Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Go Team Coco!

Re: Go Team Coco!

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I won't be watching his show. He cries foul against Leno and then does the same thing to George Lopez, who did not publicly cry about it. Besides, I don't think he is that funny.
    That's not a matter of opinion. You're absolutely right, Lopez is not funny, at all.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Conan's mostly entertaining, but I'd never make time to watch his show or go out of my way to DVR and watch it.

I think, more than anything else, I'm sick of the format. Music, monologue, bit, guest, bit, guest, musical guest, credits. Wash, rinse, repeat. The celebrity guests are usually vapid, unfunny, and uninteresting and you can almost always get better bits on sketch comedy shows.

I have no doubt it'll be more of the same when Conan comes back.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    He never liked the 10 PM slot to begin with. He went along with the network's 5-year plan for Conan to take over, and got cold feet near the end. The network wanted to keep him and proposed the 10 PM show. He reluctantly went along with it. But it was never something he wanted to do and as it started failing, he wanted his old slot back. The only part I agree with is that NBC was unhappy with the ratings, so they worked with Leno to move the show back to its old time slot.
    It was worked out to keep both hosts, Leno and O'Brien. Leno was to come on at 11:30 and O'Brien at 12:00. O'Brien said an emphatic no. He was not fired but left because he did not want the new time slot. He decided to leave and was paid nearly $40 million to do so. I just don't understand the O'Brien sympathy. Leno was failing but so was O'Brien. It was a business decision.

I don't want to focus too much on whether it was Leno's fault, because actually it kind of gets away from the key point: Conan was screwed.
    He made the decision to leave and was paid nearly $40 million to do so...and got a show on TBS. He was not screwed but parlayed his failure into a pretty good situation for himself. Let's forget the drama and see how he actually does now.
    Last edited by Spitball; 11-05-2010 at 08:55 PM.

It was worked out to keep both hosts, Leno and O'Brien. Leno was to come on at 11:30 and O'Brien at 12:00. O'Brien said an emphatic no. He was not fired but left because he did not want the new time slot. He decided to leave and was paid nearly $40 million to do so. I just don't understand the O'Brien sympathy. Leno was failing but so was O'Brien. It was a business decision.

He made the decision to leave and was paid nearly $40 million to do so...and got a show on TBS. He was not screwed but parlayed his failure into a pretty good situation for himself. Let's forget the drama and see how he actually does now.
    Leno was entitled to the full amount of his contract whether he had a show or not. That was in his contract. So NBC didn't really have much choice but to attempt to keep both guys.

Conan didn't make the decision to leave. That's twisting the reality. He said he would not agree to move time slots. It was NBC who then said they would not keep him since he wouldn't agree to switch. It may seem like semantics but it's not: Conan didn't quit, he just said he wouldn't change slots. NBC then negotiated his out.

He'll be fine. But that doesn't justify how unethical NBC was with the whole situation. I'm guessing if it were your career, you'd be pretty peeved about it. Can you put yourself in someone's shoes and think about what it would be like to wait 5 years for a specific position that was promised to you. You sign a contract being guaranteed that specific position, then after less than a year it's taken back from you? I cannot imagine you or anyone would be happy with that.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Conan didn't make the decision to leave. That's twisting the reality. He said he would not agree to move time slots. It was NBC who then said they would not keep him since he wouldn't agree to switch. It may seem like semantics but it's not: Conan didn't quit, he just said he wouldn't change slots. NBC then negotiated his out.
    I'm not twisting anything here. Read your own post here. You have twisted the reality. O'Brien's contract did not stipulate the time slot. It only stated that he could have the Tonight Show. In hindsight, it was a mistake by his agents. NBC made a decision based on failing ratings and O'Brien chose not to accept the change. He had the option to stay, but his ego prevailed. He left and his fans (not really O'Brien) played the "victim card." I know I'd have more sympathy if the whole Team Coco stupidity hadn't started.

You sign a contract being guaranteed that specific position, then after less than a year it's taken back from you? I cannot imagine you or anyone would be happy with that.
    The fact is he signed for the Tonight Show and not the time slot. Btw, virtually every employer moves people from positions when they don't bring expected returns. That is life.

