Turn Off Ads?

Thread: This Date In Reds History (10/20/10): Past Lineups--1990 World Series

This Date In Reds History (10/20/10): Past Lineups--1990 World Series

20 years ago (1990), a 2-1 win in Game 4 of the World Series at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum.

Cincinnati
    Barry Larkin ss
    Billy Hatcher cf
    Paul O'Neill rf
    Eric Davis lf
    Hal Morris dh
    Chris Sabo 3b
    Todd Benzinger 1b
    Joe Oliver c
    Mariano Duncan 2b

Jose Rijo p

Oakland
    Rickey Henderson lf
    Willie McGee rf
    Dave Henderson cf
    Harold Baines dh
    Carney Lansford 3b
    Jamie Quirk c
    Mark McGwire 1b
    Willie Randolph 2b
    Mike Gallego ss

Dave Stewart p

WP: Jose Rijo (2-0)
    LP: Dave Stewart (0-2)
    Sv: Randy Myers (1)
    HR: None.

"Benzinger backing and calling…and the 1990 World Championship belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!" With those words by Marty Brennaman, the Reds completed a 4-0 sweep in the best-of-seven Series and clinched their fifth World Championship, and their first since 1976. Jose Rijo and Randy Myers combined on a two-hitter for the Reds, allowing only a one-out double by Willie McGee in the first inning, and a two-out RBI single by Carney Lansford in the first. Reds LF Eric Davis suffered a lacerated kidney on the double by McGee, but finished the inning before being lifted for pinch-hitter Glenn Braggs in the second inning. Billy Hatcher was hit by a pitch in the first inning and was replaced in CF by Herm Winningham in the second. Hatcher finished the Series with the following line:

.750/.800/1.250/2.050
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This Date In Reds History (10/20/10): Past Lineups--1990 World Series

It was a good thing the Reds finished off the A's that night. With all the injuries the Reds had they may have been hard pressed to win another game. This had to be one the most improbable World Series sweep in history. I really didn't believe the Reds could win the series until their victory in game 3. It was really remarkable how they seized the momentum from game 1 and took it from there. I can remember talking to a cousin of mine,who is a big Reds fan,saying we had better enjoy this one because it may be a long time before we see another World Series champion from Cincinnati. How right he was. It's been 20 years and counting. I hope to see one more World Series champion Reds team before I die.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?