Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2010-2011

Re: NBA 2010-2011

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    The guy couldn't bench press his weight even one time. His strength and structure was his big "question mark" as I remember it. There were quite a few KD supporters, I'll give you that. But still big > small. If Oden doesn't get hurt every single year, I think the talk would be of how crazy that draft class was and not, I can't believe they picked Oden before Durant. Oden is a game changer, for sure. It's just unfortunate that he is so injury prone.

When Beasley came out, I remember telling myself... I was so wrong about Kevin Durant that I'm not gonna fall for this again. I was big on Beasley > Rose. Man was I wrong again. Good thing I'm not an NBA scout
    Oden has always been more about potential than anything. He's tall, he's athletic... he COULD be great. The guy had no back-to-the-basket moves at OSU, and still doesn't for the most part. He's certainly a presence in the paint on defense, and he's not atrocious on offense... but no way should he be taken above Durant.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Oden has always been more about potential than anything. He's tall, he's athletic... he COULD be great. The guy had no back-to-the-basket moves at OSU, and still doesn't for the most part. He's certainly a presence in the paint on defense, and he's not atrocious on offense... but no way should he be taken above Durant.
    Sam Bowie says hi.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Sam Bowie says hi.

Exactly. I think too often GMs reach for height. Oden was, and is, very clearly raw. And the injury concerns plagued him at OSU, they weren't something that just materialized over night. The Blazers knew the risks and took him anyways.

If Oden stays four years at OSU, I'm not even sure how good of a college player he becomes. I'm not convinced he ever stays on the court long enough to make a true impact.

Lakers looking good. Even without Andrew.

Exactly. I think too often GMs reach for height. Oden was, and is, very clearly raw. And the injury concerns plagued him at OSU, they weren't something that just materialized over night. The Blazers knew the risks and took him anyways.

If Oden stays four years at OSU, I'm not even sure how good of a college player he becomes. I'm not convinced he ever stays on the court long enough to make a true impact.
    Raw or not he is a damn good NBA player when healthy. I realize that is a big if though.

Look at the numbers and how efficient he was last year before his injury.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Spurs are 5-1 now. Just read today how happy Popovich is to have such a deep bench to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Raw or not he is a damn good NBA player when healthy. I realize that is a big if though.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that. He certainly is productive when in the lineup. But unfortunately, we can't ignore the injury aspect of it.

Also, even Oden at his best doesn't warrant a pick over Durant, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Even when healthy he's not a dominating offensive force, not yet anyway.
    "three dimes, a one hundred dollar bill and and 87 ones..."

Oden is not just "potential"... he's a really good player... when healthy. Yes, he's never healthy, I understand that. His offensive game isn't dominating, but still quite efficient (61%). Defensively though, I'd say he is a game changer. 2.3 BPG in just under 24 minutes.

Oden at his best.... have we seen it? Has he ever been healthy? He's either injured, rehabbing, or fresh on the court from an injury. I think a healthy and in game shape Oden would put up something like 16 ppg (around 60% FG) 10 rpg 3-3.5 bpg. Which still might not be enough to pick him over Durant. It's just hard to consider players busts when they are just injury prone but have played well with the opportunities that they've had.

As for the Bowie comment.... sorry, Durant isn't on MJ's level.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Oden is not just "potential"... he's a really good player... when healthy. Yes, he's never healthy, I understand that. His offensive game isn't dominating, but still quite efficient (61%). Defensively though, I'd say he is a game changer. 2.3 BPG in just under 24 minutes.

Oden at his best.... have we seen it? Has he ever been healthy? He's either injured, rehabbing, or fresh on the court from an injury. I think a healthy and in game shape Oden would put up something like 16 ppg (around 60% FG) 10 rpg 3-3.5 bpg. Which still might not be enough to pick him over Durant. It's just hard to consider players busts when they are just injury prone but have played well with the opportunities that they've had.

As for the Bowie comment.... sorry, Durant isn't on MJ's level.
    I don't think the debate is about whether Oden is productive or not (which he is) or whether Durant is on MJ's level (nobody is, quite frankly).

Oden is a good NBA center. Kevin Durant is a potential once-in-a-generation talent.

Kevin Durant is a potential once-in-a-generation talent.
    Except he's not.

LeBron and Kobe are in that generation and both are far better.

And, just behind Durant are players that may be just as good-- Blake Griffin and John Wall.

Durant is good-- all NBA good, for that matter. He may even be HOF good. But he's not a generational talent.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Sweet win for my Jazz tonight in Miami. Paul Millsap does not suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Sweet win for my Jazz tonight in Miami. Paul Millsap does not suck.
    Wooooooooo!!!!!!
    What a frickin game.

Jazz win again! After coming back from 22 last night in Miami they come back from 18 down in the 3rd to be Orlando in Orlando.

In other news John Wall becomes the youngest player in NBA history to mess around and get a triple double. Pretty impressive.

Looks like the Blazers might find out this year how good a pick Oden ends up being as it's looking like Roy may be done for the season. Pryzbilla comes back in 3 weeks and Oden a month after that. Come January, it will be hard for any team to score 90 on the Blazers.

Turn Off Ads?