Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Auburn's football team overrated?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

11 26.83%
  • no

30 73.17%
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Auburn overrated?

Re: Is Auburn overrated?

They aren't bunched together.

For one conference to be 2 whole points ahead of the 2nd place conference is quite a bit and the SEC falls another whole point behind. That's not bunched together. The Big-10 falls a few points back and then the smaller conferences show up after that.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc10.htm

The ACC is the real joke, for sure.

All of this refers to this year only, of course.

Last year, the SEC was the dominant Conference.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-11-2010 at 04:10 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

MSU is 7-2 and a top 20 team this season. Beating them on the road is a quality road win in my book. Also, for the sake of accuracy, Auburn also played Clemson. Assuming Auburn makes it to the SEC championship game, it's looking like they will have played 9 games against teams that will be bowl eligible with as many as 6 games being against teams ranked in the top 25 of the BCS standings depending upon how the last few weeks turn out. Picking on their schedule is kinda like picking on Cindy Crawford's beauty mark.
    Playing other SEC teams at home is an easy schedule. Playing a traveling SEC team is a pretty easy match. It's no tougher than Boise State's, or TCU's schedule. There's not a single SEC team that could go beat Boise State or TCU at their place. They would all get crushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    They aren't bunched together.

For one conference to be 2 whole points ahead of the 2nd place conference is quite a bit and the SEC falls another whole point behind. That's not bunched together. The Big-10 falls a few points back and then the smaller conferences show up after that.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc10.htm

The ACC is the real joke, for sure.

All of this refers to this year only, of course.

Last year, the SEC was the dominant Conference.
    Again call me when the Oregon States (and i'm an alum who roots for them), Washingtons, WSUs, UCLAs etc of the PAC 10 actually beat good non conference opponents consistently.

UCLA did beat Texas but that's not turning out to be such coup this season. Really the only impressive out of conference victory for the PAC10 was Arizona beating Iowa. Lets look at the SEC West. Auburn took out Clemson. LSU took out North Carolina and West Virginia. Bama took out Penn State. Arkansas took out Texas A&M. Heck a down Ole Miss beat the snot out of Fresno.

The hyperbole when comparing PAC10 vs the SEC seems a little misplaced.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Playing other SEC teams at home is an easy schedule. Playing a traveling SEC team is a pretty easy match. It's no tougher than Boise State's, or TCU's schedule. There's not a single SEC team that could go beat Boise State or TCU at their place. They would all get crushed.
    The PAC 10 is loaded with teams that would crush BSU or TCU? Who in the country would be expected to crush either team in their stadiums?

Oregon might be the only team in the PAC 10 that is even capable of beating either team on a neutral field....

I have a lot of respect for Boise but come on, beating MSU, Clemson, South Carolina, Arkansas, and LSU (and hopefully Bama!) is the same thing as beating Wyoming, Toledo, San Jose State, LTU, Hawaii? TCU's schedule is an absolute joke in the context of your arguments in this thread about strength of conference and schedules.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I have a lot of respect for Boise but come on, beating MSU, Clemson, South Carolina, Arkansas, and LSU (and hopefully Bama!) is the same thing as beating Wyoming, Toledo, San Jose State, LTU, Hawaii? TCU's schedule is an absolute joke in the context of your arguments in this thread about strength of conference and schedules.
    Both Boise and TCU are good football teams. The biggest issue I have with them playing in the title game is their schedule. BSU's conference schedule looks a lot like top team's non conference (preseason) type schedule. The reason why it is so difficult to go undefeated though a college season is the grind of a schedule. You may not have what looks like a tough game, but conference road games can be disastrous. On one hand you have Alabama going to South Carolina, on the other you have Boise going to Wyoming. It just doesn't match up if you ask me. I am not saying that BSU can't be a top team, just that they don't play a tough enough schedule to warrant playing in the title game.

The only "computer" rankings I pay attention to is Jeff Sagarin's (one of six that the BCS uses). Whether it's football, basketball, or baseball, his rankings always seem to be fairly accurate in my opinion. He's got Oregon #1, but because the top and the bottom computer rankings are thrown out leaving 4 computer rankings to calculate their average, Oregon gets the shaft and falls way down to #8.

I'm sorry, but the Pac-10 is, by far, the strongest Conference in the Nation.
    With very few common opponents, it's tough to compare these conferences with any certainty. My view is that the SEC has come back to the pack somewhat this year and they have played a very boring non conference schedule.

What have you proven when you state that an undefeated PAC 10 team beat a winless (in the SEC) SEC team in Tennessee? Notre Dame and Minnesota can't be called quality opponents this year either.

It's fun to debate conference strength this time of year but it's all talk at this point.

It should be noted that you were also pimping the PAC 10 just before Bowl season last year only to see the conference lay an egg.

I think the PAC 10 plays exciting football but the question remains come Bowl season: will they play enough defense to win vs top notch opponents?

Just because their schedules aren't as strong does not mean they aren't capable of beating a better schedule. I honestly believe TCU is capable of beating ANYONE in the country, regardless of conference. That team is legit.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Just because their schedules aren't as strong does not mean they aren't capable of beating a better schedule. I honestly believe TCU is capable of beating ANYONE in the country, regardless of conference. That team is legit.
    On a one game basis I do feel that TCU could beat any team in the country. I also think that when your conference has the likes of Utah, BYU, and Air Force you have some decent conference games (although I think Utah was seriously over rated this season). My major issues is that college football isn't just a one game season. It isn't about gearing up for one game and being able to rest your players and play your 2nd and 3rd stringers. That is my biggest issue with BSU and TCU for that matter.

