Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 1939 World Series: Reds vs. Yanks color footage?

1939 World Series: Reds vs. Yanks color footage?

I was just simply browsing some baseball videos on YouTube and stumbled across this video whcih I've never seen before. The quality is obviously not the best, and the video is quite dark, but if this is legit color footage from the 1939 World Series then this is pretty cool.

I was trying to identify some players by uniform numbers, but it's difficult to read the numbers on the uniforms.

YouTube - 1939 World Series color footage
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 1939 World Series: Reds vs. Yanks color footage?

At the 39 second mark we see game 2 Paul Derringer on the mound (nice windmill motion!!) I'm guessing at bat is a RH, either Crosetti, Dimaggio, Dahlgren or the pitcher Ruffing...on deck is a player with a 2 digit number, thus that's not Dimaggio, because Dickey on deck would have #8, it looks like 12 to me that would be Dahgren's number, the man who replaced Lou Gehrig. At bat is Joe Gordon.
    Last edited by westofyou; 10-28-2010 at 09:38 PM.

At the 2.30 mark famed baseball comedian Al Schacht is seen doing a pregame performance.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    At the 39 second mark we see game 2 Paul Derringer on the mound (nice windmill motion!!) I'm guessing at bat is a RH, either Crosetti, Dimaggio, Dahlgren or the pitcher Ruffing...on deck is a player with a 2 digit number, thus that's not Dimaggio, because Dickey on deck would have #8, it looks like 12 to me that would be Dahgren's number, the man who replaced Lou Gehrig. At bat is Joe Gordon.
    Good stuff, woy.

If that's Game 2 at the 39 second mark, that would have to be Walters pitching. I wonder if that clip at the 39 second mark is Gordon's plate appearance in the bottom of the second inning. Gordon appears to put a ball in play, and Walters immediately turns around to look over his left shoulder. In the 2nd inning, Gordon flied out to center. In Gordon's other PAs, he grounded out to 3rd and struck out.

At the same time, that uniform number on deck looks like a 2. If that's the case, then that's Crosetti hitting. The thing is, Crosetti never put anything in to play that would make Walters turn toward right field. Crosetti singled to left, grounded to third, grounded to Lombardi catching and then popped out to short.

Interesting stuff to think about though.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 10-28-2010 at 10:05 PM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Actually, I wonder if that 39 second clip is Game 1 with Derringer now that I look at it. If that's a #2 on deck (Rolfe), then that would be Crosetti hitting. In the bottom of the first, Crosetti flied out to short right field, which would make sense given where Derringer turned to look when contact was made. At the very end of the clip, it looks like you can see the right fielder Goodman break toward the right field foul line.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Good stuff, woy.

If that's Game 2 at the 39 second mark, that would have to be Walters pitching. I wonder if that clip at the 39 second mark is Gordon's plate appearance in the bottom of the second inning. Gordon appears to put a ball in play, and Walters immediately turns around to look over his left shoulder. In the 2nd inning, Gordon flied out to center. In Gordon's other PAs, he grounded out to 3rd and struck out.

At the same time, that uniform number on deck looks like a 2. If that's the case, then that's Crosetti hitting. The thing is, Crosetti never put anything in to play that would make Walters turn toward right field. Crosetti singled to left, grounded to third, grounded to Lombardi catching and then popped out to short.

Interesting stuff to think about though.
    At 1st i thought it was game 2, but the light in the next shot is much brighter, so I think the first part is probably later in game one, the light compared to the next day's pre game ritual. Just a handful of RH's on that Yankee team, we could probably `nail the AB

Cylclone, what a terrific post! Thanks!
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Great post Cyclone.
    I was surprised by the amount of advertising in the outfield, with Gem Blades and the like. I didn't realize that Yankee Stadium had that much advertising back then.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?