Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2010 pt. II

Re: Bengals 2010 pt. II

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Where in the world is Michael Johnson? I'm 25 years old, and in my entire life, I'm not sure this franchise has had ONE productive edge rusher. They've had a Justin Smith here and a fluke Robert Geathers season there, but never had they had any real talent at the DE position. They consistently manage to not develop young talent.

I think Michael Johnson has a world of talent, and in the right system, could potentially flourish. But in Cincy, he'll be off the roster in no time soon.
    I gave up on Robert Geathers a long time ago. The guy gets double digit sacks once - in a contract year, and then immediately goes right back to stinking after getting the big contract he was after.

Whatever the reason, I've been very disappointed with Michael Johnson this year, too. I don't know if it's shuffling him back and forth between DE and LB or what, but it clearly has not worked.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Which Shottenheimer are you guys talking about?
    Marty.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Johnson is a guy who always looked like a better player than he played. What he's doing now is not much different than his college career - great athlete, with a ripped body, yet not a lot of production. The changing positions does not help, but I think he would still be the same if he focused on just one of them. He is who he always has been, and why the Bengals expected something different I do not know

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I gave up on Robert Geathers a long time ago. The guy gets double digit sacks once - in a contract year, and then immediately goes right back to stinking after getting the big contract he was after.

Whatever the reason, I've been very disappointed with Michael Johnson this year, too. I don't know if it's shuffling him back and forth between DE and LB or what, but it clearly has not worked.

That was certainly the rap on him coming out of GT and why he fell to the third round, but I was encouraged by his play last year (particularly in the second half of the season). I've yet to see him even resemble that player this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Johnson is a guy who always looked like a better player than he played. What he's doing now is not much different than his college career - great athlete, with a ripped body, yet not a lot of production. The changing positions does not help, but I think he would still be the same if he focused on just one of them. He is who he always has been, and why the Bengals expected something different I do not know

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    That was certainly the rap on him coming out of GT and why he fell to the third round, but I was encouraged by his play last year (particularly in the second half of the season). I've yet to see him even resemble that player this year.
    Yes and traditionally that seems to happen to a lot of Bengals. Why is that? I think it's coaching.

Bengals who never improved after their rookie year:

1) James Francis
    2) Alfred Williams
    3) Brian Simmons
    4) Robert Geathers
    5) Chris Perry
    6) Dan Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Where in the world is Michael Johnson? I'm 25 years old, and in my entire life, I'm not sure this franchise has had ONE productive edge rusher. They've had a Justin Smith here and a fluke Robert Geathers season there, but never had they had any real talent at the DE position. They consistently manage to not develop young talent.

I think Michael Johnson has a world of talent, and in the right system, could potentially flourish. But in Cincy, he'll be off the roster in no time soon.
    Bengals felt the need to move him to LB and now hes back at DE after all the injuries at DE. Now he only gets playing time when the coaches feel he should. I'm not sure how many snaps he had this past week, but according to Joe Reedy he only had 8 snaps against the Falcons.

I know hes still raw, but hes about the only DE they have that has anything resembling a speed rush and you can't find more snaps for him?

I would be looking for a new D-Line coach (along with other coaches) after this season.

Just so people know how bad the Bengals pass rush is:
    Bengals as a team: 6 sacks
    Rookie DT Ndamukong Suh: 6.5 sacks

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I honestly hope they do at this point.

It would at least give us a fun side show to watch since there is no football worth watching. If we're gonna be a joke, let's be the biggest joke around!

Moss - TO - Ochocinco

All on one roster.

It has epic fail written all over it. So you know Mikey is at least considering it.
    That's the way I see it. May as well entertain us if you're not going to satisfy us
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Good point...I certainly can't argue with any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yes and traditionally that seems to happen to a lot of Bengals. Why is that? I think it's coaching.

Bengals who never improved after their rookie year:

1) James Francis
    2) Alfred Williams
    3) Brian Simmons
    4) Robert Geathers
    5) Chris Perry
    6) Dan Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    I would be looking for a new D-Line coach (along with other coaches) after this season.
    So would I, though our D-Line coach since Lewis has been here is one of the two Hayes brothers on our coaching staff. Despite a history of very little production from that position (and at TE, where Jay's brother Jon is the coach), he's managed to stay employed all these years. The only way I see either going anywhere is if Lewis is also gone, which is of course, a fairly strong possibility.

Bring Marty and Brian Schottenheimer, heck bring Kurt, bring them all.

It isn't Marvin Lewis' fault at this point. He has run his coarse. It happens. Some players are getting old, or haven't panned out. The Bengals needed to tear down after 2008. Instead they let the core get older. Quick name five current Bengals you would build around.

My five, and I really had to think hard about it.
    Jonathon Joseph
    Leon Hall
    Jermaine Gresham
    Domata Peko
    Andre Smith -30 lbs

Carson Palmer made the wrong decision on the elbow, he looks like Mark Wohlers or John Hudek. He can still bring the heat, but he can't control the ball. Can he still get it fixed? The Bengals owe him so much money, that you can't replace him, you can only hope to reconstruct him.

Lots of holes here moving forward
    1. Offensive Line, specifically quality left tackle (move Whitworth back down)
    2. Number one receiver
    3. Quality Pass Rusher be it an outside linebacker or defensive end
    4. Safety
    5. Running Back, Benson will leave, he isn't happy.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 11-03-2010 at 01:31 AM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I can't remember a time the Bengals didn't have a big hole at safety. I think linebacker is a big hole as well, Dhani Jones has gotten old, and I just don't know about Maulauga anymore. He hasn't progressed like I'd hoped (familiar theme with Bengals draft picks).
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

The Bengals are screwed for AT LEAST the next 2 seasons and that is if you had a smart General Manager in charge capable of reconstructing this roster.

I expect the Bungles to flounder around with the aging talent they have for another 2-3 seasons, do a half-assed 'rebuilding' job, wash, lather, rinse, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    The Bengals are screwed for AT LEAST the next 2 seasons and that is if you had a smart General Manager in charge capable of reconstructing this roster.

I expect the Bungles to flounder around with the aging talent they have for another 2-3 seasons, do a half-assed 'rebuilding' job, wash, lather, rinse, repeat.
    Wash, lather, rinse, repeat? The Bengals were bad in 2008 then went to the playoffs in 2009. I hope they are able to wash, lather, rinse, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Wash, lather, rinse, repeat? The Bengals were bad in 2008 then went to the playoffs in 2009. I hope they are able to wash, lather, rinse, repeat.
    Yeah and I wish the Easter Bunny was real.

I'm guessing you haven't been following the Bengals very long?

The wash lather rinse repeat deals with over 20 years of suckitude and bad decisions, not a lucky playoff birth. (Blind hog/acorn principle personified) Sound like one of those naive season ticket holders who cons himself into handing Mike Brown more of his money every year.

This team has MASSIVE, deep-rooted problems both in terms of their roster and of course upper management. Focus on that.
    Last edited by WMR; 11-03-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Turn Off Ads?