Lets take a look at Wisconsin's schedule. IMO Wisconsin is a pretty good football team this year. They are arguably the best in the Big 10. They had a stretch of games where they went @ MSU, Minnesota, OSU, and @ Iowa. The issues isn't that the teams on the schedule were great, the issue was they were playing 3 good teams over the course of 4 weeks. Most major conference teams have a stretch of their schedule where they play good teams week after week. I just don't know if BSU or TCU could run the table when they are force to bring their A game every week. It is easy when you have a couple of weeks to get ready for a big game and then have another couple of weeks to get healthy for another big game. It isn't so easy when you have 6 days.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

All told the Pac-10 is 10-8 this year against quality teams and/or BCS Major Conferences outside the conference. What's of note is the total number of road games against quality opponents, something the ACC and the SEC schools avoid like the plague, maybe not all, but certainly Florida State has always been guilty of that. The Southwest schools, Oklahoma, OK ST, Texas and Texas Tech haven't been afraid to do that. Teams like Florida State won't even play a decent school at home, instead opting for 3 or 4 patsies to warm up their Conference season.
    Ummm... not quite?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...midable/080905
    Last edited by IslandRed; 11-11-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to come across as harsh as originally written
    Not all who wander are lost

wrong thread
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Again call me when the Oregon States (and i'm an alum who roots for them), Washingtons, WSUs, UCLAs etc of the PAC 10 actually beat good non conference opponents consistently.

UCLA did beat Texas but that's not turning out to be such coup this season. Really the only impressive out of conference victory for the PAC10 was Arizona beating Iowa. Lets look at the SEC West. Auburn took out Clemson. LSU took out North Carolina and West Virginia. Bama took out Penn State. Arkansas took out Texas A&M. Heck a down Ole Miss beat the snot out of Fresno.

The hyperbole when comparing PAC10 vs the SEC seems a little misplaced.
    I thought I was pretty clear in my original thread. SEC schools fail to schedule non-conference away games against anybody who could half-way give them a run for their money. Pac-10 schools, along with Big-10 schools, do the opposite.

Thus, the SEC (and ACC) schools take every possible chance to ensure that they have good "overall" records as the only competition they get is from inside the conference. If the conference is in a down year, there's absolutely no way, record-wise, that the conference will suffer because they won't ever play anyone outside their conference.

This is a year where the SEC is weak....extremely weak, and every team in that conference is sure to lose their Bowl game as proof of it at the end of the season, even those teams that have "home" Bowl games.

You asked me to show you where the Pac-10 beats good non-conference teams regularly. That's a strange request when the SEC doesn't even schedule games against good non-conference teams. The Pac-10 schedules them and they win them, too. As does the Big-10, and to a lesser degree, the Big-12.

The SEC and ACC are jokes for conferences when it comes to football as they are all too afraid to schedule quality road non-conference games. I already pointed out the list of quality Big-10 and Pac-10 road non-conference games for 2010, and there's no difference when you look back at any of the previous 10 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    ....ummmmm.....quite.

From the article, a two-year old article at that, and it doesn't talk about specific games that Florida State played, only the traditional Miami game, which is an in-state game....it's not like they were "traveling" or anything, while losing their last 4 to Florida when the article was written.

"The Seminoles have begun playing softer nonconference schedules in recent seasons, including -- gasp! -- Division I-AA Citadel in 2005. The Seminoles will play more I-AA teams (two) in 2008 than they did in the previous 12 years combined."

It's all about road non-conference games. Are they going to Ohio State, USC, Michigan, Oregon, Texas, Alabama, Boise State, Utah....schools where they have to do some real traveling while playing at venues where they will probably lose? I don't see them scheduling those games. But, maybe they're changing. They were at Oklahoma this year. They lost by 30 points. That might make them never schedule a tough road game again for the next 10 years. I hope not.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-11-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What have you proven when you state that an undefeated PAC 10 team beat a winless (in the SEC) SEC team in Tennessee? Notre Dame and Minnesota can't be called quality opponents this year either.
    The point that when the game was scheduled, Tennessee was predicted to be a Top-10 team in the country, as everything was going right for the program. That Lane Kiffin threw them under the bus was no fault of Oregon's, even though Oregon still beat them more easily than some of the "quality" SEC's have played them.

The PAC 10 is loaded with teams that would crush BSU or TCU? Who in the country would be expected to crush either team in their stadiums?

Oregon might be the only team in the PAC 10 that is even capable of beating either team on a neutral field....

Stanford would beat either team.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It's all about road non-conference games. Are they going to Ohio State, USC, Michigan, Oregon, Texas, Alabama, Boise State, Utah....schools where they have to do some real traveling while playing at venues where they will probably lose? I don't see them scheduling those games. But, maybe they're changing. They were at Oklahoma this year. They lost by 30 points. That might make them never schedule a tough road game again for the next 10 years. I hope not.
    I had just had to gig you about singling out FSU because their historical reputation is the polar opposite of "ducks tough non-conference games," so if that's your perception, either you're getting them confused with someone else or your sense of college football history doesn't go back very far. FSU made its reputation on intersectional road wins.

But since you asked, just in the past four years they've traveled to Oklahoma, Colorado, and BYU, and played Alabama at a neutral site. And that doesn't count playing Florida, which is still a tough road game even if it is within state borders. If you need the rest of the chapter and verse, I'll be happy to provide it. : But if you want to see it, I'll send it via PM, since this is an Auburn thread, not a Florida State thread.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?