Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: If the Reds could fill only one need in the offseason, which would you choose?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Quality power and batting average hitter to bat behind Votto, most likely a full time left fielder

30 56.60%
  • A quality leadoff hitter

11 20.75%
  • A #1 ace Starting Pitcher

12 22.64%
  • Other........

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If the Reds could fill only one need in the offseason, which would you choose?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If the Reds could fill only one need in the offseason, which would you choose?

See the poll.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident Hustleman

Re: If the Reds could fill only one need in the offseason, which would you choose?

1. ace
    2. leadoff hitter
    3. quality ba/power in probable form of LF

Re: If the Reds could fill only one need in the offseason, which would you choose?

We need all three of those areas, but I think it's possible we already have our future leadoff hitter (Stubbs), and I think our pitching staff is going to fall into place. We may not have a Roy Halladay type, or a Cliff Lee, but 29 other teams don't either. And I can't see the Reds' management going out and purchasing one, or trading for one.

So that leaves the LF spot, preferrably a combination of good defense and a strong bat to give Joey some much needed protection in the lineup. This gets my vote.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

What I found interesting is that all 20 votes went toward the first 3 choices. Nobody picked "other" which means that these 3 items ARE the Reds primary needs in the eyes of the fans. Well, atleast the 20 that have voted.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

I voted lead-off. As another post outlined, getting a #1 Ace is far beyond the Reds reach, and there is enough quality pitching in the system to honestly expect 3-4 of them to be 15 game winners, which I see as infinitely better than one ace and 3 so-so. The bat to guard Votto should come from within. The Bruce we hoped for might well have emerged the last month+ of the season. And if Mesoraco is for real, then there you go. Not to mention, Frazier, Sappelt, Grandal, etc.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

If Stubbs is gonna be the CF (safe to assume), then the LF needs to be a LH hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    What I found interesting is that all 20 votes went toward the first 3 choices. Nobody picked "other" which means that these 3 items ARE the Reds primary needs in the eyes of the fans. Well, atleast the 20 that have voted.
    Ya that seems about right. This season we had a backup player playing full time in left. A limited range SS who hit way to high in the order, and our NLDS game 1 starter was a year removed from tommy john and had made his return about 3 months before the playoffs. And we still made the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    If Stubbs is gonna be the CF (safe to assume), then the LF needs to be a LH hitter.
    Please explain this rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I would say the exact opposite. If Stubbs is your leadoff guy, then I'm looking for a RH power bat for the middle of the order. I'm not as focused as having a balanced lineup as most, but if I had to choose I wouldn't want my 3 middle of the lineup guys all left handed.

Maybe in a year or two you can find a 3B to fit that bill, but not right now.
    Sto Pro Veritate

I keep wondering if the Reds pull off some kind of trade with the Mets to take on Beltran. It would have to involve $$$ to help us pay his contract, and we'd have to send one (or two) of our higher paid players in return.

Mets are disgruntled with Beltran. He's coming back from injury, and will be in the last year of his contract, making approximately $20M. He's a switch hitter who turns 34 in April. He will be in a contract year (headed to free agency) which usually, but not always, encourages a player to produce better. Has played sparingly the last 2 seasons, but played 161 games in 2008 putting up 27 HR's, 112 RBI, 25 SB, 92 Walks, 40 Doubles, .284 batting average, .376 OBP, .500 SLG, and scoring 116 runs. If he could come anywhere near that, he'd be the guy we'd wanting batting behind Joey.

If you could convince the Mets to do a salary swap of players each team is disgruntled with, namely Cordero ($12M) and send them Alonso ($1M) too, and exchange some cash from them to even it out...........they've already suspended K-Rod and need a closer anyway. Cordero is in the last year of his contract too. Plus, they get a future first baseman in the deal.

I don't want to trade Alonso just to dump Cordero. Cordero will be gone in a year anyway, I want to move Alonso for someone with more of a long term upside.

Plus I don't think K-Rod will stay suspended. I can't see them taking on another closer until he's moved.
    Sto Pro Veritate

I think the Mets are pretty happy with Ike Davis as their young first baseman. I don't see them having any interest in Alonzo.

I am shocked at the high number of people who selected pitching? Really? Wasn't the end of the season and playoffs a clear enough example that what this team is lacking is a complimentary bat to Votto/Bruce and a reliable LF over pitching? I mean really?

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Please explain this rationale.
    I dont know, but am thnking he meant to say needs ot be a leadoff hitter, not a LH hitter?
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    We need all three of those areas, but I think it's possible we already have our future leadoff hitter (Stubbs), and I think our pitching staff is going to fall into place. We may not have a Roy Halladay type, or a Cliff Lee, but 29 other teams don't either. And I can't see the Reds' management going out and purchasing one, or trading for one.

So that leaves the LF spot, preferrably a combination of good defense and a strong bat to give Joey some much needed protection in the lineup. This gets my vote.
    I think that Stubbs might be able to OBP about .340 on a regular basis if he reaches his full potential, but I don't think he'll ever be the OBP monster that you want at the top of the order. I actually like Stubbs hitting 2nd better than at lead off. His K's don't hurt too badly there, and his power is a bit more useful with someone hitting in front of him. His speed is still quite useful, and his ability to avoid DPs in front of Votto is definitely a good thing.

Turn Off Ads?