Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if...

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

What would you do if...

the Reds did what the Browns did in the '90s. Relocate with a new name, but take the personnel with them; but then have another Reds team pop up in Cincy within the next couple years as part of an agreement with the league. Would "still" be a fan of the "Old Reds", are would you "become" a fan of the "New Reds?" I think I'd try to become a fan of the "New Reds," as then you get their games on TV, their stadium close, etc.

Normally I wouldn't clutter the board up with this, but it's a slow off-season.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: What would you do if...

I'd probably take the opportunity to shift my fandom to a team who embodies the same general philosophy I do. I haven't had a regional tie to the Reds since I was 8 years old, I might as well support something I believe in.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I hate American League baseball, but I'm guessing it would be "hello White Sox" for me...

I would become a fan of the new Reds. We root for laundry. The names on the backs and the faces under the caps will come and go, but I'll always be a fan of the team wearing the red and white uniforms with the wishbone "C".

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I would become a fan of the new Reds. We root for laundry. The names on the backs and the faces under the caps will come and go, but I'll always be a fan of the team wearing the red and white uniforms with the wishbone "C".
    This is where I'm at. Also, at the new sig.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

The new Browns are still the Old Browns. Same fan base. The old Browns, now the Ravens, are the Ravens. With Stover gone, wasn't he the last one? Anyhow, I'm a Reds fan, it would probably mean I didn't have a favorite team until the new Reds arrived, then I would root for them. Consider it divorce and remarriage.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Isn't this, more or less, what happened to the original Reds? Left and went to Boston.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Isn't this, more or less, what happened to the original Reds? Left and went to Boston.
    Essentially, yes. Although I believe a couple different ones popped up shortly between the original Red Stockings and the present-day Reds, such as the team that was banned for selling beer. Anyways, I assumed none of you were alive for that one, except maybe RFS.

I'd go postal and wind up in the big house....of course I almost went postal after game 2 anyway

Probably root for the forth version of the Reds, or fifth, depending on what you accept.

Be funny to still see "Established 1869" up there
    Go Gators!

I'd probably be done with baseball. I'm watching less and less sports every year as it is. I watch every UK FB & BB game, but I've quit even bothering to record the Bengals games (I work Sundays 12-9).

If the Reds moved (as in your scenario), I'd probably just not watch baseball on TV. I'd probably make it to the Park a timeor two a year because I like the live baseball experience so much, but my rooting interest would e pretty tepid.

I'd think the same small market economics would plague the expansion Reds, so I'd think starting from scratch would mean a pretty wretched team for a pretty long time. Luckily, I don't see the Reds going anywhere though.

Players come and go anyhow. The team everyone would be rooting for in 20 years would be made up of a new group of players, so I suppose having a new team would simply be a much expedited microcosm of the process

As has been mentioned, I suppose we typically pull more for the city, the jerseys and the brand name than we do the collection of players. Fans view the team as a representation of their city, or at least did, more than a representation of the individual players. Free agency has diminished that somewhat, but yet it's also strengthened the philosophy.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Where's Art Modell? Cannot think of one person on this Earth I despise more....but thats not here nor there. I would obviously be a "new" Reds fan, there is no doubt about it. The "old Reds" would then become a bitter enemy and my most hated rival, and I would think anyone who followed them would be ruthless traitors.

But I've been through it before, so I'm a little partial.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

expedited microcosm
    You must be a writer, lol.

Be funny to still see "Established 1869" up there
    Yeah, but I don't mind it.

I would become a "fan" in the sense that I am with the Bengals.

If they're going good..."Go team!" Otherwise the NFL becomes a harmless way to nap in front of the TV on Sunday afternoon and get out of doing work I should do. I can find some team that I'll have a preference for....It's not the same as rooting for a team, but it's what I would have.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Turn Off Ads?