Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Event, New NBC TV Show

The Event, New NBC TV Show

I just watched this, and came away annoyed and confused. I will give it a couple more weeks, but I was not impressed with the pilot. After doing some research on the internet, it appears, that in order to understand this show, you will have to be following twitter, and interactive "homework" to fully understand the show. I see this one being canceled quickly.

Did I mention there was almost no plot at all?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Event, New NBC TV Show

Sounds like they're trying to capitalize on the success of Lost, while at the same time incorporating social media. It's an interesting idea, but to pull it off they'll have to be nearly flawless in its execution.

I don't watch a lot of network TV, and I won't see this one either. It will be interesting to see how it does.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I've got it recorded but haven't watched it yet. Now I'm not so sure I will.

I heard about the "Lost" reference in the promos, and my reaction was "Sure, it's easy to bring up 'Lost", but how valid will the comparison be?"

I think I'll let it lie until I get more feedback. Time's too valuable to waste on a dead-end TV show.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Jumping ship after one episode, there should always be at least character you like on a show, at the end I felt that all of them deserved alien subjugation.
    Go Gators!

I didn't watch, but I was annoyed with the over-marketing a month before the show even started. My personal favorite--"If Lost and 24 had a baby, it would be THE EVENT."

Yeah, I wasted an hour last night. Overwriting and gimmickry. I don't think I'll do so again.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Utterly chaotic. Totally lacking a plot, relying on gimicks. No character that you could identify with or root for. Blair Underwood should fire his agent for involving him in this drivel.

I turned it off after 45 minutes and was mad at myself for having let it go on that long. Won't make that mistake twice.

Rem

I have it recorded, but am waiting. Only reason I recorded it is because on Sunday night Chris Collinsworth described it as a show that could replace 24. I was skeptical but intrigued, now I'm just skeptical.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Utterly chaotic. Totally lacking a plot, relying on gimicks. No character that you could identify with or root for. Blair Underwood should fire his agent for involving him in this drivel.

I turned it off after 45 minutes and was mad at myself for having let it go on that long. Won't make that mistake twice.

Rem
    It reminds me of that show on ABC last year "Flashforward", I remember saying I didn't care if every character got hit by a run away bus, because I had no empathy for any of them.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I'll say it before Jay Leno does.

"Getting cancelled IS the EVENT"
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    It reminds me of that show on ABC last year "Flashforward", I remember saying I didn't care if every character got hit by a run away bus, because I had no empathy for any of them.
    I felt the same way. They were all really annoying, weren't they?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I felt the same way. They were all really annoying, weren't they?
    Yep, I just finished tonight's Sons of Anarchy. That is how characters are developed. Characters allow the audience to develop an emotional tie to the story. Force feeding the story, at the expense of the plot and character development leads to ambivalence.

And the show these mishmashes aspire to be was all about character development, as the producers showed in the end. Lost didn't just become a classic show; it's characters became icons. When you talk about the show you talk about Jack, Locke, Hurley, Sawyer, Ben, Sayid, Desmond, etc. I'm surprised the people developing shows don't see that.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

OK, I am on the Thumbs up side, I really enjoyed this. I thought the plot was excellent, and it gave suspense and kept me thinking the entire time. I can not wait till next week, this is going to be a really good show.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

I'm going to give it another shot although I'm not crazy about shows that go back and forth in time. It made sense for the opening show.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Turn Off Ads?