Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Auburn's football team overrated?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    11 26.83%
  • no

    30 73.17%
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 482

Thread: Is Auburn overrated?

  1. #16
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    Nobody in the southeast is ever going to admit the SEC is down.... just won't happen under any circumstance. But pretty much everyone outside it can see it. It's not as good as it has been. I don't buy the SEC west is loaded. They have Alabama and Auburn and that's about it. LSU is not very good regardless of their record and neither is Arkansas. If they're loaded because of LSU and Arkansas, then every conference is loaded because all of them can claim teams that good.

    Auburn deserves the ranking they have and they have the best player in the game this year. They may just be the best team in the country. If they go onto beat Alabama, then there will be no doubt as to where they stand. But I don't think their path has been any more difficult than Oregon's to this point. And most people not living in the southeast are likely to agree. If the two teams played on neutral terf, I think it would be close but I'd probably bet on Oregon. Auburn's offense is very good, but is capable of being slowed down, even if just a little. I don't know that Oregon's could be slowed down at all.

    But like Rick said, none of us have much idea of what would happen if all these teams were able to play on the field.
    Last edited by MWM; 10-31-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    Oregon #1 in BCS. Richly deserved.

  4. #18
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,129

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Nobody in the southeast is ever going to admit the SEC is down.... just won't happen under any circumstance. But pretty much everyone outside it can see it. It's not as good as it has been. I don't buy the SEC west is loaded. They have Alabama and Auburn and that's about it. LSU is not very good regardless of their record and neither is Arkansas. If they're loaded because of LSU and Arkansas, then every conference is loaded because all of them can claim teams that good.

    Auburn deserves the ranking they have and they have the best player in the game this year. They may just be the best team in the country. If they go onto beat Alabama, then there will be no doubt as to where they stand. But I don't think their path has been any more difficult than Oregon's to this point. And most people not living in the southeast are likely to agree. If the two teams played on neutral terf, I think it would be close but I'd probably bet on Oregon. Auburn's offense is very good, but is capable of being slowed down, even if just a little. I don't know that Oregon's could be slowed down at all.

    But like Rick said, none of us have much idea of what would happen if all these teams were able to play on the field.
    To me Oregon is the same team they were last year. Ohio State set the blueprint on how to beat them. Run the ball on offense, win the time of possession battle, hit the quarterback, hit him again, hit him again. I think the PAC10 is actually weaker than last year.

    I really like Auburn's offense, especially Cam Newton. If they run through the rest of their schedule, and the SEC Championship, there will be no doubt where they deserve to be ranked.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  5. #19
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,512

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    To me Oregon is the same team they were last year. Ohio State set the blueprint on how to beat them. Run the ball on offense, win the time of possession battle, hit the quarterback, hit him again, hit him again. I think the PAC10 is actually weaker than last year.

    I really like Auburn's offense, especially Cam Newton. If they run through the rest of their schedule, and the SEC Championship, there will be no doubt where they deserve to be ranked.
    Blueprints are nice, and perhaps Ohio State did set one. But you also need the personnel to do it. Quite honestly, I see only one defense good enough to stop Oregon this year (Alabama). I definitely don't think even Ohio State could do the same thing this year. In fact, this Ohio State defense as is would probably get dinged quite a bit against Oregon.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  6. #20
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,658

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Nobody in the southeast is ever going to admit the SEC is down.... just won't happen under any circumstance.
    This is simply untrue and unfair.

    Five of the six SEC west teams are ranked in the top 20 of the BCS standing with 3 of the teams being in the top 10 (overall the SEC West is 39-11). Name another conference that bests how just the SEC west is viewed by the BCS....

    Auburn has to play all of those teams in addition to another SEC team in the top 20-South Carolina.

    Oregon's resume? To this point they've only played 2 teams that currently sport a winning record.

    There are plenty of reasons to argue the SEC West is tough this year without being biased.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  7. #21
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    "Rankings" don't make teams good. Part of the reason those teams are ranked where they are is because they're in the SEC. I've watched LSU, Arkansas, and Mississippi play this year (part of living in the southeast is that about every game is on TV) and you're not going to convince me that those teams are worthy of making a conference "loaded". They're all very average and every conference has teams this good.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  8. #22
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,658

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    "Rankings" don't make teams good. Part of the reason those teams are ranked where they are is because they're in the SEC. I've watched LSU, Arkansas, and Mississippi play this year (part of living in the southeast is that about every game is on TV) and you're not going to convince me that those teams are worthy of making a conference "loaded". They're all very average and every conference has teams this good.
    Rankings aren't as arbitrary as "someone in the southeast"....and that's the point.


