Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Jukich to Korea

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Ben Jukich to Korea

Haven't seen this elsewhere, but I'm in Caracas right now and the local Press is reporting that Ben Jukich will be heading to Korea to play for the LG Twins.

Ben is currently playing for the Caracas Leones with a 1-0 record and a 0.96 ERA in 9.1 innings with 15 ks.

I'm assuming the REDS let him go.

http://www.eluniversal.com/2010/10/3..._2085642.shtml
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ben Jukich to Korea

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Haven't seen this elsewhere, but I'm in Caracas right now and the local Press is reporting that Ben Jukich will be heading to Korea to play for the LG Twins.

Ben is currently playing for the Caracas Leones with a 1-0 record and a 0.96 ERA in 9.1 innings with 15 ks.

I'm assuming the REDS let him go.

http://www.eluniversal.com/2010/10/3..._2085642.shtml
    The article says that the Reds sold his contract; doesn't look like it was Juckich's decision.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

But don't teams have to get the player's permission before selling his contract overseas?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    But don't teams have to get the player's permission before selling his contract overseas?
    Pure speculation on my part, but I can't imagine that they can do so without having the players permission.

-The Insider-

Yea, I'm pretty sure he had an offer from them and he (Jukich) wanted it. In reality, he didn't have a spot for the Reds so it's not a huge loss.

He can make hundreds of thousands of dollars in Korea, while only being able to make around $60K if he stayed in the states, unless, of course, he made it to the majors. Most veteran minor leaguers would love to play in Korea at the end of their career.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

closer41

Can you tell me about him? I'm LG TWINS's fan so I wanna know about him
    strength..weakness..pitch type...avg speed.....
    Help me

Quote Originally Posted by closer41 View Post
    Help me
    After 2006, Baseball America said Jukich had the best curveball in the Oakland Athletics' system, and it is clearly his best pitch. He also throws a slider and a two-seam fastball that stays in the mid-to-high 80s but can reach 93 MPH as a reliever. He's a groundball pitcher, so if he has good infield defense behind him, it can be a major factor for his success. He has good control but gets wild in the strike zone on occasion.

edit:
    He also throws a changeup, but he never through it the last few times I saw him.

Help me
    Did he sign with the LG Twins? I think Jukich will have success in the Korean league. He has a smooth delivery, a good curveball, and a fastball that probably is in the high 80's (I'm sure he has other pitches too, but these are the ones I could see from my seats). He struggled with his control earlier in the season, but at the end he figured it out. His last 5 starts were his best of the year, in fact, he started the last game of the season for the Louisville Bats (Reds AAA), in which the Bats had to win the game to win the division (and Columbus had to lose, as they did), and pitched a gem. So, he is a big game pitcher (that said, he gave up 8 runs in his playoff start, but he did not pitch as poorly as that sounds). Davedirt might have better scouting data - this is just from games I have attended from seats down the line, or games I have watched on tv, so it might not be that accurate.

Here is a youtube video of him warming up YouTube - Bullpen at Brighthouse Field in Clearwater.

I've never seen Jukich throw anything over 88 mph. And I've only seen 88 mph a few times.

He's a junkballer who throws well in AAA, might be a fairly effective long reliever for a year or two, or, more likely, is AAAA fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I've never seen Jukich throw anything over 88 mph. And I've only seen 88 mph a few times.
    I'm pretty sure I have seen him hit 90 - 91 on the Slugger Field gun numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have seen him hit 90 - 91 on the Slugger Field gun numerous times.
    I was the reader at Louisville field hit 93 three times on Labor Day.

I've always liked Jukich and thought he could carve out a useful existence as a lefty swingman who could spot start or come in out of the pen early in a game to turn line-ups around. Realistically, it was going to be hard for him in Cincy, but maybe after a couple years of success in Korea, he'll get a chance somewhere.

I hope he makes some dough and earns some security for his family while he's over there.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-02-2010 at 08:09 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The thing that I liked about Jukich was his consistency. He never was the best arm on the Bats but at times he was the best starter. He didn't suffer the downswings that the other pitchers had.

Help me
    Ya, Well, he is with LG Tweens right now, practicing at Pittsburgh Pirates Spring Camp in Bradenton Florida.
    Just had dinner with him and Ken Griffey Sr who is couching LG players...
    I am not allowed to tell you much, Beacuse LG wants to keep him in shadow for a while. Other than that, you can ask me anything you want., even in Korean.
    Last edited by Patrick; 11-19-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Turn Off Ads?