Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Auburn's football team overrated?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

11 26.83%
  • no

30 73.17%
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Auburn overrated?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is Auburn overrated?

Why did you vote the way you did?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Re: Is Auburn overrated?

Define over-rated? I think they're really good, but I don't think we really know just how good they are at this point. LSU is the team that was massively over-rated. We may not learn until they play Alabama as the SEC as a whole is way down this year vs where it's been over the past 5 years, but Alabama is still a legit excellent team (maybe the only other really good team in the conference this year).

Cam Newton is easily the Heisman winner, but without him I think they're very average. There just isn't any truly great teams in college football this year. Hell, I truly believe Boise State can play with anyone at this point... same for TCU.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    same for TCU.
    Yeah, I've had my doubts about TCU this year, and they've got a big one with Utah coming next weekend that they need to get through still. That being said, the most underrated result of this college football season is TCU 45, Baylor 10. Baylor's a really good team, and TCU just walloped them.

Because there are no great teams this year, and they've got as good a case as anyone to be where they're at, I voted 'no.'

That said, I do think their defense is borderline awful, and not championship material. I think they'll lose to Alabama, if not another game or so in between.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Because there are no great teams this year, and they've got as good a case as anyone to be where they're at, I voted 'no.'
    I tend to agree with this.

They're pretty good. Fun to watch. So is Oregon. I still think the best roster, overall, belongs to Alabama.

Quite honestly, I hope Auburn runs the table and thumps Bama.

Cam Newton is a transcendent college football player.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post

That said, I do think their defense is borderline awful, and not championship material. I think they'll lose to Alabama, if not another game or so in between.
    I think Oregon is close to being 'great.' They're the opposite in terms of ALabama from last year. Their offense is unstoppable ('Bama's D was immovable) and their D is good enough to win a NC (just as 'Bama's offense was).

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I think Oregon is close to being 'great.' They're the opposite in terms of ALabama from last year. Their offense is unstoppable ('Bama's D was immovable) and their D is good enough to win a NC (just as 'Bama's offense was).
    I'm no SEC apologist, but I'd wager if Oregon had Auburn's schedule to this point, we wouldn't be viewing them as unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm no SEC apologist, but I'd wager if Oregon had Auburn's schedule to this point, we wouldn't be viewing them as unstoppable.
    That's a fair argument. But then again, look at some of the scores in the SEC this season. Oregon's offense is the best in the nation IMO. They put up 48 at Tennessee, more than any other team this year. While Tennessee isn't a great example, it's a starting point. They had to travel 2K miles and they put 48 points on an SEC defense. I know UT has given up some points, but think about the conditions the game was played in too.

I think Oregon is legit this year more than any other. I think they're going to the NC against whomever the voters want.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    After a week one loss to Boise St. the 2009 Oregon Ducks put up points of 38, 31, 42, 52, 24, 43, 47, 42, 44, 44, and 27. Everyone was talking about how unstoppable their offense was going into the bowl game. Lets be wary of history repeating itself when talking about Oregon's unstoppable offense.

They don't have a Defense but then neither does Oregon, a title game with those 2 will have 120 points scored.
    Go Gators!

I think they deserve to be #1 right now, but I still don't fully buy them. Every remotely tough game they've had has been at home, and they struggled to beat UK and Miss St on the road. Can't decide if they are great, or a product of simply protecting home field. So I guess...no, they aren't overrated, but I'm also not sure they are truly among the best in the country. Game at Bama may be for a spot in the national title game, assuming both win out until then.

They're no more overrated than any other team out there, IMO. Given the events of the season so far, they should be #1.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I've been impressed with both Auburn and Oregon. Oregon is very exciting to watch.

They're ranked #1 because they're undefeated, yet they barely squeaked by in three of those wins against average opponents. The #1 ranking should go to the best team in the country, and they're not, so by definition, they're overrated.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    They're ranked #1 because they're undefeated, yet they barely squeaked by in three of those wins against average opponents. The #1 ranking should go to the best team in the country, and they're not, so by definition, they're overrated.
    So who is the best team, and how do you possibly determine that?

The biggest myth of the BCS is that it tries to find the best two teams. Not true, no system tries to do that. It tries to determine the two most qualified teams. Auburn has beaten LSU and South Carolina while remaining unbeaten, a better "resume" than every other team in the country. That's why they deserve to be #1 right now.
    Last edited by guttle11; 10-31-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Turn Off Ads?