I'm not twisting anything here. Read your own post here. You have twisted the reality. O'Brien's contract did not stipulate the time slot. It only stated that he could have the Tonight Show. In hindsight, it was a mistake by his agents. NBC made a decision based on failing ratings and O'Brien chose not to accept the change. He had the option to stay, but his ego prevailed. He left and his fans (not really O'Brien) played the "victim card." I know I'd have more sympathy if the whole Team Coco stupidity hadn't started.

The fact is he signed for the Tonight Show and not the time slot. Btw, virtually every employer moves people from positions when they don't bring expected returns. That is life.
    Everyone thinks of the Tonight Show as being NBC at 11:30 after the local news. To move that back in favor of Jay Leno being on at 11:30 is a slap in the face to try and call that the Tonight Show. Come on now, that's silly.

It honestly sounds like your self-admitting dislike of Conan is clouding your judgment.

The employer, in this case, didn't make the decision based on expected returns. If that were the case, they would have just flat canned Conan. They made the decision because Leno was tanking so bad and didn't have anything else to do with him so they had to try and move Conan back. Conan got canned because he was the more expendable of the two.

Further, a good case could be made that Conan didn't get a chance to succeed. Not only was he not given a ton of time, but he was getting a crappy lead in from Leno's show. The lead in huge in television ratings.

The expected returns thing is a poor excuse. If this were about expected returns, NBC would have just fired Conan, given the Tonight Show to Jay Leno and wouldn't have given him the option of staying, albeit in a later time slot. The fact they didn't do that is because they weren't concerned by the ratings. That's just lip service to cover up what they knew (and you should know) was bad business to begin with.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    That's not a matter of opinion. You're absolutely right, Lopez is not funny, at all.
    Are any of the three funny?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Jay Leno is not an NBC executive. He didn't give O'Brien his job and he didn't in reality take it away.

Back in 2005, NBC announced that 2008 would be Leno's last year on the Tonight Show probably because they feared losing O'Brien. In an effort to keep both hosts, NBC created the primetime slot for Leno and promised him a year at that time slot. O'Brien went to the Tonight Show slot and Jimmy Fallon moved to the late night slot.

The Leno experiment had terrible ratings and The Tonight Show with O'Brien lost virtually half its ratings. The decision made by executives was forced by loss of dollars as Leno was a terrible lead in to the late news, and O'Brien was hurting the lead in to late night, which apparently had been a high profit time slot.

The shake-up was not dictated by Leno but by ratings and dollars.
    I would believe you on this, had Leno not pulled a worse stunt back in 1992 with Letterman. Leno has developed a solid reputation for screwing over friends to advance his career, so it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt here. You are correct that at first, it was NBC's decision to cancel Leno's 10 PM show, but after that Leno had a strong offer from ABC, but turned it down because he wanted the Tonight Show back. Even if it wasn't his idea to replace Conan, it was a back stabbing act to accept it. Most hosts would have turned it down on principle. I know Johnny Carson, Jack Parr and Steve Allen would have.

Concerning ratings, Leno's Tonight Show ratings were bad for years until he booked Hugh Grant after Grant's "incident." And Leno's rating right now aren't much better than Conan's were, so if NBC did make this decision based on ratings, it looks like they were mistaken.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    I honestly don't think he's ever made me laugh.
    YouTube - Conan OBrien - Most random Walker Texas Ranger moment ever

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

That made me laugh.

I like Conan, but never made a real point to watch/DVR. If he was on, I'd watch. I'm rarely up that late these days. I may DVR the new show for a bit to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Are any of the three funny?
    I find Conan amusing at times, but Craig Kilborn was damn funny.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

The show was decent. Pretty much your standard late night, talk show format.

Conan's monologue had a few vignettes, some of his usual self-deprecating humor, a few timely jabs at NBC and that was pretty much the extent of it. All in all, a decent show, though it was something of a disappointment relative to the promotion levied for the premiere.

The show was decent. Pretty much your standard late night, talk show format.

Conan's monologue had a few vignettes, some of his usual self-deprecating humor, a few timely jabs at NBC and that was pretty much the extent of it. All in all, a decent show, though it was something of a disappointment relative to the promotion levied for the premiere.
    His performance with Jack White stole the show, IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    His performance with Jack White stole the show, IMHO...
    Good point. That was a pretty cool performance.

I loved the opening skit!
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Turn Off Ads?