Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Auburn's football team overrated?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

11 26.83%
  • no

30 73.17%
Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Auburn overrated?

Re: Is Auburn overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    They need to increase the competition of their schedule regardless if that means they lose some money. To me they need to play anyone anywhere.
    FYI, Boise is opening next year against Georgia.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    And anyone who thinks LSU is worthy of a shot at the national championship, hopefully came to their senses tonight.
    Agreed 100%. LSU is so overrated it's not even funny. I'm stunned they are somehow 10-1. They should have lost lost to Tennessee if not for an ignorant penalty on Tennessee to extend the game and give LSU a second chance.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Does anyone in the SEC play any defense this year? Week after week, living here in the south, I watch SEC games and I can't believe how bad the defenses are. I know it's an off year for the conference, but geez, the display of defense this year has been atrocious.
    Average points allowed by SEC teams, per game, through last Saturday: 23.33
    Average points allowed by Big Ten teams, per game, through last Saturday: 23.74

Average yards allowed by SEC teams, per game, through last Saturday: 320.30
    Average yards allowed by Big 10 teams, per game, through last Saturday: 354.08

National rankings, through last Saturday:

Alabama -- #4 scoring defense, #14 total defense
    LSU -- #6 scoring defense, #5 total defense
    Mississippi St. -- #16 scoring defense
    Florida -- #11 total defense
    Georgia -- #24 total defense
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Who said anything about the Big Ten? Certainly not me. Of course, I'm not surprised it always comes back to that.

And if those are the rankings, then they are pretty much worthless. I am surrounded by Florida fans and I think most of them would laugh if I told them they had the #11 defense in the country. Trying to "rank" defenses of 100+ schools who all play different schedules is an exercise in futility. And you mean to tell me the LSU defense I watched tonight against Ole Miss is the 5th best in the country?

I think it's a this year thing, but I've watched tons of SEC football this year, and the quality of the defense played has been bad.... very bad. I can't speak to the big 10 because I've watched only a few games this year.
    Last edited by MWM; 11-21-2010 at 01:34 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Who said anything about the Big Ten? Certainly not me. Of course, I'm not surprised it always comes back to that.
    You're a Big 10 fan. Was just doing a little compare/contrast for you.

And if those are the rankings, then they are pretty much worthless.
    They are: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Intern...0000911TD.HTML

I am surrounded by Florida fans and I think most of them would laugh if I told them they had the #11 defense in the country. Trying to "rank" defenses of 100+ schools who all play different schedules is an exercise in futility.
    So how do we analyze defense (or any other facet of the game)? By what we see on the 3:30 CBS game of the week?

Florida has given up a good number of points to the good teams on their schedule, no doubt. Most teams do. In the other games, they've been lights out. They've also been pretty miserable offensively, meaning their defense has been on the field A LOT.

And you mean to tell me the LSU defense I watched tonight against Ole Miss is the 5th best in the country?
    I'm not telling you that. The numbers are.

Is the TCU defense that gave up 35 points to San Diego State last week the #1 defense in the country?

Nope, and that's exactly my point. Ole Miss had no problem moving them ball on LSU all night and they're supposedly the best defense in the conference. I know Auburn doesn't play any defense. I've watched enough to know that the overall caliber of defense being played on saturdays in the SEC is not good this year.

BTW, I'm not a Big Ten fan. I'm a fan of Ohio State, and to some degree Michigan having gotten a degree from there.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    So how do we analyze defense (or any other facet of the game)? By what we see on the 3:30 CBS game of the week?
    Baselines just ruin a good story!
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Nope, and that's exactly my point. Ole Miss had no problem moving them ball on LSU all night and they're supposedly the best defense in the conference. I know Auburn doesn't play any defense. I've watched enough to know that the overall caliber of defense being played on saturdays in the SEC is not good this year.
    Just saying... It's a large leap from LSU giving up 36 points to Ole Miss (who averages 31.27 ppg) and Auburn not having a good defense (ranked 50th, BTW) to "does anyone in the SEC play any defense?"

The numbers tell us they play defense, as a conference as a whole, at least as well as the "stout" Big 10.

