Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Junior Arias

1 0.99%
  • Brad Boxberger

2 1.98%
  • Daniel Corcino

0 0%
  • Jonathan Correa

0 0%
  • Zack Cozart

65 64.36%
  • Danny Dorn

2 1.98%
  • Juan Duran

1 0.99%
  • Mariekson Gregorius

0 0%
  • Ismael Guillon

3 2.97%
  • Jacob Johnson

0 0%
  • Donnie Joseph

9 8.91%
  • Ryan LaMarre

2 1.98%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

3 2.97%
  • Felix Perez

1 0.99%
  • Henry Rodriguez

0 0%
  • David Sappelt

8 7.92%
  • Neftali Soto

2 1.98%
  • Ronald Torreyes

1 0.99%
  • Chris Valaika

1 0.99%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

My thing is this, is a Paul Janish type, Cozart, more valuable to a team than a guy like Nick Massett or Mike Adams, Joseph. To me the plus set up guy is just more valuable to a team giving 60-70 appearances and 65-75 IP than a MLB average SS.

2. Turn Off Ads?

My thing is this, is a Paul Janish type, Cozart, more valuable to a team than a guy like Nick Massett or Mike Adams, Joseph.
    I'll agree that Massett is more valuable than Janish, but I believe the consensus on the board is that Cozart is going to be a much more productive hitter than Paul Janish.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Doug,

Would you mind sharing with us your opinion of where Duran is at this point?

Thanks,
    BC
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I'll agree that Massett is more valuable than Janish, but I believe the consensus on the board is that Cozart COULD be a much more productive hitter than Paul Janish.
    Fixed!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by SYCMiniBus View Post
    My thing is this, is a Paul Janish type, Cozart, more valuable to a team than a guy like Nick Massett or Mike Adams, Joseph. To me the plus set up guy is just more valuable to a team giving 60-70 appearances and 65-75 IP than a MLB average SS.
    League average shortstops are much harder to find and are much more expensive than setup men. If Nick Masset could be traded for JJ Hardy, I would do it in a second.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

A .650 to .700 OPS is a starting caliber position player at SS. Add that Cozart has three double digit HR seasons and combined for a 17 HR and 30 SB season in AAA, and his potential for offense is much higher than the .650 to .700 range above and much higher than Janish. The biggest concern IMO is that he has shown some splits at the upper levels and as a RH bat, that could be an issue.

The trio of Cozart, along with Mesoraco and Alonso, have the only offensive resumes that appear to warrant regular playing time at the positions that they can regularly play as major leaguers from among the prospects in the Reds upper minors. Given the scarcity of competent MI who can handle the spot defensively and show some ability to hit, I have Cozart at #3 on my list behind Chapman and Mes and ahead of Alonso. I have Joseph at #5 and Sappelt, on the chance he can play as a CF, at #8. Tweeners Frazier and Francisco are 10 and 11 on my personal list.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-01-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I see Cozart's stats and I think Juan Uribe.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Beat ya to it on October 18th:

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I still am not convinced Cozart's ceiling is high enough to make him a top prospect. His ceiling is essentially Juan Uribe, with a floor a notch below Cliff Pennington. I'll take the player with tremendous upside...

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Me too. That is number 3 in the Red's system, Juan Uribe > Lyle Overbay or Ronnie Belliard.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Me too. That is number 3 in the Red's system, Juan Uribe > Lyle Overbay or Ronnie Belliard.
    What about Jose Reyes?

What about Jose Reyes?
    Too far away to put him ahead of guys at high levels who look lke they will fill important roles in the big leagues. I'm excited about Y-Rod and Hamilton, but they are at #6 & #7 for me until they at least play full season ball. Remember, Billings is a hitters paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Too far away to put him ahead of guys at high levels who look lke they will fill important roles in the big leagues. I'm excited about Y-Rod and Hamilton, but they are at #6 & #7 for me until they at least play full season ball. Remember, Billings is a hitters paradise.
    I like sure things in life too, but unfortunately those other guys you have mentioned are sure to be nothing spectacular, while the scouting reports for Rodriguez and Hamilton are bright and shiny...

I like sure things in life too, but unfortunately those other guys you have mentioned are sure to be nothing spectacular, while the scouting reports for Rodriguez and Hamilton are bright and shiny...
    Maybe so, but Juan Uribe, if he could play SS like Cozart, would be a 10+ season starter. If Hamilton and Y-Rod put up good years at Dayton, then I'll move them up on my list. There are tons of toolsy players who can't make the jump to AA let alone the major leagues. As pitching gets more advanced, we'll see.

I'm also a guy who isn't all that impressed by stolen bases, so guys like Hamilton don't get the love from me that they do from other people. I view the ability to steal a base as a nice bonus but its a secondary skill that can supercharge a guy with on base skills and power (as long as he doesn't get thrown out too much) but w/o the power or OBP, its just another Willy T. Neither guy put up much ISOp at a place where the ball jumps. Its a bit of a red flag for me, but I think Y-Rod will add power.

I went Sappelt, though he's really one of about ten or fifteen that could be put at this spot. Sappelt dominated AA, played very well in 100 ABs at AAA, and is a CF to boot. (A plus CF, if scouting reports are accurate.) He's got some pop-- a lifetime 300+/350+/450+ line-- and walks enough to be either a decent option at leadoff or a really nice #8 hitter.

If Sappelt can play LF like a CF and hits as well as he did in the minors this season, he'd add some serious value to the team.

As to Cozart, Sappelt's positional value (as a CF) is just as high as the SS and played at a higher level offensively. Sappelt's obp is 50 points (!) higher, he's hot more power, and his contact tool is much, much better. Plus he's a year and a bit younger. I suspect most posters voting Cozart aren't voting as much for Cozart the prospect, but for the hope that he's the best option as a SS next season.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    As to Cozart, Sappelt's positional value (as a CF) is just as high as the SS and played at a higher level offensively. Sappelt's obp is 50 points (!) higher, he's hot more power, and his contact tool is much, much better.
    I have to completely disagree that Sappelt has more power than Cozart. His SLG is higher but singles contribute to SLG.

Turn Off Ads?