View Poll Results: Would You Make Chapman The Closer

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he would be lights out pitching in the ninth

11 12.09%
  • No, he is better suited to be a starting pitcher

80 87.91%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would You Make Chapman The Closer?

Would You Make Chapman The Closer?

Something to chew on here. Given the depth of the starting rotation, would you make Chapman the closer in 2009 and try to trade Cordero to free up payroll and move someone who is on the decline?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would You Make Chapman The Closer?

Chapman is much more valuable as a starter. I'd make him have to run through lineups more than once even if that meant he'd be back in Louisville next season.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I answered no because I prefer him as a starter. He could undoubtedly be an elite closer if given the chance, but I think he will be the TOR hammer that we've been seeking. If you can combine that with Cueto and Volquez on top of their game, you have a formidable top three.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Even as a reliever, I'd rather have him available for high leverage situations in the 7th and 8th than protecting 2 & 3 run leads in the 9th.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

When did we invent time travel?!

But for now, there is no reason at all to not stick Chapman back in the rotation until he shows you without question that he can't handle being a starter.

I voted no because top of the rotation pitching is difficult to find and develop. It seems like there are a lot more quality closers in baseball than top of the rotation starters. His potential is higher as a starter and you can always go to the closer role later if he doesn't work out as a starter. It would be much more difficult for him to develop back into a starter if he was a closer for a couple of years.

Starter, he can always go back to relief if it doesn't work for whatever reason.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Bailey
    Wood
    Leake

If Chapman is in the rotation, which two guys aren't? Personally I'd give Volquez a run in the bullpen and probably have Leake in AAA or on the trading block.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Bailey
    Wood
    Leake

If Chapman is in the rotation, which two guys aren't? Personally I'd give Volquez a run in the bullpen and probably have Leake in AAA or on the trading block.
    I'd be looking to deal Volquez, Bailey, Wood or Leake. Whoever gets me the most in return goes.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    When did we invent time travel?!
    November 5, 1955.

Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

No. I would keep him as a starter where he has the most value.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Here is an issue: Just how many innings would the team hope to get out of Chapman in 2011 as a starter? He pitched 109 innings this year. If the team increases that by ~30 IP in 2011 he'll be toast by mid August.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Here is an issue: Just how many innings would the team hope to get out of Chapman in 2011 as a starter? He pitched 109 innings this year. If the team increases that by ~30 IP in 2011 he'll be toast by mid August.
    Well,he threw 125 innings in Cuba. So you should be safe getting him 155 innings. You still need to control his innings at that pace though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well,he threw 125 innings in Cuba. So you should be safe getting him 155 innings. You still need to control his innings at that pace though.
    so if the team wanted him to start how would they approach things? 32 starts x 5 innings a start is 160 innings. And thats with him going only 5 innings a start. Would you skip him in the rotation every few weeks? Shut him down when he reached a certain limit? Move him to the pen at a certain point?

IMO the team rode Leake into the wall this year. Walt/Dusty/Price did not do a good job of protecting his arm. The Philly debacle was pretty bad when Dusty tried to get him a complete game. They never skipped him in the rotation. They sent him out there every time the #5 spot came up until they realized his arm was 'tired'. After a brief move to the pen he was shut dopwn for the year. I'm a bit afraid that Leake 2010 could turn into Chapman 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Even as a reliever, I'd rather have him available for high leverage situations in the 7th and 8th than protecting 2 & 3 run leads in the 9th.
    Or use him as a closer, the way closer's were used until the mid 90's.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?