Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. II

Re: Bengals 2010 pt. II

Think about how insane you have to be as an Owner of a professional franchise when you won't let your head coach hire his own coaching staff.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree but doesn't that point directly to coaching?
    mostly but personnel can't be a big part of the toughness issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Think about how insane you have to be as an Owner of a professional franchise when you won't let your head coach hire his own coaching staff.
    Dan Snyder just read this and said, "What's so bad about that?"
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I do think Katie does not intend to serve as GM. Hopefully she'll hire a real one and not her brother or something...
    I just don't see this happening. Folks act like if Mike Brown would step away things would be rosy. My guess is Katie Blackburn would be the next GM and run the franchise using the same model her dad has. If Katie decides she doesn't want to be the GM, it will be her hubby or brother or another member of the Brown/Blackburn gang...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Some moves made today:
    CB Pacman was placed on IR with a neck injury
    TE Coats was cut and TE J.P. Foschi was signed

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Some moves made today:
    CB Pacman was placed on IR with a neck injury
    TE Coats was cut and TE J.P. Foschi was signed
    The Pacman move is a bummer. We'll miss him. Let's hope JJ is back this week. CB just got really thin

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    TE Coats was cut...
    How do they plan to replace his pass-catching ability?

<kidding>

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

At least there is a team that is arguably more disappointing than us, and that is the Dallas Cowboys.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    At least there is a team that is arguably more disappointing than us, and that is the Dallas Cowboys.
    I would say the Chargers as well. Maybe even the 49ers, they were basically handed that division title before the season started.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I've been a huge fan of the team for 35 years (as my basement Bengals museum will attest), but I'm almost to the point of wishing they'd just move the team to LA or somewhere and save me from myself.
    I think this sometimes too, but I don't know what I'd do with myself. I love the NFL, but I love it with the frame of having a favorite team and I don't know who I'd watch or if I'd be able to care about anyone else. Couldn't be Pittsburgh, Cleveland would be pointless because they are generally even worse ... maybe Indy, it's not that much farther distance wise than Cincinnati for me, but it's weird to think about.

I really could see Brown moving the team, especially if he gets out of the lease early. What on earth would Cincinnati do with a huge NFL stadium, no team, and little likelihood of getting a new team?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Would anybody go for Firing Marvin and bring in John Grueden? It's time for Marvin to go.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    Would anybody go for Firing Marvin and bring in John Grueden? It's time for Marvin to go.
    I've heard this over and over. It's a nice thought but also a pipe dream. There is no way, no how Gruden will come here without being given total control. And there is also no way, no how Mike Brown will give it to him.

I don't think Gruden is a good fit for this team but I'd take my chances with just about anyone. My guess is we're looking at Brian Billick as our next coach

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I think this sometimes too, but I don't know what I'd do with myself. I love the NFL, but I love it with the frame of having a favorite team and I don't know who I'd watch or if I'd be able to care about anyone else. Couldn't be Pittsburgh, Cleveland would be pointless because they are generally even worse ... maybe Indy, it's not that much farther distance wise than Cincinnati for me, but it's weird to think about.

I really could see Brown moving the team, especially if he gets out of the lease early. What on earth would Cincinnati do with a huge NFL stadium, no team, and little likelihood of getting a new team?
    I know. I was living not-too-far from Nashville in 1999, and with a new stadium and a new team in town, I tried my best to forsake the Bengals and become a Titans fan. I was even in attendance at the first game at the Titans stadium, where the opponent just happened to be the Bengals. (That was not intentional on my part, by the way.)

I spent the first three quarters rooting for the home team, but when the game remained close into the fourth quarter and I found myself nervous on behalf of the Bengals, I realized it wasn't going to be all that easy to just flick a switch. The Bengals lost that game 36-35 en route to a 4-12 season, while the Titans came one outstretched arm away from winning a Super Bowl that season. I was a Titans fan, of sorts, that entire season, and even got nervous during their games, but it wasn't the same. I still like the Titans okay, but don't really have any emotional investment in them.

And as I was typing this, I realized that the 1999 season was all too much like so many Bengals seasons before and since it. On Opening Day 1999, the Bengals were every bit as good a team as the Titans. They went into Nashville on an historic day and nearly won the game. But from there, they spiraled straight down while the Titans were almost the best team in the league. It very well may have been another Bengals team that wasted its talent and potential. Sound familiar?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Just get to 4-4. If the Bengals can do this they have a puncher's chance.

Turn Off Ads?