Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who would you pick as a career Red?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jay Bruce

32 64.00%
  • Drew Stubbs

3 6.00%
  • Aroldis Chapman

11 22.00%
  • Johnny Cueto

1 2.00%
  • Mike Leake

1 2.00%
  • Other (besides Votto)

2 4.00%

Thread: Who would you pick as a career long Red???

Who would you pick as a career long Red???

Completely hypothetical. Since the seasons come to an end I was just curious if you could pick one guy to spend the rest of his career in a Reds uniform, who would it be? Obviousley the majority of us would pick Votto so just for arguments sake lets take him out of the equation. Who would you pick and why.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Recovering Cubs Fan

Re: Who would you pick as a career long Red???

Honestly, I would've picked Bruce over Votto as well. His ceiling is just as high, and he is a plus defender at a difficult position to fill. Plus he seems like a better candidate for a team-friendly extension. There are no pitchers on this team right now that seem like sure thing TOR guys.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

I want them both to be career Reds. They are great friends and could be as awesome a 1-2 punch as anyone in the league...

Jay Bruce all the way, seems like a real stand up guy. I think we're looking at a perennial all-star w/ him.

Torn between Bruce and Stubbs... I went with Stubbs because a CF with his speed, defense, and especially his power doesnt come around too often (based of the hypothetical that he gets is OBP way up)
    "Santana's pitching? That makes my day. Halladay? Carpenter? Wainwright? Lincecum? I can't wait. When Strasburg got called up, I wanted to face him," he says. "I'm not embarrassed to say it, I want to beat the best in the world, that's what I prepare for."

-Joey Votto

Bruce for sure. He'll have a better season when he's 26, than Votto had this year.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I just hope Stubbs and Bruce pick up next season where they left off this season. If they do, it's going to be a wild ride.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Chapman - since he could become Randy Johnson-like

Wow, great poll and a tough one to pick. I'm torn between Bruce, Chapman and Stubbs. Each could very likely be a future all-star. I hope all three get to that level, but if I had to choose one ... hmmm ... I'd say Jay Bruce.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

I'm torn between Bruce and Chapman. Bruce is already a weapon just because of his defense, and I think is on the cusp of becoming a top notch bat, but if you could garantee me that Chapman will live up to his potential I'd take him without even a though. Having a Randy Johnson guy at the top of your rotation for 10 years is invaluable. But will he become that guy....
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by 1990REDS View Post
    Completely hypothetical. Since the seasons come to an end I was just curious if you could pick one guy to spend the rest of his career in a Reds uniform, who would it be? Obviousley the majority of us would pick Votto so just for arguments sake lets take him out of the equation. Who would you pick and why.
    I guess since you took Votto out I would say Bruce, simply cause I dont trust pitchers staying power to make me say career length. I know postion players can get hurt, slump, lose it too, but pitchers seem more likely to burn out or injure and not recover more. That said, I think Leake is ogign to be special and be one of those guys who can have a long, great Maddux like career.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I voted for The Missile because the Reds haven't had a career Red that is a TOR guy since Mario Soto. I would love to watch this guy throw heat for the next 5-10 years or more, and maybe bring the Cy Young to Cincy for the first time ever.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I could vote for any of these, and maybe throw Wood in as well. But, I voted Chapman, because that would mean we had a Cy Young-type Ace.

I think Bruce

#5-4
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Turn Off Ads?