Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you root for Josh Hamilton?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Do you root for Josh Hamilton?

Or do you kind of root against him so the Volquez trade doesn't look too bad?

I'm always torn. Loved Hammy when he was a Red and part of me is glad to see him absolutely tearing it up with the Rangers. AL batting champ ... basically the Joey Votto of Texas' lineup. (And I have dreams of how potent the Reds would be with both Hamilton and Votto in the same lineup.)

But I also want to look back on "the trade" and believe that it was a "win-win" for both teams. That's how I felt in 2008, but right now, the trade is clearly in the Rangers' favor. Then again, who knows how good Volquez will be the next few years.

Anyway, do you root for JH?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you root for Josh Hamilton?

I absolutely root for him even though I still think the Reds needed pitching more than hitting. I usually root for former Reds who have done well with the Reds. Josh did well when he was here, he didn't cause any trouble so I'll root for him.

If Josh and Joey win their respective league's MVPs, we'll have a former and current Red as the MVPs at the same time.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I root for him and I'd still make the trade. We needed Volquez, we didn't need Hamilton at the time. Sure he is MVP worthy now, but Volquez has the stuff to be in Cy Young convos if he gets it together. If he doesn't, thats ok too.

Good luck to Josh the man and the player.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I root for him and I'd still make the trade. We needed Volquez, we didn't need Hamilton at the time. Sure he is MVP worthy now, but Volquez has the stuff to be in Cy Young convos if he gets it together. If he doesn't, thats ok too.

Good luck to Josh the man and the player.
    That's exactly how I feel.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I like the logic behind the trade. The Reds had, as an organization, been horrible at developing pitching over the last 15-20 years. At the same time, the organization seemed to be constantly pushing a new stud bat through to the majors. The team had a surplus of outfielders. Hamilton was/is an addict (1 failed test away from being gone for good), had shown some health problems in his limited time here (possibly the lingering after-effects of years of neglect and abuse to his body), and wasn't mixing well with some elements in the clubhouse.

Trade made sense at the time. No fault in grabbing for a deal that makes sense.

Having said that, if I had a time machine, I'd go back and smack Krivsky around for considering the deal. Since the deal has been made, Hamilton has become one of the best offensive players in baseball while Volquez has gone under the knife and shown 0 ability to command his stuff. And, in the interim, the Reds have put together a fantastic stable of young pitching to the point where they could lose Volquez tomorrow and no one would notice.

Reds lost this trade, badly.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I root like hell for him. Most people who went through what he has would be dead right now. Pulling even harder for him outside of baseball than between the lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    (1 failed test away from being gone for good)
    Wow, that's interesting. Are you sure that is accurate? So, if he is busted for coke or something, he's done in MLB for good? How did Steve Howe, Darryl Strawberry and many others have multiple chances? These aren't PEDs we're talking about. Then again, maybe the rules have changed since then and I just missed it. But I didn't realize Hamilton was one failed drug test (for recreational drugs) away from being banned from baseball for life. That doesn't seem to add up to me. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Does anyone else see the irony in the fact that at the time of the trade Hamilton was the one known for drug abuse. However, who has been suspended by MLB for taking PEDs since then? Volquez.

I will always root for Josh wherever he goes. His life is one of the all time great comeback stories. By the way I still agree with the trade. The Reds needed pitching and made a big move to get a top starter. I have no problem with making a move like that to try to improve the team.

Easy to cheer for.....unbelievable story, unbelievable talent. He's the ultimate 5 tool player.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Of course. He seems like a truly good guy and I know what hell he has been through.

He is easily my favorite player that isn't a Red.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Heck yes. I don't know why we traded him. He was a once-in-a-lifetime player who showed signs of putting it all together with the Reds, who were a bottom tier team at the time. I wish they'd traded a multiple of their players for Volquez, rather than Hamilton. In fact, they could have parted with Phillips that year who hit 30 hr, and gotten the deal done. But, it's easy to look back. I was worried about the drug use/injury factor too.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Reds lost this trade, badly.
    To me, this statement is premature.

A final judgement on the trade can hardly be made this soon. Give things some time to shake out a little bit more. Hamilton continues to be very injury prone and his longterm future is very shaky for that reason.

My daughter probably has watched one regular season game -- Reds vs Indians when Aaron Laffey (a local boy from here in Maryland) pitched for the Tribe against Leake (I believe).

But now in post-season, she has become a Rangers' fan, because of Hamilton.

It comes close to bringing tears (of joy) to my eyes every time I see Josh smack a line drive somewhere. He was easily my favorite Red.

His comeback story, although much more dramatic, is something like Ankiel's.
    It was difficult for me to root against Rick (even as a Cardinal), considering his persistent work at trying to convert from pitcher to position player to get back to the Majors.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

And, to answer the question, yes -- I root for Josh Hamilton wherever he goes.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Turn Off Ads?