Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading Cliff Lee cost the Phillies the World Series

Trading Cliff Lee cost the Phillies the World Series

If I were a Phillies fan I would be sick looking at the World Series and seeing Cliff Lee in it and not me. I know the Phillies offense went silent this series, but I still think they would have would this series had they had Cliff Lee. The aging Roy Oswalt is just not the same as having Lee in there.

I must say though, I was at the playoff game in Cincinnati and I was glad to see the Phillies fans get the same feeling I got a couple of weeks ago with the other team celebrating victory on their home field. Its nice to see someone different in the World Series and I must say I really like this Giants team. They got cool character and frikin Brian Wilson is the man at closer. They are just as young as us and didn't get rattled by the Phillies like we did. They showed much better composure at the plate and on the mound. Maybe we can take some tips from them next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trading Cliff Lee cost the Phillies the World Series

Have to disagree with you. Had the Phillies kept Lee, then they don't go out and get Halladay. Some would say they could have kept both, but I don't think so.

Regardless of their rotation, their bats cost them.

Many have used this argument with the Reds. "it doesn't matter if Volquez was the right or wrong decision, the Reds still didn't score in Game 1" et al...

they could have had Lee and Halliday both this season.. I'm saying keep Halliday and Lee

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    they could have had Lee and Halliday both this season.. I'm saying keep Halliday and Lee
    I guess my understanding of the whole Halladay / Lee double trade was that the Phillies were only capable of having one (for whatever reason, financial, probably), and so they chose Halladay because he was willing to extend his contract. I never thought keeping both was possible, but, I very well could be dead wrong

They traded Lee after they got Halladay. They could have kept Lee for just this season. Instead they decided to trade him to Seattle for prospects because they knew next year they couldn't afford both.

They could have had Lee & Halladay. They didn't need to sign Blanton and give such a crazy contract to Howard. After these playoffs that Howard contract looks very ugly. Possibly the worst playoff performance by an "all-star" that I can remember.

The Phillies could not afford both Lee and Halladay. Their budget went from $113M in 2009 to $138M in 2010. That's a 20%, $25M jump. There is no way they could afford another $15M on top of that. I would imagine that the $138M payroll has them losing money this year, and is paid for by profits from years past.

They chose Halladay over Lee, because Lee didn't want to sign long term with them. He turned down all their offers, so they moved to Halladay. Lee might technically been traded after Halladay was acquired, but that was all part of the same plan.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightro28 View Post
    Have to disagree with you. Had the Phillies kept Lee, then they don't go out and get Halladay. Some would say they could have kept both, but I don't think so.
    If they could trade for Oswalt, they could have kept both

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Phillies could not afford both Lee and Halladay.

Oswalt
    10:$15M, 11:$16M, 12:$16M club option ($2M buyout)

Lee was 8 Mill for 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Oswalt
    10:$15M, 11:$16M, 12:$16M club option ($2M buyout)

Lee was 8 Mill for 2010
    You're right about Lee. But the Astros sent $11M to the Phillies to cover all of what Oswalt had left on 2010 and part of 2011.

Plus, the Phillies did win the division without Lee, and if the kept Lee, the don't get Oswalt, who went 7-1 with a 1.74 ERA with the Phils and was the team's best pitcher against SF in the playoffs.

I don't see how it makes a difference. Lee is not replacing Halladay, and his collapse in game 1 was the main reason they lost the series. Basically, it's either Halladay, Lee, Hamels, or Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels. I just don't see the difference.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

IMO, they choose Halladay & Blanton over a Halladay & Lee combo. Terrible decision as Blanton couldn't hold Lee's Jockey strap.

And by the way, the Phillies already have $148M committed for next season, and that is without Jayson Werth. They are already talking about trading some dead weight, like Ibanez, Lidge and Blanton.

Resident Hustleman

Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    They could have had Lee & Halladay. They didn't need to sign Blanton and give such a crazy contract to Howard. After these playoffs that Howard contract looks very ugly. Possibly the worst playoff performance by an "all-star" that I can remember.
    that howard contract looked ugly from the day he signed it

Quote Originally Posted by Hustleman View Post
    that howard contract looked ugly from the day he signed it
    Lol, true.

The bats cost the Phills the Series.Someone forgot to call Ryan Howard and tell him the playoff's had started.

Turn Off Ads?