And let's not forget, the SEC has some pretty good offenses that can look pretty good on occaision. Auburn and Arkansas are both top 10 in total offense. Kentucky has the NCAA's all purpose yardage leader. Georgia has the best receiver in collge football. South Carolina has some future NFL talent carrying and catching the ball. Alabama has 2 stud backs. 8 of the 12 SEC programs are in the top 40 in the country in scoring offense. And everyone but Vandy (the worst SEC offense I've ever seen. Ever.) is 65 or better.

And if those are the rankings, then they are pretty much worthless. I am surrounded by Florida fans and I think most of them would laugh if I told them they had the #11 defense in the country. Trying to "rank" defenses of 100+ schools who all play different schedules is an exercise in futility. And you mean to tell me the LSU defense I watched tonight against Ole Miss is the 5th best in the country?

I think it's a this year thing, but I've watched tons of SEC football this year, and the quality of the defense played has been bad.... very bad. I can't speak to the big 10 because I've watched only a few games this year.
    Your opinion of the SEC is well documented. My question is why are you picking on the SEC? This is a banner year for the PAC 10 and is home to the #1 team in the country. I don't see much defense in the PAC 10. Why not mention them first?

The teams that play defense in college football are few and far between in this age of spread offenses. That's what makes TCU and BSU so intriguing . Those two teams play defense. How will it stand up against the nation's best?

The Pac-10 never plays defense and hasn't for as long as I can remember. This is unusual for the SEC. And as has been pointed out, it could be my eyes are deceiving me. And I'm not "picking on" the SEC. It's just that I live in SEC land these days and there's little good college football on TV other than the SEC. And I'm not sure how my opinion is "well documented". I've said dozens of times on here that the SEC is the strongest conference int eh country top to bottom. That hasn't changed. What more am I supposed to say about it?

The Pac-10 never plays defense and hasn't for as long as I can remember. This is unusual for the SEC. And as has been pointed out, it could be my eyes are deceiving me. And I'm not "picking on" the SEC. It's just that I live in SEC land these days and there's little good college football on TV other than the SEC. And I'm not sure how my opinion is "well documented". I've said dozens of times on here that the SEC is the strongest conference int eh country top to bottom. That hasn't changed. What more am I supposed to say about it?
    Well, if that's the way you put it, you get no argument from me. I think you answered your own question. The SEC has dropped a bit this year and that's very clear as you look at the defenses. Powers like Florida and Alabama lost a lot of talent to the NFL. That's how college football works

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Weaker than their schedule this season? That would take some doing.
    Yes. Weaker than their schedule this season. It sucks.

Right now only Stanford has a good team.

Oregon State traditionally has one of the Top-20 teams in the Country, but that isn't until the end of the season, as their lack of talent always causes them to lose early season games, this year being an aberration. Mike Riley is the best Coach in the Pac-10 and has been during both his stints at Oregon State (sandwiched around a poor debut in the NFL as Head Coach of the Chargers).

Washington State always suffers along with Oregon State as far as lack of talent (based on budget).

Washington has political problems at the top of the University structure where not all see Football as important to it's face.

California is down right now. It wasn't very long ago that they got screwed out of BCS bowlgame. They'll be back.

UCLA has issues beyond Rick Neuheisel, though he's not the problem.

Oregon no longer will be able to put a Portland State on their schedule, while attempting to get two Top-20 teams every season on their non-conference schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So how's the schedule going to go? Will they play 8 or 9 conference games a year? I think it should be 9. I imagine you get one rival in the other half to play every year or will they do two? Who will be Oregon's rival?
    Oregon's rival....that's a good question.

I imagine it will be USC as they run into each other in the Conference Championship game frequently.

I don't know about the rest of the system when it comes to them playing Utah, Colorado and the Arizona schools. They have to play each LA school at least once over every two-year period. And, of course, they play 5 games in their Division.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This year screams playoffs because someone is going to get hosed. But "that's what makes college football relevant".
    Every year somebody gets hosed. It was often done because of Notre Dame. But, they've been so bad for so long that they can't hose anyone anymore.

Turn Off Ads?