Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teams you would sacrifice championships for.

Teams you would sacrifice championships for.

I really didn't know how to title this thread because what I am asking is kind of hard to explain. Does anyone have a passion for a professional or college team in which they would trade in future championships of a team that you like if that means the team you are crazy for wins one or two in the process? For example, is there a team that you root for in which you would trade in future Reds championships if that means the team you are fanatic about wins a championship.

For me, I would sacrifice 2 future St. Louis Cardinals World Championships if that means my St. Louis Blues would win Lord Stanley's Cup. The St. Louis Blues are one of the oldest teams in the NHL with its first season being in 1967. The first three years of our existence, we made it to the Stanley Cup Finals with Scotty Bowman coaching the Blues. We didn't win the cup in those three years and after he left, the Blues haven't been back to the Stanley Cup since. That is even on the 1995-96 team that had Wayne Gretzky, Brett Hull, Al McInnis, Chris Pronger, and Grant Fuhr (5 current and future HOFers). This is locally known as the Curse of Scotty Bowman. The Blues set a North American record for the only professional sports team to make it 25 straight years to the playoffs yet not win a title. Not a record to be proud of but it is what it is.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Cardinals but I have a passion for hockey. I would love for the Blues to some day lift and drink from Lord Stanley's Cup. Until then, they will always remain the Cubs of hockey.

I don't know if my question made any sense. Its late.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 01-19-2011 at 01:35 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Teams you would sacrifice championships for.

I get what you are saying. The Bengals are my only team that hasn't won it all in my conscious lifetime. I am a rather fortunate fan I suppose, I am a Reds fan ('90), a Bulls fan (the Jordan Years) and a Buckeyes fan (2002). So I have witnessed all these teams reach the pinnacle of their sport. Like the Buckeyes basketball team as well but I have to admit I am more a semi-casual fan of college basketball in general. March is more about fun than fandom for me. Err on 2nd thought more 60/40 fandom, I still like to see the Buckeyes win.

But would I trade in a Reds championship for a Bengals one? No, I love my Reds too much. Maybe the Buckeyes I would consider it, could go either way. But definitely would trade in a Bulls for a Bengals I've seen 6 and the Bulls aren't as dear to me as the Bengals (being my only non Ohio team).

But we agree on one thing we would both trade in a future St. Louis Cards championship!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I would trade in as many Bengals championships as needed to secure a World Series for the Reds, a National Championship for Xavier basketball or a BCS title for Marshall Football. Though I think I'd probably have to actually sacrifice the Bengals for that last one!

I would trade a bengals SB for a reds WS or a Bearcats basketball championship. Or a bearcats football championship.

I would trade all of Univ of Kentucky's past and future NCAA championships for some Reds' WS, Colts Super Bowls and IU basketball championships....check that an IU Big Ten Title.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

The Cardinals have won 10 WS so I guess I'm a bit spoiled that I can give away championships, lol. However, I would trade in the 2006 Cardinals World Series Championship to go back in time and somehow stop the Patriots from cheating their way into beating the Rams in 2001. It was sad to see one of the most dominating teams in NFL history go down to a team that we found out later cheated.

By the way, the Rams from 99-01 was the most exciting football team I have ever seen. It was like I was watching Madden Football in real life.

There's almost nothing I wouldn't sacrifice to see the Brown family sell the Bengals.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'd sacrifice a championship from any of the pro teams I follow to see IU win the Rose Bowl.

They don't even have to win the National Championship. Just win the Rose Bowl and I'd be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I'd sacrafice a Bengals championship for a High School state basketball championship. Very small school, a few close but no cigar chances.

The Bengals would just go 4-12 the next season anyhow.

GL

As far as pro teams go I would sacrifice championships by other teams in other sports for World Series championships for the Reds. I'd give up ten Super Bowls wins for ten World Series wins.
    However, I'd give up World Championships for the Reds if in return my 18 year old son's senior high school baseball team at Wayne High (WV) could win the state championship this season, and I would give up some championships in other sports for other teams if his junior year high school football team could have won its Class AA state championship game.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    There's almost nothing I wouldn't sacrifice to see the Brown family sell the Bengals.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I have seen a Buckeye Championship more recent and suffered through 3 devastating title losses (2 football, 1 basketball).

I have seen a Red World Series but I was in second grade and don't really remember much of the season.

I saw one Bengals Super Bowl loss but again was too young to remember much from that season.

I love the NFL commercials that show fans watching the Gaints Pats Super Bowl game and seeing them react when Tyree makes the catch. The sheer joy accompanies that big game can be topped by nothing else. When OSU won their BCS title game against Miami there were people in my living room praying and crying during the overtime. When game ended we all ended up on the floor in celebration.

The think a Reds championship would be the most fun, but also the longest and nail biting. It would take 11 playoff victories, all to be savored. But I think I would go with either a Buckeye BCS title or a Bengals Super Bowl. I really don't care who the owner is or what the owner does. They are my team and I want to see them win.

I think I would sacrifice a Reds World Series or a Redskins Super Bowl to have a national championship in basketball for my alma mater, James Madison, because it's so beyond unlikely that it would be a huge national story. Plus we would forever have bragging rights over conference mates George Mason.

Of course, we first have to make it to the NCAA tournament...for the first time since 1994.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I would trade all of Univ of Kentucky's past and future NCAA championships for some Reds' WS, Colts Super Bowls and IU basketball championships....check that an IU Big Ten Title.
    I'm down with that. It would be tough but I think I could make that sacrifice.

I would sacrifice all of the Cardinals WS rings for the Reds to win another

Turn Off Ads?