief with one day of rest and Mariano Rivera blowing the save in the 9th inning. There wasn't much more you could ask for in that series.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I wasn't there when it happened, but in hindsight '75 stands out. It had a little bit of everything and captures the collective imagination to this day.

Well, obviously the Reds appearances are high points. But for WS not including our beloved Reds, the Yankees - Dodgers series in 77-78 stand out. The 2001 WS (D'backs- Yankees) had a lot of incredible moments as well, not to mention it coming in the aftermath of 9/11.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Other than the ones involving the Reds, I think 2004 is my favorite. The Red Sox erase "The Curse", Schilling, Pedro, and Manny...and they beat the Cardinals.

The 1991 WS between the Braves and the Twins was a great one. They were 3 extra inning games including game 7 where Jack Morris threw the 10 inning shutout. There were 5 of the 7 games decided by one run.

The other really good ones I remember were 2001 between the Yankees and Diamondbacks and 1986 between the Red Sox and Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    The 1991 WS between the Braves and the Twins was a great one. They were 3 extra inning games including game 7 where Jack Morris threw the 10 inning shutout. There were 5 of the 7 games decided by one run.

Yea this one was a classic.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Yea this one was a classic.
    best one in the last 20 years IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    best one in the last 20 years IMO.
    Definitely.

Of those that I can remember, the 1975, 1991 and 2001 World Series stand out. 1964, 1971, 1972 (broke my heart as a Reds fan), 1979, 1986, 1997 and 2002 were also good Series. Among those I have read about the 1912, 1924, 1952, 1955 and 1960 World Series deserve special mention.
    I have given some thought as to what makes for a great World Series. As a Reds fan it would simply be one in which the Reds win. By that criteria, the five greatest World Series ever are those of 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976 and 1990. However, if less partisan criteria is to be used, I would propose the following:
    1. A truly great World Series goes seven games (or in the real old days 9). There have been memorable moments in shorter World Series of course, including Babe Ruth's "called shot" in 1932 and "The Catch" by Willie Mays in 1954, but a truly great World Series must go the distance.
    2. The games should be close. 1972 and 1975 both fulfilled that criteria, as six of seven games in 1972 and five of seven in 1975 were one run games, with 1975 also having a couple of extra inning affairs.
    3. There should be dramatic moments throughout the Series, preferably with a big finish.
    4. There should be plenty of Hall of Fame players. Obviously, no World Series has featured players who have already been inducted into the HOF, but the presence of well known players whom most fans have already mentally penciled into the HOF adds to the drama.
    It is in this area that the 1991 Series trails 1975 and 2001. The 1991 Series featured few players that the average fan knew much about, other than Kirby Puckett and Jack Morris, and neither of them was regarded at the time as being in the inner circle of great players. The Braves did have a couple of pitchers who should make Cooperstown in Tom Glavine and John Smoltz, but they were largely unknown in 1991.
    In contrast, the Yankees, with three straight World Series wins, were well known in 2001, and featured Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Roger Clemens. The Diamondbacks included Randy Johnson. Even a casual fan knew those guys.
    In 1975 the Reds included Pete Rose and Johnny Bench, while the Red Sox had Carl Yastremzski. Other than perhaps Reggie Jackson and Tom Seaver, those three guys may have been the biggest active stars in the game (okay Henry Aaron was playing out the string in Milwaukee). The 1975 Series also had baseball's then best player in Joe Morgan, future Hall of Famers Tony Perez, Carlton Fisk and Sparky Anderson, and such MVPs, Gold Glovers, All Stars and arguably worthy-of-the-Hall of Fame players as George Foster, Dave Concepcion, Luis Tiant, Fred Lynn and Dwight Evans, along with an injured future Hall of Famer on the Bosox bench in Jim Rice. The 1975 World Series had Star Power.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?