Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Auburn's football team overrated?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

11 26.83%
  • no

30 73.17%
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Auburn overrated?

Re: Is Auburn overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    To me Oregon is the same team they were last year. Ohio State set the blueprint on how to beat them.
    I don't think Ohio State set the blueprint. They were just following the one Boise State provided.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought (and still do) that Alabama is the best all around team in 2010 but then they lost to South Carolina by 14.

My take is that they are better than Auburn until Auburn beats them. Auburn continually surprises me this year and it's been one of the most fun seasons I can remember.

As it stands, Alabama could win out and still not play in the championship game.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I am not saying Oregon isn't an impressive team. But I don't think they are a head and shoulders top tier team. I still am not seeing the Oregon Qb getting hit. That was the difference between the rest of teams on their schedule last season and the Rose Bowl. Ohio State got to the QB. Of the teams at the top of the rankings, Alabama is the only one that I see as being able to stop Oregon.

For the record this year's OSU team does not have nearly as good a defense as years past. Injuries have riddled this secondary. I will be surprised if they can beat Iowa.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I don't think Ohio State set the blueprint. They were just following the one Boise State provided.
    In that game Oregon had some horrible mistakes, and lost their composure. I didn't really come away from that game thinking Boise State had beaten Oregon, I thought Oregon gave that game away.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    In that game Oregon had some horrible mistakes, and lost their composure. I didn't really come away from that game thinking Boise State had beaten Oregon, I thought Oregon gave that game away.
    Really? Oregon didn't have a first down in the first half. That's pretty solid domination.

How about 2008? Did Boise beat Oregon that year, or did Oregon beat themselves?

I watched the Boise State game last year. Oregon shot itself in the foot time, and time again. It really isn't worth arguing about.

This is 2010, Oregon is very good, I just think that in order to be tested they will have to face a top defense.

Fair enough, but if you're going to cite Ohio State's win over Oregon last year, you should also cite Boise State's throttling of them. And the lack of a single first down by Oregon in the first half of that game frankly bolsters your argument about what happens to them against good defenses (Boise's defense is statistically #1 right now; obviously strength of schedule skews that some).

I voted overrated because it gave me the oportunity to say something negative about the SEC.

I know they play great football and all that, but I just get tired of the self-aggrandizement. So sue me.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Because there are no great teams this year, and they've got as good a case as anyone to be where they're at, I voted 'no.'

That said, I do think their defense is borderline awful, and not championship material. I think they'll lose to Alabama, if not another game or so in between.
    I think Oregon is close to being 'great.' They're the opposite in terms of ALabama from last year. Their offense is unstoppable ('Bama's D was immovable) and their D is good enough to win a NC (just as 'Bama's offense was).

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I think Oregon is close to being 'great.' They're the opposite in terms of ALabama from last year. Their offense is unstoppable ('Bama's D was immovable) and their D is good enough to win a NC (just as 'Bama's offense was).
    I'm no SEC apologist, but I'd wager if Oregon had Auburn's schedule to this point, we wouldn't be viewing them as unstoppable.

This is still another reason why we need a playoff. Under the present system, Oregon or Bosie St for that matter, will only have to win one big game in order to "be tested". In a playoff they'd have to beat about three teams. As a fan I feel cheated. I'd like to see Oregon have to beat three very good teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I voted overrated because it gave me the oportunity to say something negative about the SEC.

I know they play great football and all that, but I just get tired of the self-aggrandizement. So sue me.
    Enjoy this season then because I have my doubts that the SEC will even place a team in the NC game

Oregon would go undefeated in the NFL but would probably lose 3-4 games in the SEC.

Looking at Auburn's schedule, Oregon would more than likely be undefeated if they had the same schedule as Auburn. I don't see a big difference in their schedule compared to Oregon's.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 11-01-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm no SEC apologist, but I'd wager if Oregon had Auburn's schedule to this point, we wouldn't be viewing them as unstoppable.
    That's a fair argument. But then again, look at some of the scores in the SEC this season. Oregon's offense is the best in the nation IMO. They put up 48 at Tennessee, more than any other team this year. While Tennessee isn't a great example, it's a starting point. They had to travel 2K miles and they put 48 points on an SEC defense. I know UT has given up some points, but think about the conditions the game was played in too.

I think Oregon is legit this year more than any other. I think they're going to the NC against whomever the voters want.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    After a week one loss to Boise St. the 2009 Oregon Ducks put up points of 38, 31, 42, 52, 24, 43, 47, 42, 44, 44, and 27. Everyone was talking about how unstoppable their offense was going into the bowl game. Lets be wary of history repeating itself when talking about Oregon's unstoppable offense.

Turn Off Ads?