Turn Off Ads?
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. II

Re: Bengals 2010 pt. II

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I just view it as the Bengals get by with far less staff than most other NFL teams. They are pretty much a single-threaded application. They process things in a serial fashion. So first they were consumed by Marvin's rehiring and then the Senior Bowl. It wasn't till after that did they have the bandwidth to look into a new OC.

Most teams have staffs dedicated to different functions of running an NFL team. But Mike Brown still runs the team like his dad ran the '50's-era Browns. Each staff person wears many hats.
    Oh, I think Mike Brown's way of doing things is at the heart of this indeed. His way makes it more difficult to win. In this case his penchant for "processing things in a serial fashion" has led to a far more diluted pool of OC candidates

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    We agree that the move was ultimately made by a combination of on-field performance and large number of non-renewing season ticket holders (myself being one of them). However, to your last point, I agree with you that the grass isn't always greener, and his replacement could be just as bad or even worse, but you'll never convince me that Bratkowski was part of the solution or that this move wasn't long overdue.
    Agreed. Mikey is in the "buck stops here" position in the org., but I don't see any use piling on and looking for a conspiracy and mismanagement on all news coming out of Bengaldom.

That isn't directed at you, btw. Your responses to my thoughts on this matter have shown you're willing to be fair.

As far his replacement, I'd imagine someone will be hired when it is critical for him to be a part of the offseason processes. I'm sure there is a key dates calendar going somewhere within the org. while folks are wringing their hands. If not, then there's one for that side.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Jay Gruden is rumored to be the Bengals new OC:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-cincinnati/

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Jay Gruden is rumored to be the Bengals new OC:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-cincinnati/
    Gruden fits the player-acquisition profile that the Bengals have used in recent years. He was arrested for DUI in 2005.
    glass houses...so many perfect people in the media, the salt of the earth

There is a legal system to deal with that, I wonder if he has a good offensive mind? Oh, wait, the blurb didn't even touch on that subject, just time to take a few potshots.
    Last edited by traderumor; 02-02-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    glass houses...so many perfect people in the media, the salt of the earth

There is a legal system to deal with that, I wonder if he has a good offensive mind? Oh, wait, the blurb didn't even touch on that subject, just time to take a few potshots.
    I think it's unprofessional and a lowblow to take such a shot at Gruden, but let's be honest, it's not as if the Bengals haven't opened themselves up to this kind of talk.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I think it's unprofessional and a lowblow to take such a shot at Gruden, but let's be honest, it's not as if the Bengals haven't opened themselves up to this kind of talk.
    Sure, but the first part is my expectation--be professional and take the high road. If you have nothing to write but sarcastic witticisms, then you have nothing to write.

The only way the Bengals have opened themselves up to this kind of talk is because the Bengals' arrested players haven't won as much as other teams' arrested players.

Code:
    Bengals	      Last 5	Last 3 
    Arrests	           20	6
    Still on team	5	3

Steelers       Last 5     Last 3
    Arrests         13             6
    Still on Team  2	         2
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Sure, but the first part is my expectation--be professional and take the high road. If you have nothing to write but sarcastic witticisms, then you have nothing to write.
    Completely agreed. Unfortunately, that isn't how the media operates nowadays.

I like the hiring. I know next to nothing about Jay Gruden, but I think this has a real shot to work.

I like the hiring. I know next to nothing about Jay Gruden, but I think this has a real shot to work.

After having a couple days to think about the hire, I really like it. The more I hear about Jay, the more I like him. He seems to have the enthusiasm and vision that this team needed. The most suprising think is that the Bengals got a little creative with this hire. They really needed to make a good hire, hopefully they did. More than that, hopefully Jay doesn't get "Bengalized."

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    The most suprising think is that the Bengals got a little creative with this hire.
    From an outsider's (Redskins fan) view, that's what I thought too. It strikes me as the sort of innovative move you don't normally associate with the Bengals. I hope it works out because anything that makes the Steelers' lives more difficult on the field is OK in my book.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I can't make up my mind between innovative and forward-looking vs. he's cheap and there was nobody left.

Time will tell.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I can't make up my mind between innovative and forward-looking vs. he's cheap and there was nobody left.

Time will tell.
    Well listening to him talk I get the feeling he at some point will be the former. He's about moving the ball in a slightly more methodical manner as a base philosophy and IMO that is something that is needed in order for the entire team and more specifically each individual unit to be more successful. However he bases it on personnel and multiple looks. Sounds to me like if anything the fans might lose a little bit of the big exciting deep ball in exchange for a more consistent offense and team. Make no mistake with this offense it clearly takes a good, sound team to win. I think in the long run this is the best offense, whether that translates anytime soon really depends on the personnel's execution.

Basically he is going from a feast or famine approach to a more traditional ball/clock control offense which if executed can then become more explosive.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I doubt the move was cheap as Gruden was making good coin where he was at, plus reports were he was very happy doing what he was doing. Ultimatley I think Mike Brown paid A little bit more than league average to get Gruden. I believe this because he ponied up the cake to keep Zimmer, when he could have gone cheap with him.

I like the signing think Jay will be good for this team and the young players at the wide out positions. Reports are he is meticulous and well prepared, in turn the players will be as well. Need to upgrade the line in the draft and through FA for him to get solid footing.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?