    If the SEC West is essentially average then its a down year for NCAA football.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  9. #23
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,132

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Blueprints are nice, and perhaps Ohio State did set one. But you also need the personnel to do it. Quite honestly, I see only one defense good enough to stop Oregon this year (Alabama). I definitely don't think even Ohio State could do the same thing this year. In fact, this Ohio State defense as is would probably get dinged quite a bit against Oregon.
    The same things were being said last year about Oregon when OSU played them. Its the reason I really am not buying Oregon to this point yet. They haven't played a team yet who will hit them in the mouth. They will hit them over and over again.

    As for Auburn I don't buy them yet. I won't buy them until they play and beat Alabama. They are a nice story with a dynamic QB but so was UM until they ran into some trouble. As someone said above I think the SEC is way down this season. LSU isn't all that great, neither is Arkansas or Ol Miss. Florida and Georgia are both down this season and Alabama is the cream of the crop but has one loss to their name.

    I am not a big believer in teams that can't stop anybody. I am a big believer in dynamic offenses but those need to be accompanied by solid defenses. Both Auburn and Oregon don't have a defense.

  10. #24
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Nobody in the southeast is ever going to admit the SEC is down....
    I'm not going to disagree with this, but the SEC is still in line to send a team to the national championship game for the FIFTH year in a row, with the leading Heisman candidate to boot.

    It's not going to matter until after January 10th when the dust settles after all the bowl games and then we can justify whether or not the SEC is overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  11. #25
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,512

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The same things were being said last year about Oregon when OSU played them. Its the reason I really am not buying Oregon to this point yet. They haven't played a team yet who will hit them in the mouth. They will hit them over and over again.

    As for Auburn I don't buy them yet. I won't buy them until they play and beat Alabama. They are a nice story with a dynamic QB but so was UM until they ran into some trouble. As someone said above I think the SEC is way down this season. LSU isn't all that great, neither is Arkansas or Ol Miss. Florida and Georgia are both down this season and Alabama is the cream of the crop but has one loss to their name.

    I am not a big believer in teams that can't stop anybody. I am a big believer in dynamic offenses but those need to be accompanied by solid defenses. Both Auburn and Oregon don't have a defense.
    If you look around college football, however, you'll see a whole bunch of teams that can't stop anybody. Alabama and, I suppose TCU, are the only two teams really built on defense right now.

    I usually agree with you about needing to be able to play defense. That usually is a team's downfall. Problem is, there aren't many teams that can make Oregon pay for that. This year the defenses just don't seem to be catching up with the offenses as much.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  12. #26
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,540

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Nobody in the southeast is ever going to admit the SEC is down.... just won't happen under any circumstance.
    I don't know if I qualify as "the southeast" but I do think the SEC is down as compared to recent years. I still think they're the best football conference around but I'm "not as sure" as I used to be...

  13. #27
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,540

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    If you look around college football, however, you'll see a whole bunch of teams that can't stop anybody. Alabama and, I suppose TCU, are the only two teams really built on defense right now.

    I usually agree with you about needing to be able to play defense. That usually is a team's downfall. Problem is, there aren't many teams that can make Oregon pay for that. This year the defenses just don't seem to be catching up with the offenses as much.
    That's true. Syracuse is not a national contender but they do seem to be built on defense, but the top teams appear to be "we'll outscore" you types

  14. #28
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,132

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    If you look around college football, however, you'll see a whole bunch of teams that can't stop anybody. Alabama and, I suppose TCU, are the only two teams really built on defense right now.

    I usually agree with you about needing to be able to play defense. That usually is a team's downfall. Problem is, there aren't many teams that can make Oregon pay for that. This year the defenses just don't seem to be catching up with the offenses as much.
    I would lump OSU in there as a good defensive team. They had one bad game against Wisconsin and thats about it.

    The issue with Oregon is that they play in a conference that really doesn't value defense. Its a run and gun type league and has been ever since I can remember. There have been years when USC's defense has been good but thats about it.

    I think that there are several teams that Oregon would have a tough time against. Alabama, TCU, and Ohio State come to my mind right away but also Big 10 teams like Wisconsin and Iowa (not being a Big 10 homer just impressed with these teams) have good defenses, good OLines, and solid QB's. Teams that can play a ball control offense and make sure you pay every time you run the ball.

  15. #29
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,895

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    They are not overrated in that their play on the field so far undoubtedly merits their current ranking.

    But Saban is gonna take em' down.

  16. #30
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Is Auburn overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    To me Oregon is the same team they were last year. Ohio State set the blueprint on how to beat them. Run the ball on offense, win the time of possession battle, hit the quarterback, hit him again, hit him again. I think the PAC10 is actually weaker than last year.
    I disagree. I think Oregon is much better this year than last. Jeremiah Masoli was a turnover machine. Darron Thomas is a much, much better QB, IMO.
    I miss Adam Dunn.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25